Rapid puppy breathing at rest

Heter

I have recently adopted 3 month old Rottweiler. I am very concerned for his health, when he is resting his breathing is very rapid. My mother called the Breeder, and he said that there is no problem. I am not convinced...Is this rapid breathing normal? We live in Florida, but it isn't THAT hot, and he is inside in the AC.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
general rule of thumb i read it is 30 degrees hotter for them then for us..and some dogs are "hot" dogs and have less tolerance for any heat. Does it stop when your dog is in the airconditioning? if you are worried u should have a vet check.

showpug

First, any concern like this, your dog should be at the vet. Second, a lot of puppies appear to breathe faster than an adult dog, especially when they are hot or stressed out.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I have seen alot of puppies in my time who breath fast during rest I really go with the hot theory but I would have a vet check it out just in case. But it sounds normal to me.

Doberluv

Rapid breathing that is faster than normal respiration rate for a pup could be anything from a sign of pain to a serious health problem. I wouldn't ask on a message board about something which is that worrisome. I'd be taking him to a vet pronto. I hope your dog is OK. Let us know how he does. My thoughts are with you and him.

Doberluv

http://www.nfah.petplace.com/articles/artshow.asp?artID=2517&s=features&c=firstaid

Here Heter...check out this link. It will tell you, if you scroll down a ways, what the normal heart and respiratory rates are for puppies and adults. It will explain how it is normal for a dog's heart rate to slow and then speed back up with each respiration. Hope you can determine if this seems in line with what your puppy is doing.

Check with the vet, but one of my dogs did this for several months, and I had all kinds of tests done and she was fine. She would breathe so fast it was almost like she was on the verge of panting. She did a lot of that too. After I blew all the money on the tests, the vet summed it up:

"Molly is just a nervous nelly!"

It drove me nuts, she would pant forever after going out, even when it wasn't hot, and sound asleep would breathe like she was in terrible distress.

She breathes fast quite often even today at 6+. Even when she breathes normally, it's much deeper and faster than my other dog, King, her littermate. Her heart "pounds" too. I had that checked, too. Her only problems are bad hips and allergies.

SaveCody

My puppy does this when he sleeps. But I figured it out. I would pet him a little, and his breathing would go back to normal. In our case, I think it was just dreaming. He does not do it all the time while he's asleep. Does your do this while he is asleep or awake?

Ash47

Taco Dog
Definetely get a heartworm check. We had to put a kitty down a few weeks ago for she was completely infested with heart worms. She was a poor little stray that kind people had taken in to be spayed and brought up on her shots. They were going to adopt her, but during her anesthesia, she started breathing heavily and after a good exam and a blood check... Heartworms. The heartworms had taken over her tiny little malnourished body and she was put down. Please get your animals checked for this horrid disease. There are so many preventives that are very effective. Please just get your dog/cat started on one, and you will more than likely never have to deal with heartworms.
Let us know how everything turns out Heter.:)

Members online

No members online now.