Dog and bunnies

Saje

Island dweller
Does anyone have any tips on how to get Mikey more used to the bunnies? I just built a new, super big cage for them. It makes them easier for him to see and he runs in their yelps at them and paws at the cage. He has seen them before of course but I don't trust him around them. NEver will. He licks his lips when I bring them out. :rolleyes: That's not funny - don't laugh!

I'm not asking to be able to trust him I just want him to get used to them. Rabbits are very sensitive. They can die of fright and I just don't want to lose another one so I"m being extra cautious.

Saje

Island dweller
I have tried that. He licks his lips and whines. I don't trust him. I don't know. I think if he say them regularly he would get used to them but I don't trust him enough to just let him hang around their cage. Plus it stresses them out.

Thanks for the thought.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
now i have a guniea pig and i would never let brownie my yorkie go near her but kayko my silky plays on the floor loose with her hes very gentle with her now i been working with brownie i will never trust him like you said but when kayko sticks his head in the cage to say hello brownie wants to do the same and i let him stay where he cant bite her and he getting use to her and i say nice piggy kiss the piggy and he get excited i will never trust him but at least he not lounging at her good luck :D

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I know what you mean. I own a cockatiel named Scooter. And everytime I even consder letting a dog into the house i have to make sure that the dog does well with my two cats and Scooter.

Now Heart one of inside Chinooks does infact have a few issues with Scooter. He gets overly excited when i bring Scooter out and he's on my shoulder. But Heart is trained to the point to where i all i have to say is Go Lay Down and he does so. Like Mikey and your bunnies I will never trust Heart with my Bird alone or in my bedroom around his cage alone. Heart is fairly used to Scooter now and his quickness to respond to comands helps alot.

I do understand your fear and know how rabbits can die from fear i had a large brown lop ear when I was a kid named Muddy. Its a tricky situation im not sure maybe just with him being around the bigger cage more often turning into just a normal thing. Maybe when he gets close to the cage don't panick or make a big deal of it (not saying you do) and eventually maybe mikey will just see their cage as anouther peice of furniture and maybe learn to ignore them in their cage at least.

Saje

Island dweller
That's cute ^ :)

Thanks Love4Pits. I try not to make too big a deal of it but when he yelps at them and paws the cage I have to intervene. :rolleyes:

I make him lay down next to me sometimes and we both watch the rabbits but he doesn't seem to like that. He wants to run around their cage and harrass them. grrr.

Brattina88

Try doing frequent and possitive 'introductions'. I would suggest doing this with a head halter on you're pooch, and the bunny in an envoirment that he/she feels as safe as it can when the dog is near (wouldn't want to scare it to death :p). 'Leave It' is a great command, and would probably come in handy when it comes to things like this. Its pretty safe to say that they will never get along to where you feel safe leaving hime around them unleashed, or leashed without spervision, but he Should be taught to tolerate them / coexist or at least leave them alone on command. :D
Sometimes dogs lick their lips when they are anxious (Maddie did this when she met her first pig lol). Or Maybe he is thinking diner... :eek:
---
Carly gets along with my guinea pig, too. They're both white, so I figure the g.pig thinks Carly's a big g.pig, and Carly thinks he's a little puppy. She tried to get in his cage and lay down with him (she did this when I was trying to clean it) and if they're on the couch he runs to her and sniffs her, then she licks him. Its wierd :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.