Incoming rain will end historic dry stretch in western Washington

Doberluv

Summer got off to a somewhat late start, but wow! It sure has made up for it ever since. Just the other day, it was 75 degrees! Highly unusual for here at this time of year. I can't remember when it rained last and when it did, it was barely anything. This is rare, to say the least. It's record breaking. Never has there been a recorded dry spell as long as this. If it's global warming, I'll take more of it. (within reason of course) It's just been lovely. The flowers haven't quite gotten the message that it's fall. Well, some have. But I have had things blooming all the way into this month.

I've gotten a lot of landscaping projects finished or almost finished, but there's still more to do. The guys (my son and his friend) will just have to don their rain gear. The flagstone patio still needs to be installed, a small retaining wall by the fence needs to be done.

The fence has been painted. We beat the rain on that. But the arbor still needs to be finished and gates need to be hung. I have yet to plant my spring bulbs. Maybe I can do some of that today.

The sprinkler system is almost finished...just some fine tuning basically and have the double check valve tested and inspected to satisfy the permit from the city. Oh, and a little mulch needs to be put around some of the vulnerable plants. I think that's all. lol. This landscaping has gotten out of hand...so many different facets to it. :rofl1: I can't post pictures until it's pretty much done, which might not be in your lifetime. :D

But that lovely dry stretch is about to change. Today is the last dry dry for a long time probably. It looks like day after day is going to be clouds and rain...back to normal for this time of year. I wonder what kind of winter we'll have. Maybe it will be more severe as pay back. Or this could signal a mild winter. Who knows?

I know there's been some rare weather all over the place. This has been good for some people and not so good for others, depending on where you live.

http://www.kirotv.com/weblogs/sam-a.../incoming-rain-will-end-historic-dry-stretch/

The longest dry stretch in Seattle weather history is about to come to an end. Over the last 80 days, only 0.03 inches of rainfall has been recorded at Sea-Tac Airport. To put in perspective how little 0.03 inches of rain is, during that 80 day stretch we would normally average 3.33 inches of rainfall. Yes, we were 3.30 inches below average during the last 80 days. This all-time record dry stretch goes back to when record keeping began at the Federal Building in 1891, 121 years ago.

Here comes the rain… finally
Looking at the satellite image above, you can see what is on the way. The first storm to bring us widespread rain this season will be moving in during the Friday morning commute. This is not an overly impressive frontal system. Most areas around the sound will see around 0.10†of rainfall on Friday. Even though the rain will be fairly light, there is a lot of oil buildup on the roads from the last two and a half months of dry weather. Adding puddles to that will provide slick conditions for the drive into work or school.
Once Friday’s storm passes through, the gates will be open for more rain this weekend. Another system follows behind on Saturday, keeping us cloudy with rain at times throughout the day.

A batch of heavier rain is forecast to come in late Saturday night and into Sunday morning. This will set us up for steady rain around the area on Sunday. Another storm is on its heels for Monday. This looks to pack more heavy rain to start out next week. Winds will also be gusty on Sunday and Monday, especially north of Everett and along the coast.

1 to 2 inches of rain is possible around the sound Friday through Monday. Several inches of rain is likely over mountains. Coming off our prolonged dry stretch, flooding does not look to be a major concern at this point. The only river that could get close to flood stage is the Skokomish; the most flood-prone river in the state.

Pull the rain gear out from the back of the closet, fall weather is on the way!
-Sam Argier, KIRO 7 Meteorologist

Doberluv

LOL. Can you elaborate? Do you mean you like rain? Or you like the warm, dry weather we've been having...a virtual summer fall? I think it's very interesting though, how it's been. Of course, weather always kind of fascinates me. I should have been a meteorologist.
:D

seashells

Weird weather everywhere indeed lately! It's pouring and thundering in LA right now, where dry weather is the norm. I love it, as I love the rain, but it's weird because we haven't had a storm like this in a long time!

Doberluv

Kind of exciting....those thunder and lightening storms. I bet it's especially fun when you don't get them often. Enjoy. But don't get yourself struck! LOL.

Don't take the sun away from me!

I have two very large conifers in the yard. Once it rains it wont dry out until next July.

Romy

Taxiderpy
LOL. Can you elaborate? Do you mean you like rain? Or you like the warm, dry weather we've been having...a virtual summer fall? I think it's very interesting though, how it's been. Of course, weather always kind of fascinates me. I should have been a meteorologist.
:D
I miss the fall weather. It's my favorite season, with the giant blustery wind storms, power outages, and torrents of freezing rain. <3

Doberluv

I miss the fall weather. It's my favorite season, with the giant blustery wind storms, power outages, and torrents of freezing rain. <3
It is kind of fun when it gets crazy out there. I noticed tonight how very much chillier it is than it's been. OMG...here it comes! Brace yourself. :D

Romy

Taxiderpy
The wood stove is all stoked up. We made roast chicken today and peanut butter brownies for dessert. This weekend going to grind up the corn into nixtamal and make red beef tamales. Bring it on! :D

Doberluv

Yep Psy...you guys get that Pacific weather pretty much like we do, right? Or does Puget sound and the Olympics which create a rain shadow make a big difference?

Romy...you are sounding very domestic. I am like that too, but don't grind corn. The wood stove sounds very cozy and nice. I miss having a fireplace or stove like that. That may have to change one of these years. When it gets stormy, wet and cold, I get that home made soup making urge. It is so pleasant to cook up something nutritious and tasty when it's all yucky outside. So, I guess that's one redeeming trait about Seattle area weather in the winter.:p

Mostly the same. We're inland, hemmed in by rivers instead of a sound, so we have less fog and a bit more daily temperature range. During the winter we can hit 20f or below when continental air comes through the Columbia River Gorge.

We don't have a rainshadow of any significance so we don't get lucky dry days during a storm. Now, we're not as bad as Olympia at least.

Doberluv

Mostly the same. We're inland, hemmed in by rivers instead of a sound, so we have less fog and a bit more daily temperature range. During the winter we can hit 20f or below when continental air comes through the Columbia River Gorge.

We don't have a rainshadow of any significance so we don't get lucky dry days during a storm. Now, we're not as bad as Olympia at least.
Wow! 20 below?! Holy cow. :eek: I had no idea! It can get that way east of the Cascades in Washington but not here. Puget sound and the Olympics surrounding the area really do create an interesting and unique protection type thing in the climate. In the Olympic Peninsula, is really more intense rain shadow affect and they get very little rain. Seattle is still technically in the Olympic rain shadow, (but in a different "ring") so believe it or not, we get fairly low rain fall in inches normally. It just drizzles a lot with occasional hard rains.

It's drizzling a tad off and on this morning. It hasn't really gotten going yet...suppose to tomorrow. But the drought has broken as of this morning.

OR below ;) You know, 15 or 20 maybe, but not normally more than a week per year. It happens when that nice eastern Oregon and Washington cold air slips through that giant gap in the Cascades. Big wind, blue skies, cold!

Parts of Seattle get a rain shadow, but nothing like Sequim!

Doberluv

Oh...15 or 20 or less than that but not 20 below zero, right? lol. It got to 30 below zero in Idaho where I lived before. That's really bitter cold! 20 isn't so bad except for the dampness here. It feels much colder than 20 in north Idaho.

Oh yeah....Sequim is very unusual. It hardly rains at all there...something like 19 inches compared to about 44 inches in Seattle. It's very desert like. I was looking to move there or Port Angeles but decided it was too long a trek to Seattle and north to see my kids....something like 3 hours with the ferry and all. So, I'm settling for the rain. I ought to be use to it after having lived here for 40 years before moving to Idaho for 10.

Doberluv

Noooooooo

I took Abe for his last beach visit last night.
Well, couldn't you go still in the fall and winter? It might be blustery, but I noticed a lot of animals, especially my horses loved the wind and got super goofy. But yeah, it is kind of hard to say "good-bye" to summer.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Charlie used to swim in the inlet every day through the winter, but he was a tough little nut.

Here in Olympia it will get into the 20s, usually in December. I can remember twice in my life it got down to 0, but it's definitely not a regular thing.

lol, all the locals on my Facebook feed are celebrating the fact that it's raining. It started pouring here an hour ago. And holy crap the roads are slick! There's a lot of oil built up on the pavement after a couple of months.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It's been INSANE here. The rain, the thunder and lightening storms, the floods.

We're at the western regionals for DD and although we had some sun this morning here comes the rain.

Members online