Lord, give me the strength

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yeah I don't think he even knows he is doing it. He just does it

Now tonight has been pretty good. Got a couple dinks in him and while he is still being a bit critical of me ... He has been tolerable and not as annoying. We have all enjoyed watching transformers

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Maybe he has some depression going on....
I was really concerned about this the last time he was here and it still concerns me now. This was really my first thought. He was here last July and I was really concerned. He hardly slept and just did not seem well.

He has since starting exercising and eating better and losing weight but he won't address the possibility of depression. I can tell he is really starting to struggle with his mortality.

Snark

Mutts to you
Yeah I don't think he even knows he is doing it. He just does it
I don't know if it's worth the possible fallout, but heck, I think I'd record him being 'difficult' with you and Hannah, then play it back for him. He might not realize what he's doing is no joke until he actually sees himself...

Doberluv

My Dad got weird too when he got much older. He got quite snappy and picked on me a lot about very insignificant things. It was strange. He didn't do that to my sister. And he always was loving before. He was depressed, I'm sure and kind of withdrew. He didn't have any kind of meaningful conversation with me...very little conversation at all during about the last 10 years he was around. My Mom is turning 90 in about two weeks and she isn't grumpy at all. So, maybe old age combined with something in someone's personality just produces this atypical behavior from them. It's sad really. But at the same time, very difficult for those around them.

It is good that Hannah doesn't have to put up with that too often at least.

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
That sounds so frustrating. At least it's only for a couple days now and not a couple weeks! :yikes: Poor Hannah, but at least you can take her out for an ice cream cone or something when he leaves and reward her for being such a good sport. She sounds like a really sweet kid.

First he starts in with all his "stupid americans" B.S. and how this is superior in canada and this is superior and blah blah blah but THEN he wants us to run all over God's creation to buy things that are on sale here for a ton cheaper than he can get them back home for my sister. I mean, He wants us to drive an hour each way for a stupid cart that you pull behind a bike for my sisters kid because it's on sale for $89.
This sounds so Canadian. :rofl1: We think everything is cheaper in America. And while it usually is, it's not worth driving around like crazy for!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Today has been a better day. He's been much better behaved LOL. he can still grate on the nerves but I can handle mildly annoying VS outright obnoxious lol. He has spent some nice time with Hannah today and I got a couple good shots of them playing ball together at the family gathering. he is still teasing but not incessantly like he was yesterday

LOL tortilla... yeah it's kind of crazy. my dad, sister and brother drive to Port Huron at least once a week to stock up on groceries. But when gas is $6 a gallon how much could they possibly be saving lol

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Yeah that's what I always wonder. Everyone from home (Toronto) goes shopping in Buffalo. I never really thought the shopping was all that great there anyway, but what do I know? :p Whatever floats your boat I guess!

And Port Huron for groceries?! :yikes: My father lives in London and we do the drive to Ohio (through Port Huron) every couple months. Seems crazy far for groceries!

joce

Canada people really drive to Ohio for groceries? I have seen people with Canada plates loading up the car but assumed camping and cedar point or something. Guess they get them while they are here!

I'd leave your computer open to this page and let the fun ensue but I spent the day with the bfs family who does the cant stand you thing one day and why are you not calling me the next. Ugh. Feel for you. My dads so laid back I think he'd get a hotel to stay out of our way( but he lives close)

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Port Huron is in Michigan, right on the border with Sarnia, Ontario. :) Huron is in Ohio. I used to get them confused all the time! Huron, Ohio would be an even further trek for groceries. :eek:

Taqroy

She gets that its a joke but he takes it too far. One time is funny but then he says it again and again and again and again until she is upset or I tell him to knock it off. Then ten minutes later he starts it again with something else like "oh well guess you have to go to bed". She will laugh... She gets its a joke at first but then he keeps on it and on it and on it until everyone is ready to choke him lol. Like tonight he kept taking something she had and puttig it in his pocket saying he was going to take it home. She played along until it got past the point of being funny to her and was just making her sad and she just said "please grandpa can I have it back" in the saddest little voice and he then stopped an gave it back to her but seriously this happened DOZENS of times today.
My uncle used to do this to me all the time. And I don't EVER remember my parents stepping up and telling him to knock it the eff off - the only way it ended was for me to have a temper tantrum. (I am not and have never been a very patient person lol.) He would tease and tease and tease until I was in meltdown mode and then *I* would get in trouble. So, on behalf of Hannah, I say thank you, for at least trying to keep him from being an ass.

I honestly think you should video him doing it and then play it back for him - if he flat out refuses to listen to you and it's really bothering you it might get through to him. Regardless, ((((hugs)))) and patient ****vibes**** cause it sounds like you need both. :p

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
yeah I'm really tempted to do the video thing lol

We were out for lunch today and Hannah had to go potty so while it was just her and I in there I took the opportunity to talk about the way grandpa was acting. I just told her "I know Grandpa keeps teasing you and it's not very nice of him to do that but we also can't throw tantrums because he is being mean. When he does that just tell him no thank you grandpa or ask him to please stop teasing you."

He wont' listen to me but I think if maybe she says it he might get the idea that it's not nice. So when we went back out he started in on the "I'm going to eat all your candy when we get home" nonsense and Hannah was a champ and said "No thank you grandpa. that would make me sad and then I would cry grandpa" and he backed off on that one but he's still being a pest and she just keeps telling him "no thank you grandpa, that's not nice" lol

Taqroy

I think Hannah has more patience now at 4 years old than I have at 26. LOL. What an awesome kid you have.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
She is a great kid. I wish I could take credit lol but really she is just a nautrally mild and good hearted little girl. Although her patience level is subjective lol. When we were hardboilig eggs for decorating I think it must have been the longest 10 minutes of her life and consequently the longest 10 minutes of my life LOL

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Canada people really drive to Ohio for groceries? I have seen people with Canada plates loading up the car but assumed camping and cedar point or something. Guess they get them while they are here!

I'd leave your computer open to this page and let the fun ensue but I spent the day with the bfs family who does the cant stand you thing one day and why are you not calling me the next. Ugh. Feel for you. My dads so laid back I think he'd get a hotel to stay out of our way( but he lives close)
Lol my cousin does her Easter shopping in Northern NY every year for her kids, but we're only about an hour and a half away, depending on how fast you get through the border. She also goes about three times a year to get some groceries, but it's stuff you can't buy here (vanilla coke, certain types of chips, etc)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
She is a great kid. I wish I could take credit lol but really she is just a nautrally mild and good hearted little girl. Although her patience level is subjective lol. When we were hardboilig eggs for decorating I think it must have been the longest 10 minutes of her life and consequently the longest 10 minutes of my life LOL
lol that just makes her even cuter you know

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
It was quite funny. Ahe kept going around the house sying "DING... I think they are done. I heard it. " LOL it doesn't count when you ding and not the stove

Members online