Opinions on her weight please!

Yep, muscle will conceal spine. It's also a fact that some breeds, when kept in lean condition, do show a little bit of spine. The amount shown there is not what I'd consider a concern.

This is my Tess in what I consider ideal condition, and as you can see, there's a hint of spine showing. I think it's pretty obvious that she is not starving:

Thank you for pointing this out. Some spine showing does not necessarily equal lack of muscle. I wanted to reply to that but didn't have a picture to demonstrate with. Tess looks amazing here, btw.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Yeah I think she looks good! She could add a pound or two without worry, but I do think she's just fine as is and doesn't "need" weight. In fact she reminds me of my favorite Boxer from work, and he's beautiful to watch run and move.

Sometimes... You just have to pick your battles. *glares at Blossom* LOL

milos_mommy

The only way I'd worry about putting weight on her would be if she was gradually, continually losing weight. If she's at a steady weight, there is nothing wrong with a few vertebrae showing, especially in certain breeds, and I see lots of boxers with visible bones.

Also, keep in mind, way over 50% of the dogs you see at a dog park, vet's office, etc...are overweight. So even if you see tons of pictures of healthy dogs online, it can be a little surprising to see a dog that's a healthy weight, much less a little lean.

People literally think a dog is "starving" if you can see it's ribs at all :( When people think a heavier dog is the average, and they see a dog at a perfect weight, it looks "thin" but healthy...when you see a dog that's leaning towards the thin side (but is still healthy), it's going to look too thin by comparison.

Flyinsbt

Thank you for pointing this out. Some spine showing does not necessarily equal lack of muscle. I wanted to reply to that but didn't have a picture to demonstrate with. Tess looks amazing here, btw.
Thanks!

I'd not be at all concerned that Juno doesn't easily gain weight, if she's otherwise healthy. Some dogs are just hard keepers, especially when younger. She's at a healthy enough weight, if more weight will really make you happy, you can increase the fat in her diet a bit.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
She's always been pretty easy in the weight department.... maintains well, stays in good shape even with our somewhat lazy lifestyle. I think it was just the food changes that screwed her up. She had always been on 3 cups a day, then when I put her on Acana she was pooping a ton, so I cut her down to 2.5 cups. And she was fine. Switched her to Nutrisca, kept her on 2.5 cups, again no issues. When I put her on Canine Caviar is when I started noticing the weight loss, on 2.5 cups. So even though I bumped her back up to 3 cups, for her it probably wasn't enough to see weight GAIN since that was an amount that she had always maintained on before.

I would like to see her gain just a little more so I'll probably just play around with amounts some more. Especially since our activity should increase if the weather ever starts cooperating. The Sojos is new to us so I'm still figuring out how much she needs in comparison to kibble. Maybe upping the meat:Sojos ratio will help out too. I don't know. =P

Thanks for the input :)

If it were me, I wouldn't put more bulk weight on that dog. She doesn't look underweight to me, she looks like she's "soft," completely lacking in muscle tone. And that doesn't surprise me, you mentioned a somewhat lazy lifestyle. What you see is what I'd expect of a dog of "normal" weight with "couch potato" muscle tone. Without upping her exercise at the same time, all feeding more is going to do is slab a fat cap on her, and that isn't really healthy. Some dogs just naturally maintain a relatively normal/healthy weight and are hard to put unneeded fat on...that isn't a bad thing.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I am more alarmed that she is INCAPABLE of gaining weight, though you've tried, than I am by her weight itself. I think she looks fine. I dont like to SEE spine, but considering she looks sleek and shiny otherwise, Im willing to forgive a couple... I would definitely have some kind of bloodwork done, she is being overfed and isnt gaining, and shes not an active dog or a working dog.
Um.... 2 1/2 cups is not being overfed :confused:

Members online