Safest Calming Supplement or Drug?

Anyone know what the safest calming or sedating medication/herbal supplement is? One that does nothing to the GI system?

My parents dog Zane is an absolute mess when he has too leave the property. No problems in the woods, but if he has to be around strange dogs/people, the world is ending for him. He is all but agoraphobic. He will pull so hard he chokes himself, will melt into the ground and will bolt and has broken leashes, harnesses, and collars in the past (this is a 50 something lb dog).

He has a history of severe GI upset. He can only eat one brand of dog food, two types of dog treats, and no people food. He almost died from hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and since then his stomach is so sensitive the littlest thing can induce vomiting. So it needs to be something easy on the stomach.

We have tried trainers in the past, but he always shuts down completely and no amount of praise, attention or treats has worked.

He is a 6yr old Pittie mix, my parents have owned him since he was approx 8weeks old. The shelter they got him from recently was busted for neglect, abuse, euthing dogs for no reason (no-kill) and fraud. He was part of a litter that some psycho tied bottle rockets to and lit, he and a female where the only survivors. He also had been shot at some point during that time. So he does have some baggage. Otherwise he is a loving dog that thinks he's "momma" to several cats. I just want to see him a little happier.

If you think that is too risky...how about a thundershirt to wear while he's off their property??
I will probably end up buying that for him myself. My parents are of the "its just a dog!" school of thought. :rolleyes: Anything other then food and water is "excessive" unless the animal is sick or injured. Thankfully this is their last dog (my mom is a cat person and my dad hates taking care of animals).

I bet they have zero tolerance for his behavior when he's not home too. I feel bad for the guy. :(
You got it. My dad is an ex-army dog handler and does not understand soft dogs at all. He yells and yanks leashes (luckily he doesn't walk Zane anymore) and my mom likes him, but both of said if he gets really sick again they are putting him down. I will step in and help if treatment is an option (this dog does not get easily treated problems, we have almost lost him twice) and re-homing with his temperament is not safe. He does not have a stable temperament and will fight any dog he see's as a "threat", basically any adult dog he did not grow up with. Puppies, cats, and other animals (besides wild rabbits), he loves and will groom and play with them.

I share a house with them, so all our pets live together. They have Zane and two cats, I have Abby, Deputy (slowly loosing him to dementia), three cats, two rats, chickens and goats. Abby and Zane are sort of "caring" for Deputy right now, they won't let him be by himself and one of them must be with him at all times (they scream and cry if they can't see him).

Hi there, Zane is a sensitive dog and old enough to adapt new changes. You need to provide him proper nutrition. Since he is brand/food sensitive, try giving him food that he likes. You can mix it up with some nutritious diet for older dogs like Royal Canin Club Pro Adult (http://www.petsworld.in/royal-canin-club-pro-adult.html). This is a Royal Canin product designed to meet the nutrition and vitamin needs of adult dogs. This will supplement him with extra nutrients.

Members online

No members online now.