What do I do for this muscle injury?

milos_mommy

ARG. Google just says ibuprofen (which is not an option) and heat/ice (which is an option, but only really helps when it's ON my body, and I can't really do much except lie around if that's happening.

I don't even know if it's actually a muscle injury. I did some...exercising...yesterday morning. It wasn't anything super strenuous, but since I've been pregnant, pretty much any exercise makes me feel really sore. It's also only bad on one side (it should be equal on both sides), so that makes me think maybe I pulled something.

It started out feeling like sore muscles from working out. Definitely more severe than a basic workout, and worse on one side, which was odd, but whatever. Now, tonight, I can barely even walk. I've literally almost fallen a number of times and had to catch myself on something because of the pain in my leg/butt area. When I am walking, I'm limping pretty badly.

I know we used to have chazzers who knew stuff about sports medicine, and lots of chazzers who are into fitness. So...what the heck do I do to make this better?

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Well, there is always "RICE" - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. General stretching of the affected area, too as long as it's not painful.

Beyond that, rest is the biggest thing.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I recently injured that muscle recently as well. Heat, ice, stretch and try to keep it moving without overdoing it. Try to keep exercising and modify it to suit your comfort level :). Thats what I did and it healed up very quickly

milos_mommy

How do I compress and elevate my left butt check, though?!?! :rofl1: I guess my biggest problem is the location, it's not like I can wrap it or easily just stick an ice pack on it and go about my day.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Ask Tanya about the pidgeon stretch :rofl1:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Sports tape will let you compress and wrap ANYTHING.

When you say you did "...exercising..." what do you mean? What did you do and what exactly is injured? "Leg/butt area" meaning both your butt AND your leg?

milos_mommy

Uhhh, sex injury :p I dunno, my thighs are kind of sore...but my left gluteus maximus (I guess, it might be one of the other gluteuses) is the real issue. I have NO IDEA how that happened. Or how only one side hurts. I don't know exactly what I did, it's just gotten progressively more painful to the point where it's way past normal post-workout muscle soreness.

Hahahhaa I'm seriously wondering why I should ask Tanya about the pidgeon pose. I <3 pidgeon pose.

Saeleofu

Sports tape will let you compress and wrap ANYTHING.
Very true, but I hate to think of the amount it will take to wrap a butt :rofl1:

If it doesn't improve soon, you might consider seeing a doctor. Falling + being pregnant just doesn't sound like a good mix.

Lyzelle

:p

I have a lot of hip/upper thigh/butt/whatever pain and hot bath seems to work the best for me. Especially when the muscles are tight or I have some deep knots. As hot as is comfortable for you, then slowly start stretching out in the bath. Touch your toes, put one leg over the other and lean forward....whatever stretch hits the spot.

And then keep stretching periodically. Also, heating pad or rice sock at night...or else it'll tighten back up again by morning.

That's about all I have.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Uhhh, sex injury :p I dunno, my thighs are kind of sore...but my left gluteus maximus (I guess, it might be one of the other gluteuses) is the real issue. I have NO IDEA how that happened. Or how only one side hurts. I don't know exactly what I did, it's just gotten progressively more painful to the point where it's way past normal post-workout muscle soreness.

Hahahhaa I'm seriously wondering why I should ask Tanya about the pidgeon pose. I <3 pidgeon pose.
Pidgeon pose SUCKS with that kind of injury LOL holy hurtiness.

Keep stressing, keep blood flowing, sit on ice when you can snd gve it time

milos_mommy

If it doesn't improve soon, you might consider seeing a doctor. Falling + being pregnant just doesn't sound like a good mix.
Yeah, I haven't actually fallen yet from this, but I freakin' fall (or faint) all the time and so far I've gotten FABULOUS at falling "correctly" and not hitting my head, etc. I'm going to the dr on thursday though, so if it's not better I'll ask then.

You all are so filled with fabulous advice. Stretching in the tub sounds a lot better than stretching out of the tub.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ3BCnjrwPE
You can use tennis balls or a larger plastic play ball instead of a foam roller if you don't have one (they are pretty cheap at Wal-Mart.)

Do this stretch VERY gently (also stretches the hip flexors):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6mJ0VjK7Y

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/472
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2497

And, of course, a lunge. But again, since you're sore, be gentle with the lunge and only go deep enough that you can feel the stretch.

As far as muscle soaks go, I recommend 'em too, and you can buy muscle soak epsom salts at Wal-Mart or Target too.

milos_mommy

I HAVE a foam roller and I thought it was totally useless. I didn't even think of using it.

Epsom salts and myself have a wonderful relationship.

Taqroy

How far along are you? My doctor told me that you can safely take ibuprofen up to 30 weeks - they don't tell everyone that because most people don't listen. And after 30 weeks there are pretty serious side effects (it reduces the amniotic fluid). Might be worth asking your doctor if you're in a lot of pain though.

milos_mommy

hmm, I'm 23 weeks, and that's interesting...

I've had a lot of problems with pain (severe migraines and fibromyalgia pain) this pregnancy, and the doctors always said I could only take tylenol (and one dr even said only after the first trimester for that). I didn't specifically ask about ibuprofen.

It feels way better today, though. I stretched a lot last night, and then throughout the night whenever I tried to move I'd wake up from the pain, so I'd stretch before going back to sleep. Still sore, but way better.

Ya'll are miracle workers.

Members online

No members online now.