Breeds or group type of dogs

Grab

I think it's more dog personality than breed...we have a pretty eclectic group, but they all do fine together

Teal

...ice road...
Of course, it does depend on individual dogs, but I have found sighthounds and bull breeds to be a good combo (and I know others who have, as well). I have yet to meet a dog in a herding breed that even my mostly dog-friendly APBTs like, though. I think it's all the staring and slow movement... Between my own dogs, that is play. But a dog has to earn that, and herding breeds throw it right in which bulldogs take it as a challenge... in my experience.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Herding dogs can be rather picky, I find. Papillons too. Very overly physical breeds tend to annoy the crap out of my dogs.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I agree with Teal, that bully breeds and herding breeds don't mix well! My BC hates bully style playing and mannerisms. He'll just snark the living hell out of them.

I find that a lot of people have herding dogs and toy dogs and they do great together. Herding dogs lack true prey drive (or, the part of prey drive that leads to maiming and killing) so they tend to be very gentle with small dogs, and most herding breeds are sensitive and enjoy playing with smaller dogs more than big, physical dogs. Herding dogs usually get along with terriers too, as they'll back down to a tenacious terrier and aren't much for fighting, but they love the spunk of terriers.

Sporting breeds and hounds usually get along smashingly! Sporting breeds also do well with bully breeds, as they both love to play physically with body slams and rough wrestling.

Breeds that I've seen do well in pairs: Corgi/GSD, Corgi/Border Collie, JRT/Beagle, Husky/Border Collie, Collie/Greyhound, Bulldog/Chihuahua, Westie/Corgi, Bloodhound/Lab, Pit Bull/GSP, Pit Bull/Rottie.

MicksMom

A very general statement, but I'd be leary of having sight hounds and Siberian Huskies with Toys.

I know a few people, either personaly or through forums, who have Labs and Cavaliers.

...I have yet to meet a dog in a herding breed that even my mostly dog-friendly APBTs like, though. I think it's all the staring and slow movement...
I think you're on to something there.

JacksonsMom

I agree with Teal, that bully breeds and herding breeds don't mix well! My BC hates bully style playing and mannerisms. He'll just snark the living hell out of them.

I find that a lot of people have herding dogs and toy dogs and they do great together. Herding dogs lack true prey drive (or, the part of prey drive that leads to maiming and killing) so they tend to be very gentle with small dogs, and most herding breeds are sensitive and enjoy playing with smaller dogs more than big, physical dogs. Herding dogs usually get along with terriers too, as they'll back down to a tenacious terrier and aren't much for fighting, but they love the spunk of terriers.
This gives me hope that one day I will live with a herding breed and a terrier. Haha! Never know. I am still unsure if I "fit" with most herders.

But I will say Jackson just loved this Aussie at the dog park. We've ran into them three times now and every time he's just LOVED that dog, they chased each other for an hour. It was cute and made me think I would like a herder with Jackson. :)

Jackson does not like most "bully" type breeds - he's not big on Boston Terriers (even though he's a terrier, too), French Bulldogs, most Pitties, any breed that plays really rough and does a lot of body slams and stuff and gets in his space ignoring his warnings, he tends to get annoyed with fast. Most small terriers I know don't wanna put up with that.

His play style is a lot of running and chasing (he usually likes to be the one being chased), and he does wrestle fairly rough but it's, for the most part, not THAT physical (it just looks physical, it's really a lot of standing on hind legs like a bear, LOL).

I can't really say what breed group he would mesh with the best. He lives part-time with my dads dogs (dachshund mix and JRT mix) and he does fine with them, but I wouldn't say they really "enjoy" each other either. Honestly he got along with my moms cockapoo the best, now deceased. And I guess he does tend to flock towards other small white fluffy dogs, LOL...

In general, most people I see keep dogs of either the same breed, or very similar.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It's also the quick, swishy movements and overt confidence of a lot of herding dogs ime that my bull breeds dislike. The bullies play with hard wrestling manuvers, my herders play with soft mouth wrestling or running around chasing (which has ended up with an ass bite a few times, oops).

Never owned them myself but I hear sighthounds do well with most breeds actually.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie has killed more small animals than I would like to admit, and Payton is trying his hardest. He nearly caught a rabbit last week, would have if our yard was flat and open rather than with a garden smack in the middle of it, and was completely unbearable for HOURS afterward because he couldn't get over himself. Auggie also gets a swagger after killing something... he thinks he's hot ($*@.
Both love big dogs and wild, rough play. There's a lot of body slamming, throwing each other to the ground, throwing THEMSELVES to the ground, dive-bombing off furniture... Auggie had a reputation at doggy daycare for always picking the biggest, craziest, most obnoxious dogs to become his BFF for the day. There was a poorly bred Aussie who was ADD and none of the other dogs liked him because he was annoying. ADD AUGGIE = INSTANT BFF.

And then there's Pepper. LOL.

I agree with Grab that it's more about personality than group. People try to generalize and you can't. Don't forget that a Belgian Malinois is also a herding breed. Lack of prey drive...

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I agree with Grab that it's more about personality than group. People try to generalize and you can't. Don't forget that a Belgian Malinois is also a herding breed. Lack of prey drive...
I agree that it can work with individuals but general rules do help.

I'm confused, are you saying mals lack prey drive?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I agree that it can work with individuals but general rules do help.

I'm confused, are you saying mals lack prey drive?
OMG, NO hahaha. ihartgonzo said herding dogs lack the prey drive to kill and maim things... I was pointing out a mal is a herding dog... I guess I should have said "lack of prey drive HAHAHAHAHA" instead LOL. The tone should be one of disbelief LOL.

Red Chrome

I actually do well with a GSD and Pit Bull. They get along well and play well together. Judge prefers chase bit will engage in other play.

To me it really depends on the dogs. Which is why I typically only introduce puppies to the pack and I really evaluate temperament as to whether it will work or not.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
OMG, NO hahaha. ihartgonzo said herding dogs lack the prey drive to kill and maim things... I was pointing out a mal is a herding dog... I guess I should have said "lack of prey drive HAHAHAHAHA" instead LOL. The tone should be one of disbelief LOL.
Ohhh okay lol

Yeah...

Mucho prey drive in herders actually, I agree. Sloan's first(and only) time on goats: I video'd this hoping to get a great herding video because Backup did amazingly right before her. Well... http://youtu.be/6CI0EQwswBY (Don't click if you're squirmish)

Yeah, the camera was dropped, dog was caught, choked off, goat luckily had a ton of coat to protect it but we opt'd against ever putting her on livestock again. The best was the guy running the HICs came up to us all solemnly and said, I'm really sorry but I can't pass her after that. Well, um, duh?

JacksonsMom

Ohhh okay lol

Yeah...

Mucho prey drive in herders actually, I agree. Sloan's first(and only) time on goats: I video'd this hoping to get a great herding video because Backup did amazingly right before her. Well... http://youtu.be/6CI0EQwswBY (Don't click if you're squirmish)

Yeah, the camera was dropped, dog was caught, choked off, goat luckily had a ton of coat to protect it but we opt'd against ever putting her on livestock again. The best was the guy running the HICs came up to us all solemnly and said, I'm really sorry but I can't pass her after that. Well, um, duh?
Lol, oh my gosh, poor goat.

I would assume most herders would have a different type of prey drive than, say, a sighthound or a Husky, no?

I really don't have much experience with them at all.

Oh and I always forget GSD's are herders. And to me, they have an entirely different "prey drive" than, say, a Border Collie or an Aussie - just from the small amounts I've seen and been around.

Red.Apricot

Oh Sloan... That poor goat, lol.

Elsie's killed small animals; she hunts mice like a fox in the snow. It's adorable.

On the other hand, she's never treated a small dog like a prey item. She treats them like dogs. She adores tiny dogs.

She doesn't like dogs that play by body slamming hard, and she doesn't like being hurt by other dogs. She's leery of boxers because most of the ones she's met have been pretty rough players.

K

Kaydee

It's about energy level and play styles. Sophie is fast and strong so she kind of intimidates dogs that just like gentle wrestling. She does best with other bullies and some hounds and boxers, definitely any boxer. Watching two bullies having a good time is like watching a football game, run and tackle till they're both worn out.

monkeys23

All the BC's I've lived with have hunted small prey animals like birds and stuff. So yeah lots of prey drive like any breed!

Poor Will, he was a kennel dog most of his life before my parent's bought him. It took him a while to learn how to play with other dogs. He has a blast with the girls now though. He plays pretty rough and tumble, but thats probably because his play style is modeled off of theirs.

Lily hates the way labs act and play. Its the one type of dog she has a short fuse with. Everyone else she's a tramp with. Oy vey!
And for some reason she has a special love for the following: any large black dog (except labs) especially Dobes, standard poodles, and doxies... even if they are mean doxies, which is just weird as all get out.

Small herding dog and large retriever. They don't mix that well.

Buster wants to chase, cut, and nip. Ruby likes body slams. Sure, he's cut her off and sent her skidding sideways before (took out my wire fencing for the garden!) but largely they want to play in different ways.

elegy

overdogged
I actually do well with a GSD and Pit Bull. They get along well and play well together. Judge prefers chase bit will engage in other play.
Steve does really well living with two bullies. He and Luce play. He and Mushroom don't have any great love for one another, though.

But he HATES other bullies. He doesn't like dogs in his face, and they tend to be super-exuberant, in-your-face, don't take no for an answer type of dogs.

He hates Labs as well.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Ohhh okay lol

Yeah...

Poor goat, but I have to say Emme was the same way when I first put her on sheep. She wanted to kill that **** sheep. We of course got her P
Off the sheep and it was fine. And ofter that emme learned to
Tone her drive down a tad and she was able to play with the sheep again

Members online

No members online now.