Tips on running/jogging with your dog?

Penny has tons of energy and loves to run. Her mommy (me!) could use some exercise, too.

Unfortunately, it's been hard to go running or jogging with her. She'll either stop suddenly to sniff something, or worse, when we're going at a great, matching pace, she gets really excited and starts sprinting as fast as she can (which is VERY VERY fast) and ends up dragging me for a bit until I get her to stop.

Any tips?

Thanks!

W

Whitedobelover

lol... well just patience and try to work on a good stop command or heal command so she doesnt get excited to much... but i have no other ideas :D

andy.

i run with mine across the fields if one of them gets far ahead i call them and they will wait for me but they generally dont stop to sniff when they are on a run uness its another dogs *cough*, i only ever run with mine on the lead when it starts to rain and we are getting to shelther, the dont like the rain either so they will just sprint wich helps me go faster lol.. *thinks about having dogs run while wearing rollerblades..... XD* if you cant get to an open area easily try this technique to stop pulling: if she pulls just stop dead and when she looks back at you to see why you stoped turn around and walk in the other direction, then if she pulls again do the same thing..... you should really try to do this away from people, you can get some very funny looks! :p, but she should soon learn that puling dosent get her anywhere, as far as stopping to sniff stuff i dont know how to help there :(... clothes peg over the nose maybe?

Nice to meet a fellow runner :)
Absolutely work on heel and loose lead walking slowly and then work up to running. One of the biggest reasons I got Chi was to groom her to be my jogging partner :) It's killing me to wait until she's mature in bone and joint growth to really run with her...

yentna

It's a pain at first, Jean Luc and I are just getting into a rythmn. He's fully grown, and doesn't show signs of joint problems, so I've been taking him on long hikes every couple of days (not fast, just hiking) and have started taking him on little half-hour jogs every evening or every other evening (get me into shape too!).

Last night we were jogging after dark, with enough light to see the grass and sidewalk and so on, and he was finally getting the hang of keeping pace with me. Only a couple times where he HAD to smell something and stopped me short, otherwise when he wanted to smell something I'd say "c'mon" and he'd immediately catch up to me (on the leash of course). It's just been a matter of continuously working with him at home to immediately come to me when I say "c'mon" and that helped tremendously! Otherwise it was HIM walking ME!

On a funny note:
The other thing that is difficult is that he doesn't seem to realize when we're running that I'm right behind him. Last night he spotted something that startled him and stopped cold, right in front of me! Mommy and doggie ended up rolling across the grass, dog tangled in my feet, trying so hard not to land square on him. I'm sure he thought I was after him!

Members online