Purebred dogs and crossbred dogs

SharkyX

Back of the Pack
Both my dogs are at some point cross bred dogs.
They are Alaskan Huskies, bred for sledding(one much more carefully then the other mind you).
The only other dog I would possibly consider would be the racing lines of siberians.

That's what works for me, and really that's what this discussion comes down to. You get the type of dog that works for you and your lifestyle, be it a purebred or crossbreed. So long as you take good care of it that's the truely important part :)

What caused you to buy/adopt your purebred dog over a crossbred? What caused you to buy/adopt your crossbred dog over a purebred? Are you interested in owning another dog breed(s)? Why or why not?
Price and personality. I got my first dog from a shelter because I was a kid and my family's financial priority wasn't spending $500 on a dog when you could get one for $35 at a shelter. We adopted her because my mom loved her at first sight; she was racing around her kennel, trying desperately to smear herself against the wire despite the crowd of dogs that kept pushing her back. When the door was opened, she threw herself into our arms. It wasn't a matter of breed or mix, it was 100% her personality. You could tell she was a wonderful dog. It turned out that she was a purebred, a Bearded Collie. I've owned two mixes since, a terrier/husky and a Beardie mix, and I really do love the softer, sweeter collie nature. But my terrier/husky mix was a soulmate. So I don't know about the future. I'll always go back to the beardies because it's like coming home, but I like that terrier head of my last dog, that trot and that pride. And there are so many breeds I like the look of: hounds, I've always loved the idea of the big hounds, especially.

Sharky Excellent Point what is a purebred dog?

TO make a new breed today all the reg require is a 3 generation of breeding like to like - pure to pure and no more outcrossing to other breeds used in the foundation.

Not to long ago working dogs were bred to WORK.
They were not bred on Looks but how they performed.

I picked a Healthy landrace of a breed that were not bred by or with show in mind. ( even thou I do show).

Central Asian Shepherd dogs were once working Breeds <S>.
Bigger heavier darker ones in the mountains. long legged, lighter coated ones in the deserts... That could be separated one day into 2 maybe 5 different breeds based on color type , head, size.

I prefer dogs that are NOT inbred to look alike like dominos.

But as all even my breed has the push to change a 70 + year working standard into a show standard and to separate types.

With no fences in areas of Alaska just like Central Asia.
Intermixing between generic working dogs like ASD, Kangal, CO, CAS and names some use now like Gamper, etc naturally occured.

This happened LONG before they became a "breed " or in this case separate breeds.

What makes a breed is going to be different in each ones eyes.

As a Breeder I based my picks on temperament , heatlh, working ability first
if they happen to be the "show color" or type of the year thats great.
IF NOT so be it.

So what WORKS for me will or may not WORK for others.
I just wish I could enjoy them more vs hearing YOU MUST CONFORM to what we want to see in the breed today because this type is winning dog shows.

As a pet owner and rescue person sorry I miss Snoopy, Snickers and Smokey the mutts in my life .. Something about them well makes they special to me.

joce

*My beagle terrier mix we got from the pound. We picked her because we just wanted a friendly dog for me and my little brother,something not to big or to furry.

*My husky we got mostly because we were dumb and din't put enough research into it quite honestly. I wanted something fluffy and loved the wolf like look and my mom wanted a dog that wouldn't mind being outside(boy did we fail!)

*My corgi we got because we had researched the breed yearsbefore and decided against it since we had no real jobs for one but my mom fell in love with her and had a plan for goats and chickens and the dog would work with her and so on(and it never happened)

*My dobe we got mostly because I love big breeds but we had also just moved to the middle of nowere and we needed a security system:p Its worked out quite well.

And at the moment we still have morty here and thats just pure chance we got him I guess. It could have been any breed and I probally would ahve gotten it.

Boemy

I'm fond of mutts because they start off with that little bit of bad luck and need all the help they can get. Also, they have do tend to have less health problems than your average puppy mill / BYB purebred rescue. My girl was a lab / border collie mix and just a splendid, well-mannered dog with the best temperament you could ask for. :)

2BlackDogs

I didn't really think about if I should get a purebreed dog over a mixed breed when I decided i wanted to get a dog. I wanted a dog who I could bond with and who would fit in our family the best. It didn't matter to me if it was a purebreed or not.

When I found the perfect dog, it was acutally by accident. A neighbor was rehoming his dog and I said if He got along ok with the family, I'd love to take him. He's a newfie/lab. He's the best dog I've ever had. Needless to say I fell in love with him at first sight and he's wonderful. Well mannered and has a wonderful personality. But if he would have been a purebreed lab and still had the same personality, I would have taken him still.

BostonBanker

Like a few others, I didn't go for purebred vs mutt. I knew I wanted a rescue dog, and Meg happened to be the right one. Although the rescue called her a purebred Mountain Cur, I didn't even know it was a real breed. She's listed as a Cattle Dog x in some places, and pit x in others. Only after contacting a few breeders did I start to realize she is a Mountain Cur. Not a breed I ever would have aimed for, but, as an individual, she's perfect.

I think I will always do the same - rescue the right dog for me, not necessarily the right breed. When Meg is snuggled up with me in bed, I look at her and compare it to her life a year ago - sharing a crate with another dog at a high-kill shelter, and it makes me want to find others like her. There are some really amazing dogs out there, being killed in shelters just because nobody was willing to take a chance on them.

I have nothing against responsible purebred breeders, and there are a few purebreds I may seek out in my life (rescues). But for what I do with my dog (companion, some agility, and hopefully some tracking and rally this summer), there is no reason in the world I need a purebred.

taratippy

I always knew what breed I wanted and I also knew I only ever would take rescue dogs, unfortunately there are thousands of my particular breed in rescue so not a problem for me. Ive also got crossbreed but they're lurchers so again no problem with finding them in rescue!

Members online

No members online now.