Spanky and Bandit are jump up to give mommy kisses kind of guys, any suggestions?

My two boarder collie pups jump up and give you kisses all the time. You tell them to sit, they do, but then three seconds later they are in your face kissing you again. Not only is this rude but I have a healing septum ring and every time they jump up they hit my nose and it causes me a great deal of pain.

They start obedience classes on Monday, but any pointers before we go would be wonderful.

Thank-you, Paige

Gillian

Raise your knee the instant you see them crouch slightly in preparation to jump. This makes it uncomfortable for them and they will soon learn not to do it.

Gillian

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
No raising the knee, no noise, no eye contact, no speaking, no attention in any form whatsoever, good, bad, angry - nothing. Complete and total lack of attention and in fact, absolutely pretending they're not even there is the way to cure jumping up. They do it for attention and to say hello of course, but if they don't get attention they'll soon learn that jumping up does not have a pay-off. Remember, to a dog, any form of attention is good attention - even if you yell or say `No!' or `Down!' or similar. You are still acknowledging them if you do that, so don't acknowledge them at all and then there is no pay-off, and they'll stop. You have to be consistent and you have to make everyone who comes into contact with them do the same thing - there's no point in you doing it if they get a pay-off from others.

With dogs, it's all about opportunity and reward. If they get what they want by exhibiting a certain behaviour (and in this case what they want is attention) then they'll keep exhibiting that behaviour. If they get attention when they sit nicely on the floor and don't jump, then they'll do that. It's very simple - and it definitely works, but you have to do it properly and you have to be consistent.

Members online