Anyone else have a nudist dog?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin is such a nudist. He fuses with harnesses, scratches at collars and is SO HAPPY at the end of the day when I take them both off. I have tried all kinds of collars (super soft nylon, hemp, leather) nope nope nope! lol he just doesn't like them!

haha he has grown out of "fussing" with his collar/harness (scratching at them etc..) but still, you can tell from how impatient he is to have them off that he does not approve :rofl1:

It sucks because he has so much cute stuff and he works at a dog store but he will NOT go to bed at night with a collar on lol I even had him checked by the vet to see if maybe it was an allergy or something, nope! He is just fussy.

Anyone else have this problem? Have you found a super light collar that they are fine with?

Saeleofu

Gavroche didn't like wearing collars until I got his Ella's Lead collar, which is lined in suede and super soft/smooth. He still messes with it sometimes, but that usually means it needs to be cleaned.

Logan HATES wearing pretty much anything, but he accepts the harness, vest, and collar, and the halti when needed, without fuss. He actually never, ever fussed over the halti, which really surprised me. He goes naked at home more to preserve his coat than to satisfy a deep-seated urge to be naked :rofl1: But sometimes he still pouts about putting the harness on, until he realizes that means we're going somewhere. If I'm just putting it on to measure/adjust things, he knows it, and acts like it's torture :rolleyes:

If you want something minimalist, maybe a super light, super simple, polypropylene (lighter than nylon, it floats) collar with a small slide-on tag? You can get collars with no buckle even, the only hardware can be a slide to adjust it with - and that can even be plastic. Or a braided collar tag (like Braid-a-Roo makes), those seem fairly unobtrusive.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I have this problem sometimes at obedience trials. My dogs never wear collars at home, so when we are in the ring, Balto has more than once, plopped on his butt to scratch his neck. :(

milos_mommy

My dogs always fuss with their collars after a while, but I think that's because my parents will NOT leave a collar on them at home. If we get back from something and I leave the collar home my mom is like "why is his collar on him?"

"BECAUSE HE'S A DOG?!?"

I have a feeling they'd be fine with them on if they were used to them.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Chloe doesn't love collars either and most of them rub the fur off of her neck, but I found an ADORABLE cheetah print collar at DOLLAR TREE for $1 (obviously lol) and it's perfect!! It's cheap so it's super light weight. I have it on her as a tag collar and it doesn't bother her at all, she even sleeps in it. She has a puppia harness for walking.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Moses seems a lot more comfortable without a collar on, so I just put it on for walks and that's it.

Cali loves being a "nudist" but at minimum she always has her harness on unless she just had a bath and she's drying off. My sister always says, "oh my goodness Cali, you actually look like a dog!" whenever she doesn't have a collar/harness/sweater on. But, at five pounds, sweaters are obligatory when it's -35 degrees outside.

adojrts

I guess my dogs are nudists lol. I very seldom have collars on them (and NEVER in a crate unless under direct supervision), but having said that if they are wearing a collar they don't seem to mind.

JacksonsMom

Jackson's neutral about nudity. :rofl1: I don't really think he cares either way... I do typically take his collar off when it's bed time, but he really wouldn't fuss with it either way and has slept with his collar on before. He's even slept with his Puppia harness on before... I just forgot.

Sweaters/coats/etc though... when we come inside, he will rub against all the furniture and the floor like it bothers him. I never leave clothes on him when we're inside.

Puppia is the only harness I will leave on him for really long periods of time though. They're so comfy and he just doesn't even notice they're on really like he does sometimes with other harnesses.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Mine used to wear them 24/7 except when crated so they don't mind collars. In fact, most of them get super excited when they get a collar put on because it means we are going somewhere. Aeri's so thrilled she shoves her head into any collar I pull off the hook...

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I have this problem sometimes at obedience trials. My dogs never wear collars at home, so when we are in the ring, Balto has more than once, plopped on his butt to scratch his neck. :(
Sloan as well, she hates collars. My other dogs don't mind a ton but Backup definitely prefers being without as well.

Mine don't seem to like or dislike them. They go nude in the house and yard since I have neck-grabbing wrestlers, but they wear collars whenever we leave our property and have never seemed especially bothered by them.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mira prefers to be without a collar but they don't seem to bother her once they are on and she doesn't avoid them...she just would prefer to not have it put on. She does however HATE coats and harnesses. She deals with them but when you put them on you'd think you were torturing her...rounded back and sad eyes and tucked tail...it's pathetic lol. But then she's all jazzed up again two seconds later.

Kim has no opinion really. Put her in anything and she's pretty much fine with it.

Webster is the dress up doll of the bunch. He gets super excited if you so much as pick up a collar or harness or coat. "Pick me! Pick me! PICK ME!" lol

All three dogs will eagerly stick their head in a slip lead/martingale lead loop if you hold it out to them since I train it as a bridge.

Oh god that reminds me... Squash HATES coats SO much. Every time I try to put a coat on him he just stands frozen in one place with his eyes squeezed shut. Thank god he tolerates the cold/snow really well or it would be the end of our skijoring adventures otherwise.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
My dogs love clothes, collars, harnesses, leashes, prongs, and jackets. My dogs hate the head collar.

My puppy is a firm believer in nudity.

Hillside

Original Twin
Both of my dogs only wear collars if we are going somewhere. I have all the awesome collars that I got for Saga and she doesn't wear them... So I have only bought Nico a couple. Neither one of them MINDS wearing a collar though.

SpringerLover

Buzz is cool with anything. Bailey detests the act of having things put on but doesn't mind once they're on. Ruca hadn't ever really worn a collar so it took her a while (and the right collar) to get used to wearing one. Reba had also not worn collars and never did adjust in the time I had her.

Toller_08

I think Journey's neck is just sensitive. I thought maybe she had a nylon allergy, but there's no irritation on her neck to prove that. She scratches every time I attach a leash to her collar though (cause the collar moves), and sometimes will scratch at it just on it's own too, but mostly just when there's a leash attached. Even at home when I take her collar off though, if you pet her neck she scratches at it. So for her I don't think it's really a collar thing - she's just easily irritated at anything rubbing on her neck. Not excessively so, but if anything touches certain areas on her neck she gets that itch face lol.

My other dogs don't care about collars. They scratch at them here and there just because they're not used to wearing them anymore (only wear them when we're out), but not very much.

All four dogs get super happy when I bring their collars out because they know it means they're going somewhere. And the Dobermans just like wearing things in general. When I bring out their coats or PJs they can't stuff their faces into the neck holes fast enough are are super wiggly and excited haha.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Cynder, Gracie, and cooper only wear collars (or in Cooper's case, a harness) if they're going somewhere. And although Gracie itches at her collar occasionally, none of them mind wearing their gear. (Or whatever coat/sweater I dress them up in. LOL)

Chloe wears a collar all the time and gets very excited when she gets a collar put on.

Rose doesn't care either way. Neither did Blackie. Sadie would chew on her collar if she could, but didn't mind wearing it.

Members online

No members online now.