Does "long" life appeal to you?

ACooper

snip....I don't want to be senile and unable to do anything for myself.
I always joke with my kids "I changed YOUR diapers.......it's only fair for you to change MINE" :lol-sign: But seriously, I hope it doesn't come to that, of course I'd rather 'live long and prosper'
If I have to choose, like most people, I'd rather my body break down and let me keep my memories and wits.

K

Kaydee

Definitely there's the quality of life, aunt with Parkinsons is in 70s and can't dress herself at this point...then my Dad is 90 and can run circles around us all...okay if I'm condemned to living to old age...I'll go out at 75 when a Friskies truck collides with me and hubby's Harley...yeahhhey!!!

crazedACD

I'd be happy with immortality if I was in good shape. But, I will almost certainly 'euthanize' myself if I'm at the point of going into a home and not coming out.

I do see a correlation between pet owners and longevity, at least as far as arthritis and stuff is concerned. The people still out there exercising their dogs or even doing farm work seem to do well.

yoko

My grandfather was driving up till this past xmas - when he arrived home one night at 2 AM in a shocked state claiming he "forgot how to drive" - his immediate family decided it was time for him to stop getting behind the wheel.
The next monday a caretaker was hired to care for him and he has been in a not so great state since then.
Something like that terrifies me!

K

Kaydee

I think it depends on how old you are now as well. In your teens, twenties unless you have major health issues you think of death more in the abstract...the news and of course vampires, you can kind of fool around with it...what word am i looking for? More fearless maybe? Then your thirties maybe first lines around your eyes, stretch marks eieeeee. But fifty it's like BOMMMMMP you get kicked in the butt realizing your own mortality...in twenty, maybe forty years you ain't gonna be in this world...whoaaa.

But with that in mind some stuff becomes less important-you can speak your mind easier-Bea Arthur is my patron saint, I'm going to be doing voluteer work for hospice, that's making a difference and putting life in perspective together.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I am 31. I have lots of stretch marks, gray hair popping up everywhere, lots of "laugh lines", sagging etc. Nothing to freak out over. I know it's only goin to get worse but I am not worried. I know... It is just Because I am young but really I earned every stretch mark, grey hair and wrinkle and will continue to earn them.

Plus I know where I am going when I die, just not in a hurry to get there. I am not afraid of getting older.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I've been telling people for a few years now that I'm hoping for an early death. I can't afford a long life. =P

Romy

Taxiderpy
Being old would be cool if I aged healthy. Working in a nursing home scared the crap out of me, but then a lot of people stay independent and active as they age and never go into a home.

I've got a good streak of white going in my hair so far. When I'm old and it's all white I'm going to leave it really long and not do one of those old lady poodle hair cuts with the radioactive carrot orange dye job. :rofl1:

My goal is that my 50 year old self be able to kick my 20 year old self's butt. So far so good. I was really sickly back then, and my near-30 year old self could definitely take past-me. :p

Doberluv

Being old would be cool if I aged healthy. Working in a nursing home scared the crap out of me, but then a lot of people stay independent and active as they age and never go into a home.

I've got a good streak of white going in my hair so far. When I'm old and it's all white I'm going to leave it really long and not do one of those old lady poodle hair cuts with the radioactive carrot orange dye job. :rofl1:

My goal is that my 50 year old self be able to kick my 20 year old self's butt. So far so good. I was really sickly back then, and my near-30 year old self could definitely take past-me. :p

Romy, I kicked my daughter's ass in a swimming race a couple months back. We've both been competitive swimmers. So, she was here one time and we went to the Y, swam and decided to have a couple races. It wasn't easy, but I beat her. She's 32. I'm close to 58. LOL.

Longevity runs in my family. My Dad was 92 when he died. My Mom's parents lived well into their 90's. My mom is 90 now and quite healthy, in spite of a mild stroke a while back. She's slightly confused sometimes, but certainly not to the point of non-functioning. She lives in a 3000 sq ft house, gets a little help but still cooks her meals, cleans the dishes and minor house chores. She's a bit frail but gets around okay. She's happy and gets a kick out of life, I think.

So, as long as no horrible, debilitating health issues come along, I'd go for a long life. There's a lot to see and experience yet. But I'll take whatever comes my way, hopefully gracefully.

My biggest concern is having my ducks in a row, my finances in order, and being able to leave my kids with an easier time financially. AND leaving my kids with the peace of knowing I was at peace and happy in our relationship, to have good memories to keep them going.

Staff online

Members online