Three Rules for Staying out of Poverty - thoughts?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Thanks to the Great Recession, poverty in America has increased in recent years. So what are the best ways to avoid falling into poverty? The Brookings Institution has spent a great deal of effort studying this issue. Brookings whittled down a lot of analysis into three simple rules. You can avoid poverty by:

1. Graduating from high school.
2. Waiting to get married until after 21 and do not have children till after being married.
3. Having a full-time job.

If you do all those three things, your chance of falling into poverty is just 2 percent. Meanwhile, you’ll have a 74 percent chance of being in the middle class.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/editorials/2012-01-27/story/three-rules-staying-out-poverty

Thoughts? :popcorn:

AliciaD

On second thought...
I think all of those are good points. I am especially pro-waiting to get married and have kids. It would be interesting what changes we would see if the entire country, or an entire state, decided to follow these 3 rules.

Having a full-time job can be out of your control at times though.

And from a functionalist point of view, we need "poor people".

Not sure how I feel about the middle class bit. I think a lot of people are disillusioned about what middle-class means. (RANT: Like on Pretty Little Liars, where the mom is afraid she's going to lose her (at least) 3 bedroom 2 bath house, where her daughter and she have nice, and new, things, so she steals money from a client at her bank to avoid foreclosure. Like, what? Foreclosure is incredibly scary, but lets not pretend like you will be homeless without this money. You have insurance through your job, you work full time, you could live fine in an apartment, you don't even have dogs to worry about rehoming!!!)

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I call bullshit.

Willing to work , no matter what job , is the only key to staying out of poverty.

I know several highschool drop out whom are making plenty plenty of money . WHY you say , because they took the crappy job and worked there way up.

I know plenty of poor people whom have never been married or had kids.
and WHO says kids without the paper = poor? I do agree that having kids to young will cramp ya opportunities , but that come back to being willing to work , no matter how beneath you you feel the job may be.

I know a lot of people with 2 or 3 partime jobs whom are not rolling in the dough , but are comfortable.

so in my world willing to work = nonpoor house.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I think there's a lot of truth to that. Yes, there are people who have decent jobs without a high school diploma, but those opportunities are getting scarcer by the year.

Waiting to have kids... Yes. I think the article means to a) have kids with the person you truly intent to spend your life with and b) to build up a solid base for a family. There's no need to get married and pop kids out right away... Enjoy and learn to live with each other and build a nest egg... Establish yourself. Take advantage of a dual income... Which obviously is No. 3.

Of course this is not a bomb proof recipe, but there's a lot of truth behind it.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I think there's a lot of truth to that. Yes, there are people who have decent jobs without a high school diploma, but those opportunities are getting scarcer by the year.

Waiting to have kids... Yes. I think the article means to a) have kids with the person you truly intent to spend your life with and b) to build up a solid base for a family. There's no need to get married and pop kids out right away... Enjoy and learn to live with each other and build a nest egg... Establish yourself. Take advantage of a dual income... Which obviously is No. 3.

Of course this is not a bomb proof recipe, but there's a lot of truth behind it.
This is exactly how I feel.

Getting married after the age of 21 means you are at least out of high school.

Two incomes can obviously go further than one, and having a two parent household makes it easier to raise a child.

Children are expensive and time consuming- which is why there doesn't need to be a rush to have them. Why make things harder on yourself than they have to be? Get out of school, get married, hold a full time job and wait until you're ready to be a parent.

Dekka

Just try me..
I feel its trite. People who are more educated and ambitious tend to wait to have kids, but that doesn't make them successful BECAUSE they waited.

Not saying waiting till you are financially stable isn't a great idea.. but it has nothing to do with a piece of paper.

The last one made me LOL. Thats like saying the key to being attractive is not to be ugly.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
wait until you're ready to be a parent.
[threadjack]There is no such thing as "ready to be a parent" no matter how old or settled you are. Sure, there are better times and more ideal circumstances than others to start a family, but there isn't a single person who is not a parent who is "ready to be a parent". Hell, most of us who are parents still aren't ready :) [/threadjack]

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
One thing to note about waiting to marry is that divorce is financially devistating . . . and statistically, later marriages are less likely to end in divorce (unsurprisingly, really, when you think about it).

Dekka

Just try me..
One thing to note about waiting to marry is that divorce is financially devistating . . . and statistically, later marriages are less likely to end in divorce (unsurprisingly, really, when you think about it).
I had a highly successful marriage counsellor who commented that marriages that started when people were in their 30's tended to be more likely to succeed than people in their 20's. She said people often change a lot in their 20's.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
[threadjack]There is no such thing as "ready to be a parent" no matter how old or settled you are. Sure, there are better times and more ideal circumstances than others to start a family, but there isn't a single person who is not a parent who is "ready to be a parent". Hell, most of us who are parents still aren't ready :) [/threadjack]
You know what I mean :rofl1:

Don't have a kid if you're single and can't afford the cost that comes with them. Don't have a kid if you can't afford to take care of yourself.

Paige

Let it be
I have broken all those rules and am not living in poverty. I BEAT THE SYSTEM BOO YEAH.

/hides

But seriously as a general rule I agree. Life sometimes throws you curves though and you have to cope, get a little creative and make your situation work.

Saeleofu

I'd say the full-time job is really the only one that will "guarantee" anything. Even then a full-time job doesn't guarantee non-poverty. I know plenty of people who didn't graduate high school, or didn't go to college, and make more than I do.

Overall I would say those three things are a good idea, though, but not a "YOU MUST DO THIS OR YOU WILL FAIL MISERABLY!"

Having a full-time job can be out of your control at times though.
Yes :wall: :wall: I've been looking for full-time work for years and NOTHING has come up. Not even Walmart or anything.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I think I disagree. I know plenty of women who were "established" in their marriage and career and decided to have their kid(s) later. They fully embraced the thought of being a mom (and dad). I believe you can be ready for a child.

It's always easier to deal with living in a world where there is poverty if we can rationalize and compartmentalize it so that it must be always be the fault of the poverty stricken.

After all, the "working poor" are just a myth. Like the monster under the bed. And anyone who wants to work can have a job that pays enough to live on reasonably.

CaliTerp07

I think I disagree. I know plenty of women who were "established" in their marriage and career and decided to have their kid(s) later. They fully embraced the thought of being a mom (and dad). I believe you can be ready for a child.
At the risk of calling someone out, M&M's Mommy comes to mind as someone who was more than ready to be a parent before God gave her the opportunity to be a mom.

In my personal life, our friends just had their first baby this past fall. They've been married 10 years, and she's been wanting kids for the past 3-4, but the timing just wasn't right. They waited, and everything fell into place nicely so they could have their child at the right time. She was more than ready to be a parent before she had her son.

AliciaD

On second thought...
At the risk of calling someone out, M&M's Mommy comes to mind as someone who was more than ready to be a parent before God gave her the opportunity to be a mom.

In my personal life, our friends just had their first baby this past fall. They've been married 10 years, and she's been wanting kids for the past 3-4, but the timing just wasn't right. They waited, and everything fell into place nicely so they could have their child at the right time. She was more than ready to be a parent before she had her son.
Not to derail this thread or anything, but my mom waited until she was 29 to have me. When she told people at work (mostly women in their 20s) they were shocked and couldn't believe she waited so long. I find their reactions so bizarre! I'm glad my mum waited. I'm not saying under 29 is a bad age, but I know that for her she wanted kids, but she knew she had to wait until it was the best time.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
My five rules for staying out of poverty

Be Flexible
Work hard
Avoid debt
Save where you can
Be aware that things can and do change

Also the myth of no one being prepared for parenting is a bunch of BS, although kids often don't read the books on how they should be. Choosing to be a parent is almost always better than incidentally falling ass first into it. I know for me kids will be a conscious decision to have.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I think it makes sense and is a good general guideline for most of the population!

but remember guys, it's a general guideline. Not all rules apply to all people.

For instance..

GUIDELINES FOR STAYING OUT OF JAIL

1. Don't steal
2. Don't kill anybody
3. Don't try to kill anybody
4. Obey all traffic laws
5. Pay your taxes
6. Don't assault people
7. Don't rape anybody
8. Be rich
9. Be white
10. Be a celebrity

Following these rules.. 99.9% of people WILL NOT GO TO JAIL! EVER!

..but then..

:rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.