Mikey

Saje

Island dweller
Mikey doesn't want to eat anything yet. He threw up a lot this morning after he tried to eat. I gave him chicken noodle soup at the suggestion of Renee and he snifted it and just doesn't care. Now, I'm worried about him. I don't know what is normal cuz all of my animals are adopted as babies and usually are already fixed or done right away. :( He seems quite listless. I think the anesthetic hit him pretty hard.

Any advice?

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Saje im sooooo sorry about Niblet it shocked me when I read that and even brought tears to my eyes. Im that emotional about animals.

All of my dogs who have been spayed or neutered never threw up afterwards. But I don't know. I would call the vet and see what he says........ I have never had this happen to me before. But who knows i may be lucky some one else may have some experience with this.

Good Luck and i will pray for your baby

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks. We did talk to the vet and he said that it affects different dogs diffently and if he still isn't eating by tomorrow to call him.

Steve (bf) just got back from talking with the vet. Apparently he's quite concerned. Little Niblet is having an atopsy done right now. :( They're doing it for free.

And he went through all of the papers on GI Stasis and how the checklist of precautions.. from rabbit.org and other sources with Steve. I thought that was really great. He didn't know anything about GI Stasis and said that the only thing that they did wrong was the not feeding thing. He is checking for any genetic flaws like a bad heart or somethign. And he's going to look into GI Stasis.

Steve said (I didn't go) that he was quite concerned and understands how important peoples pets are to them.

So, I'm not mad at him anymore. still, don't like the vet assistants though. They were very cold last night when I was concerned.

Debi

I'm so very sorry about Niblet....just tooooo sad.

Mikey will probably feel just fine in another day or so....altho I did want to mention that he may not display a change in behavior for awhile. I'm assuming hormones linger for a bit. I know it took awhile for Hammie to have a calmer personality...yes, a part of that was his usual teenage youth, but some of it was still hormonal. He's a babydoll now. (been a couple months)

Again, Saje, I'm so sad about Niblet. I adore bunnies....I know how sad you are to have this loss. (((hugs)))

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks so much Debi. I know that it takes awhile for the hormones to dissipitate in the body. If Niblet had survived I would have had to wait 4-6 weeks before putting him in with the "girls" which was my plan. Just to make sure they wouldn't get pregnant.

Thanks again.

Oh, Saje, I'm so sorry! I lost my bunny three years ago and I still miss him. I know he's with me though, just like your sweet little Niblet's with you. What a rotten week. You and all your fuzzies have all of our good thoughts and wishes.

Saje, I am so sorry about Niblet! :( You are in my thoughts!

I hope Mikey is feeling better soon. When Farley had his surgery for bloat a couple of yrs ago the vet wanted him on a bland diet and recommended cooked lean hamburg & white rice. Perhaps a small amount would tempt his tastebuds. Since he did get sick earlier I would try a small amount occasionally of whatever you try.

Keep us posted how he's doing.

Saje

Island dweller
Ok. Well, I have a meeting with the vet tomorrow morning. We got Niblet back. The assistant who is VERY defensive of her vet said that it couldn't be what I thought and that all of my rabbits could be sick with a lung virus and are they coughing... have diarhea. They're not. Apparently, his lungs didn't look normal. I'm not saying that's impossible I"m just saying I don't like her attitude. She also seemed to think I was faint of heart and shouldn't look at the pictures of the atopsy. Just because I love my animals and cry when they are hurt or die doesn't mean I'm weak. I'm not squeamish which may suprise those who know I'm a vegetarian. Anyway, she irritated me.

I got vitamin E capsules for Mikey which I'm going to break open and put around his stitches. And I bought liver for him because it's cheap (tomorrow's pay day) and some soup bones to gnaw on. Neither of the dogs would touch the liver raw and it's being cooked as we speak. :rolleyes:

Mikey seems more perky though because he tried to jump up on us when we came home. He always does that.

i'll let you know if anything else happens.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Saje, I ready read about Niblet. I am so sorry to hear what happened. I know how much you love all your pets, and Niblet will surely be missed. I don't know what to say but know Niblet will live on in your heart forever.

I think what you ought to do is ask to speak directly to the vet, and tell him how hideous his assistant is being to you. He ought to know that she's unsympathetic and condescending. Tell him you'd rather not speak with her anymore. I've actually done this before and the vet, who was a super nice guy, put his assistant on "notice" (another complaint came in and he fired her) and gave me the number to his personal office line.

Members online

No members online now.