Kansas farm pics (a joint effort)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Okay these were taken by my dad and edited by me. I'm trying to convince him to get lightroom or photoshop. These are at a friend's place where they farm and raise cattle. The family has lived there since the 1860s and it's pretty neat. I thought I'd share even though I didn't take them. I did have fun messing around with them though!

Lol, just messing around:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I love them. THey express so much of what is familiar to me. Look at the repairs to those tools, the wear. You can feel the work that went behind them. The cat photo is incredible too...gee all of them are perfect. I like the first one of the two you couldn't decide on, i think it shows more of the rust feel.

My grandparents were on a farm just like that when I was small. Couldn't let me play out in the field because of the rattle snakes. I was told not to step off the porch. I got in trouble for picking off the milkweed pods and floating the seeds on the water cistern. THe only thing i didn't see was the ever constant wind and the smell which I know now is dry rot. Crazy. Your pics brought all of that back. Hartford Kansas. Not far from Emporia. I wish I could show these to Mom.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks! I'll tell my dad how much you liked them. He was really pleased with the way they turned out, I think.

It's such an interesting area. We have a bit of that stuff here, but a car like that would have been messed with by some teens. I think it's amazing how it's just all still out there untouched. It definitely has a story to it and you can feel many generations of work on the land.

Here's a couple that were interesting (but not so artsy).

This is where the family lived initially. It's a dugout right behind the house.

The whole countryside is just barn after barn after barn.

bubbatd

I think what got me was the weathered wood . The kids and I have many hangings and frames made by their Dad who loved it too . My favorite are old sleigh bells hung on a piece of old drift wood Tom found in my cousin's wood pile to burn . We never went by a fallen barn without stopping !!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ooh those are awesome! They remind me a lot of my grandma's farm.

Where at in Kansas are they?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THose last two are pretty darn incredible. I joke about living in a hobbit hole because of the height of my ceilings. I can't imagine REALLY living in one. I have read a lot of stories that make it all too real.

I was wondering what part of Kansas as well.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
There are a lot of really neat old farms scattered around the state. I kept meaning to go hunt down where Laura Ingalls was supposed to have lived in "Little House on the Prairie". I know some of the later books took place back in the Dakotas, but she lived in Kansas for some time.

bubbatd

Nothing is sadder though than an abandoned farm . Someone's dream turned to rubble .

Members online

No members online now.