Gorgeous Blonde Sheperd desperately needs a home

dannyoung

I live in Simcoe, Ontario, Canada...The dog is part of my neighbours family, here is some background...Two nights ago, Sandy had a seizure. The seizure was unexpected, but he had vomited that day so it may have been brought on by illness. His owner heard a sound in the hallway and found Sandy convulsing violently, she instinctively went to him and in the process was accidentally bitten as Sandys jaws were snapping as his seizure ended. My neighbours son rushed to help and the dog was completely startled, most likely due to temporary blindness and deafness brought on by the seizure, and reacted agressively. Attempts to restrain Sandy made matters worse. The Police were called and Animal Control was brought in. Sandy, most likely blind, deaf, and having no idea what was happening defended himself the only way he could and became uncontrollable. Unfortunately the Animal Control personnell did just about the worst thing you could do, and they tazed him. Having gone through the horrible ordeal, the seizure, the attack by the police and animal control, and the tazing, he is now in standard quarantine for 10 days. Sandy has still not regained his composure, and his situation is not helping. His family also has a young son with Down Syndrome, and an aging grandmother with early Alzheimers living in the home. The family is understandably afraid that this same scenario may happen again and do not want too take the risk of injury to either the son or the grandmother.

Sandy needs to find a home, he is a big gorgeous dog who, under normal circumstances, has a heart of gold and is the biggest softy on the planet. I would take him myself, in a heartbeat, but I have a 10 month old son who also happens to be terrified of him. The family is undecided on what too do, they do not want to euthanize him, but they cannot risk bringing him back into their home. They are heartbroken and cannot imagine their family without him, which is why I am trying to help them find a solution before it is too late for Sandy...they do not have it in them at the moment.

Sandy would be best suited in a home without children. He is used to cats and other dogs, as long as they are not agressive to him, he will not be agressive to them. We had a friend with two dogs stay with us for six months (a Golden Retriever and a Chihuahua cross), and Sandy spent the majority of those months playing like a puppy in our yard due to a tunnel him and the small dog opened up between our two yards. He is a beautiful creature who needs to find a kind soul (or souls) to help him back to health and give him a good home. He has not been seen by a doctor as of yet, although the family is trying to arrange something through animal control. After 10 days, however, he will either be released or euthanized. If anybody reading this can help, knows someone who can, or would like to take Sandy in, please contact me (Dann Young) at [email protected] or call me at 416-907-6568.

dannyoung

Sad news....Sandy had another seizure last night and, with assistance, has since passed away. The Veternarian felt he was in too much pain, and did not want to prolong it. He was not part of my family, but we will miss him as such...Thanks

Cleverk9

Very sorry to hear that Sandy is no longer with us, im sure you made the right decision when he had the seziure. Just remember that you did everything that you could and as i said the veterinarian said that the best option was to put him to sleep to prevent any prolonged pain and suffering.

It is very difficult when we loose a special friend, there isnt anything that you can say to make you feel better but to know that Sandy is now in a better place should bring some comfort.

Members online