New science diet formulas update

Ok, at the Hills' website is now updated wit their new formulas.

The change is not that huge, but at least we know that kibble companies are making a change now that pet owners are more aware of what's in the ingredient lists.

They removed the chicken by-products and added some named meats and fruits.

Small bites puppy said:
Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Wheat, Pork Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Flaxseed, Pork Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, L-lysine, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Oat Fiber, Mixed Tocopherols added to retain freshness, Citric Acid added to retain freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract, Dried Apples, Dried Broccoli, Dried Carrots, Dried Cranberries, Dried Peas.
Large breed said:
Ingredients

Chicken, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Sorghum, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Wheat Gluten, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Oat Fiber, Mixed Tocopherols added to retain freshness, Citric Acid added to retain freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract, Dried Apples, Dried Broccoli, Dried Carrots, Dried Cranberries, Dried Peas.

Ok, at the Hills' website is now updated wit their new formulas.

The change is not that huge, but at least we know that kibble companies are making a change now that pet owners are more aware of what's in the ingredient lists.

They removed the chicken by-products and added some named meats and fruits.
Hello Sapphire-Light,

Anyone who has anything remotely positive to say about the garbage that Hill’s makes and calls it pet food has no idea what they are talking about. All of the pet foods that Hill’s makes are dangerous at best and poisonous at worst.

Brands of Hill’s Prescription Diet and Science diet were recalled by FDA in 2007 for killing cat/dogs in 2007 by having poisons in their foods.

Large breed has chicken as the first ingredient, which is 75.6% water.
11 of the next 12 ingredients are all garbage fillers that are on everyone’s list of ingredients to absolutely avoid in pet foods.

The Small Bites Puppy has almost all the same ingredients. Any puppy who eats this stuff doesn’t stand a chance.
In fact, most of the Science Diet and Hill’s Prescription Diet brands have many of the same horrible ingredients; they just put them in different bags like for “Sensitive Skin†or Sensitive Stomachâ€. There’s no chance any of these “foods†will cure anything leading to more problems for the animal and pet owner.

Dr. Alicia McWatters, PhD. says it best “Why do some veterinarians misrepresent the benefits of feeding a raw natural diet and promote the practice of feeding an inferior commercial kibble diet? For many it is ignorance, for others it is more calculated.

“Science Diet (Hills Company) is a Platinum Corporate Sponsor of the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA).
This is why Science Diet was able to pass off their products as pet food. The following list of ingredients is a sample of the shockingly inferior products that are designed to make Hill’s Company and the vets that sell their products very wealthy.
I would submit that no dog could eat the following chemicals, grains and by-products and be healthy. I encourage all dog owners to read the ingredient list of their pet’s food.â€

Hill’s® Science Diet® Adult Sensitive Stomach Ingredients
Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Egg Product, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Oat Fiber, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Iodized Salt, L-Lysine, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

DogFoodAdvisor rates around 15 Science Diet brands and they all receive either the lowest or close to lowest rating. This site still misses much and are much too lenient on their descriptions.
The Truth About Science Diet gives it the lowest rating.
Petcareecucation.com gives Science Diet bad reviews.
Petfoodtalk.com gives Science diet their lowest reviews.
I can go on and on...

The Science Diet and Hills Prescription website says “Vets’ #1 choice for their own Petsâ€!. Vets make lots and lots of money selling this stuff. What’s really ironic (and sad) is that according to Hills this is the “vet’s #1 choice for their own petsâ€. Because the ingredients in Science and Hills are so bad and some contain absolutely NO meat, it’s only a matter of time before these vets start treating their own pets for a host of illnesses and diseases leading to premature death! For a great review titled “The Truth About Science Diet, click here.

Any veterinarian who recommends this is either unethical or doesn’t know anything about animal nutrition... if so, then it should be against the law for them to sell pet food.

No annual vaccinations + feeding a species-appropriate diet = Healthiest Cats/Dogs = No vet visits = Unhappy Vets, AVMA & AAHA = Happiest Cats/Dogs = Happiest Pet Parents!
Bon chance, Roger Biduk

Hi, I'm not promoting the food, I'm just quoting the ingredient list since many pet owners were curious when Hills made the news that they were going to make a change.

My dog eats raw meals and meals of homecooked mixed wit propac kibble, if you do a search of my nickname you can see the opinions I have in dog food.

I know Hills is not a high quality food, however keep in mind that for people that live in countries like were I live is something better than feeding alpo, pedigree, and even worse the central american brands (most of this don't even have meat, only bone flour)

I actually never have seen foods like orijen, the petcurian, and the likes brands in person.

Roger, you forgot something, the infamous "plastic coating patent", lol yeah.

But seriously, they now have a grain-free formula, I think they're catching on finally. I still wont support them ever myself, and again I'll state how much I'm against "corn" and "soy" in food, one name "Monsanto" :rolleyes: (no, I myself don't eat any corn as I'm allergic too it, gee, wonder why? Maybe something called "Project Round-up ready").

Roger, you forgot something, the infamous "plastic coating patent", lol yeah.

But seriously, they now have a grain-free formula, I think they're catching on finally. I still wont support them ever myself, and again I'll state how much I'm against "corn" and "soy" in food, one name "Monsanto" :rolleyes: (no, I myself don't eat any corn as I'm allergic too it, gee, wonder why? Maybe something called "Project Round-up ready").

Yeah, that's the point in the tread, if they did this change is because they were loosing sells to foods wit more meat content and grain free.

When this happens to a company there are only two options : change to the new stuff or keep like before and risk to die.

Even if the change in this food is small, it is a proof that pet owners are more aware of the ingredient list and voting wit their wallets.

Kind of off topic but when you wrote "mosanto" it made me think of the vintage Disneyland and the House of the future, LOL

Hi, I'm not promoting the food, I'm just quoting the ingredient list since many pet owners were curious when Hills made the news that they were going to make a change.

My dog eats raw meals and meals of homecooked mixed wit propac kibble, if you do a search of my nickname you can see the opinions I have in dog food.

I know Hills is not a high quality food, however keep in mind that for people that live in countries like were I live is something better than feeding alpo, pedigree, and even worse the central american brands (most of this don't even have meat, only bone flour)

I actually never have seen foods like orijen, the petcurian, and the likes brands in person.
Hello Sapphire-light,

Yeah, even most pet foods I've seen even in Europe are horrible.
Good for you for feeding raw but Pro Pac is has some ingredients that will eventually cause big problems with your dog(s):
Corn, Rice, Beet Pulp.

Corn - Waste products pure junk, very poor protein source. Corn and corn derivatives are among the cheapest ingredients in pet food and the worst for the health of cats/dogs.

Inexpensive feed-grade corn can include mold or fungus which has caused death. The feed values of this type of corn are grown primarily as a feed grain for livestock, not for cats and dogs.
Useless, cheap filler used to up the protein count.
It does absolutely nothing good for the animal and dogs and cats have a really hard time digesting corn (if they can at all), causes very serious digestion and slin problems problems along with other illnesses.

Major source of severe pet allergies and a host of other problems in cats and dogs, adds sugar and is a very poor protein source.
Sugar causes diabetes, hypoglycemia, weight gain, nervousness and fearful behavior, cataracts, ill health in general and a host of other symptoms and diseases.
sugar in corn triggers seizures, skin problems such as itching and excessive shedding, ear and eye infections and causes irritable bowel problems.
Found in very low quality pet foods that use cheap corn instead of more expensive meat as a protein source. Indicates a very poor quality product. Avoid pet food with these ingredients!

You will never, ever find corn, rice and beet pulp in high quality commercially available pet foods, nor will you ever find it in healthy recipes for homemade pet meals. Where you’ll find it are in very affordable, highly processed, very low-quality pet foods.

Beet Pulp - Waste product, pure junk. Cheap filler/fiber causes sugar rush/addiction to food, hyperactivity and allergies.
Dried beet pulp is known to be an artificial stool hardener. This is dangerous because when the stool remains in the colon too long, it exudes toxins into the blood stream, which could lead to a variety of short term (E.Coli) or long term health problems.
Sugar in beet pulp causes the same serious problems in cats/dogs that are caused by corn.

Rice - Pure junk. Waste product, very poor protein sources. Rice is used as most other grains would be in pet food – as cheap fillers/ingredients to boost protein levels instead of using high quality meat sources and are very harmful to dogs and cats.
The optimum diet for a dog or a cat should closely resemble their natural diet.
A diet balanced heavily toward grain promotes insulin production and the production of inflammatory chemicals. Over-production of insulin makes it hard for the body to maintain its correct weight, and can lead to diabetes and other problems.

In an evolutionary sense, a wild dog’s and cat’s diet contain almost no grains. They never eat cooked grain.

Good holistic veterinarians say that grains like corn and rice cause most or all of the degenerative diseases that pet owners pay vets thousands of dollars to try and cure.

Grains used in pet foods have usually been deemed unfit for human consumption because of mold, contaminants, poor quality or poor handling practices, which is obvious by the fact that most pet food recalls are the result of toxic grain products such as Corn or Wheat.
Pet food is one of world's most synthetic edible products, containing virtually no whole ingredients.

Do your dogs a favor and put the Pro Pac in the garbage and up the raw food, not cooked.

Remember:
No annual vaccinations + no misuse of drugs (corticosteroids, steroids, antibiotics, etc.) + feeding a species-appropriate diet = Healthiest Cats/Dogs = No vet visits = Unhappy Vets, AVMA & AAHA = Happiest Cats/Dogs = Happiest Pet Parents!
Bon chance, Roger Biduk

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
She doesn't live in Europe. She lives in Central America. There's probably a big difference in what is available in Europe vs the US vs Central America.

Yeah, that's the point in the tread, if they did this change is because they were loosing sells to foods wit more meat content and grain free.

When this happens to a company there are only two options : change to the new stuff or keep like before and risk to die.

Even if the change in this food is small, it is a proof that pet owners are more aware of the ingredient list and voting wit their wallets.

Kind of off topic but when you wrote "mosanto" it made me think of the vintage Disneyland and the House of the future, LOL
Oh most certainly! They're a big company so for them to suddenly start loosing customers because of demand for a better product you can bet they're going to at least try. One of the things I just don't like about SD though is the fact their food is so high in price and I can get the same for much less cost and better for the same price! But unfortunately, as Laurelin said, you aren't going to find all these nice brands we have here in most other countries, so it is nice that they are changing to a better product and hopefully it'll put the push on for owners in other locations to think about feeding a better product.

Members online

No members online now.