Getting A Dog to Bite Things

Dozer

I know the name sounds funny, but this is what I mean...

We have a 2 year old staffy-kelpie cross (I think) who won't pick up/bite/tug anything when you offer it to her! She is quite happy to chew things when we aren't there (and knows she has done the wrong thing) but wont play.

We just got a new puppy on the weekend, so she is enjoying chewing a toy, and is already fetching, but Sheba just watches.

I would like to get Sheba to fetch so we can take her to the park, and play fetch while the little one just sits with us, as she needs the exercise.

She will take food, but very gently, and goes outside, to either eat or bury it, but wont catch food if you throw it at her.

Can anyone help? I am trying to get this behaviour started in Sheba before the little one gets big enough to run around, so that they can play together.

Thanks
Emma

lizzybeth727

Well, there are two things you're talking about here:

1. Toy motivation: Some dogs have it, some dogs don't. Just like how some humans like video games and some like crosswords. There are some things you can do to help your dog become toy-motivated, or to build on whatever motivation they already have to become more motivated, so if that's what you need maybe some of the more serious agility people on this forum can help you out.

2. Retrieve: (AKA "fetch.") It's actually relatively easy to teach a dog to fetch something you've thrown, and you certainly don't have to have a "retriever" do be able to teach it. The best advice I can give you is to google "Shirley Chong's Retrieve" for a very detailed, step-by-step program to teach a retrieve. Since you're going to be focusing on play retrieves, you can use a toy instead of a dumbell like she describes.

One other thing: Dogs do not know that they've done the "wrong" thing. They only know what things are fun and what things are not fun, and chewing on stuff when you're not home is apparently fun, or else she wouldn't continue doing it. You coming home and finding the chewed up item, however, is not fun for her, so she might look "guilty," while actually she is just afraid of what you're going to do when you notice what she's done.

bubbatd

To me each dog is different . Unless you have a dog you are training for obedience ( thus returning an object placed ) why push it ? Ollie doesn't give a d@mn if I thow a ball .... toss a wooblie and it's a different story . Bash me if you want to !! I admit I'm horrible about training any more ! I just enjoy my pal and he enjoys me .

lizzybeth727

I definately understand why you'd want to teach fetch.... As long as you make it fun and interesting for your dog, it's great mental and physical stimualtion. My dog (a chihuahua) was a terrible retriever when I first got her, but now she knows how to retrieve and it's great fun for her because it's just another game that gets her goodies.

Dozer

Thanks for the help! I just wanted to get something else that will wear out the dog a bit quicker than it wears me out!

I understood about the chewing when we were out being fun, but just thought it strange: she seems to like chewing etc but just not when we are there...

I might leave her for a while, as she seems to be interested in chasing the little one (who has a very strong toy fixation!) so she might learn about fetching, or at least get worn out with playing with Dozer!

Thanks again for your help!

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
If she has any interest in chasing, make a flirt pole and try her out on that. Take a long pole, like a broom handle or a length of PVC. Tie a 4 foot line to it and a soft yummy tug on the end- like a squirrel tail. Take her to a safe open area and play with her like a cat. See if she is interested in chasing it when it "runs" and pouncing on it when she gets to it. Then snatch it away from her and try it again.

If this doesn't attract her, you could also train the retrieve. Many dogs start playing once you teach them what you want from them.

Finally, you could leave her alone and hope she follows the puppy's lead :)

Members online

No members online now.