SOme questions

beloved1

The dogs we have had have been 4 to 6 months old, so I need to ask some questions re 8-9 week old Standard Schnauzers.

I am looking at various training treats and they all seem to have bad stuff like corn in them, which or what do you recommend?

I presume “blowing the coat†means it will shed?

When should the first obedience etc training start, right away I know in little things such as potty training and biting etc. but what about the other stuff? Since my other dogs were older we were able to do stuff right away.

How much should they be fed a day? My ACD gets ½ cup dried food 2x a day. He is a big dog (almost german shepherd size) How much should the schnauzers get a day or where do I get that information?

Saje

Island dweller
The dogs we have had have been 4 to 6 months old, so I need to ask some questions re 8-9 week old Standard Schnauzers.

I am looking at various training treats and they all seem to have bad stuff like corn in them, which or what do you recommend?
Corn is not necessarily 'bad' but for training treats I usually use pieces of cheese or cut up weiners.

I presume “blowing the coat†means it will shed?
Yes. I've always understood it to mean when they 'blow their coat' for the season. Spring and fall shedding as it may be

When should the first obedience etc training start, right away I know in little things such as potty training and biting etc. but what about the other stuff? Since my other dogs were older we were able to do stuff right away.
You can start with socialization right away. I* don't know about formal obedience training but six months might be a good age.

How much should they be fed a day? My ACD gets ½ cup dried food 2x a day. He is a big dog (almost german shepherd size) How much should the schnauzers get a day or where do I get that information?
gosh that all depends on so many things. kind of food. brand. how the dog does on his food etc. what are you feeding?

R

RedyreRottweilers

These are questions your breeder should be helping you with, so if you have not consulted them, please do.

At that age I like to use soft things for treat/training. I prefer things where I know the ingredients. I like tiny pieces of cheese, hot dogs, or left over table meats, like chicken, etc. I keep a l LOT cut up, and keep it in a little bag in the freezer. When I have a bit of something left over, I cut it up and add it to the bag. this way when I get ready to train, I can just grab the bag, and take out a handful, and it's not always the same old thing. :D

Yes, blowing coat means shedding. Most hard coated breeds like SS do not blow coat.

Most puppies of that age can be fed just about what they will eat, and need feeding at least 3X per day, along with access to plenty of fresh clean water.

lizzybeth727

I agree, your breeder may be the best person to consult with these questions, assuming it's a reputable breeder.

I'd also suggest getting into a puppy training class right away. Classes are extremely valuable for socialization purposes, and your trainer can give you a lot of advice on how to raise a puppy, as well as how to train a puppy (again, assuming it's a reputable trainer). You can search for trainers on www.apdt.com.

Members online