The dog musing/vent thread

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
pofgjr34;oifioejrwiuhliruehwnlifrwehn

So we signed up for two 'for fun' classes plus our usual class load. then I heard they're opening up the first advanced nosework class and I reallyreally want to do it with both dogs. It's working on leash handling, distractions, working in windy areas, etc.

But I'm already in a buttload dog training things now (agility x 2, nosework group x2, tricks class x 1, distractions class x1), which is insane on its own. The thought of paying for 8 rounds of classes a week (if you count each dog as an individual class) is freaking insane. But I want to do it and I don't know if they'll offer it again. Aghhhh

Though technically the nosework group work is free unless we're renting out a facility. Aghhhh

And I wanted to try to register Summer for TDAA and also do the barn hunt.

^^ Why I don't have a third dog yet.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
My OH is like that too ... He says he wants a GSD, that's fine, then he says he wants a Malinois and I was like ... Hail no. Not because I have something against them as a breed, I think they are AWESOME hard core dogs, but knowing him there is NO WAY he is he right kind of person to own a Mal.

The only thing I told him is that HE is the one who has to be totally involved with the dog or it will bond to me, he has to take it out at 2 am when it had to pee, he has to feed it and train it ... Etc and I don't think he has the dedication to do it which is why I want some say in what breed he gets because I have a funny feeling I will be raising it :/.

I wish he would leave dogs to me, but he sees how I am with mine and wants that too, the relationship and the closeness I mean. But he doesn't understand that to get that Kind of bond is the result of countless hours off ins spent.
Oh man, that sucks, I'm sorry :/ I'm lucky that my BF, although not dog crazy like me, is good with dogs and will be a great owner for one. He knows the work and is prepared for that commitment & bond. He also knows what dogs would be good for him... I'd die if he wanted a Malinois LOL I think they're so cool but definitely not the dog for either of us. He's realistic and very into researching things and making sure everything is perfect. He wants (and would be great with) a Shiba, which I'm not huge on, but it would be his dog, and I could definitely at least live with one. :) He hates shedding though, and thinks poodles are pretty neat, so maybe, just maybe...

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Looks like I'm going to have to call my vet in the morning.

Joey hasn't been eating much lately. He normally eats 3 cups a day and I'm lucky to get him to eat about a cup right now. I gave it a few days to see of or would resolve itself since he was acting otherwise normal.

Then tonight he ate all his dinner apparently according to my husband. I come home and he comes up to say hello to me and I notice that his right eye is really red and he has a lot of dried up eye boogies underneath his eye. I caught him rubbing his eye on his leg a couple times so I put the cone on him for now.

Thoughts? He is on Fromm gold. Has been on it for a few months now. Does this sound like maybe an allergy or something else? Either way... I think I need to try to see if I can get him in to the vet tomorrow.

Sad puppy

He stayed frozen like this for about ten minutes or so after I put the cone on him.

SpringerLover

The first thing I do with eyes is flush them with sterile saline. It's very unlikely that would cause additional harm, and if it's just a small particle causing irritation, it can flush it out.

Poor guy! :(

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I feel your pain, skittle :( Quinn's left eye will occasionally get itchy and she rubs it raw. I'm not really sure what it is - I thought it could be seasonal allergies as she would do it in the spring, and it seemed to go away when I put her on probiotics, but she randomly started itching over Christmas. I just keep her distracted and put vetericyn on it. I'm really hoping it doesn't come back again this spring.

Good vibes for Joey!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I feel your pain, skittle :( Quinn's left eye will occasionally get itchy and she rubs it raw. I'm not really sure what it is - I thought it could be seasonal allergies as she would do it in the spring, and it seemed to go away when I put her on probiotics, but she randomly started itching over Christmas. I just keep her distracted and put vetericyn on it. I'm really hoping it doesn't come back again this spring.

Good vibes for Joey!

Thank you. I feel bad for him. He went from acting totally fine to completely miserable. I just gave him two benedryl and I found some eye drops from when Cricket was having a really itchy eye from allergies a while back. Hopefully that helps him feel a little bit better this evening. Tomorrow I'm going to take a closer look at it and call my vet. My vet may be able to give me some advice over the phone but if they suggest I bring him in I'll do so. I don't know if his red itchy eye has anything to do with his lack of eating lately or not.

Sekah

The Monster.
Cold weather + dark by 5 o'clock + (8 yr old intact female + heat cycle + chihuahua + dog that was never fully house trained in its previous home) + inattentive husband = house breaking nightmare.

I have trouble liking Mega on her best days. These certainly are not her best days.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Oh man, that sucks, I'm sorry :/ I'm lucky that my BF, although not dog crazy like me, is good with dogs and will be a great owner for one. He knows the work and is prepared for that commitment & bond. He also knows what dogs would be good for him... I'd die if he wanted a Malinois LOL I think they're so cool but definitely not the dog for either of us. He's realistic and very into researching things and making sure everything is perfect. He wants (and would be great with) a Shiba, which I'm not huge on, but it would be his dog, and I could definitely at least live with one. :) He hates shedding though, and thinks poodles are pretty neat, so maybe, just maybe...
Oh don't get me wrong he loves dogs and LOVES animals (breaks babies and exercises horses for a living). and he would do the necessary stuff for a while but he likes his sleep and I just KNOW that eventually I would be taking puppy out at night, feeding and such.

though at least I have made him understand dog behavior to a point where not all of his interactions with the dogs don't undo my training anymore LOL. That took some delicate explaining to make him see my POV but spare his feelings at the same and not paint myself as a bitchy control freak LOL :rofl1:. I used the example of how mishandling of the horses he is training ... esp in their early stages can set him back and drew a parallel from that.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Fred is the best sofa ninja ever. You literally have to leave your sear for half a second and he's in it, curled up and snoring and you're none the wiser till you turn around. I don't even know how he does it sometimes.

Katem

I finally found a place to bring Pig for nosework! But I found it in my search for a handling class to take with Badger. Sooo, if I continue taking all of the other classes I currently bring them to, I'll be going to dog classes 4-5 days a week. My social life is literally going to the dogs. Which is good I guess, considering I probably won't have much money to do normal people things anyway.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So I'm sitting on the couch eating dinner and using my dinner to practice Mia's sit pretty. I'm thinking this may be a bad idea.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I have an update on Joey. I feel like I basically just paid $300 for them to not tell me much of anything, but they did prescribe an antibiotic with steroid for his eye.

Basically his eye is swollen and putting pressure on his eye socket. They did an eye stain to check for scratches/abrasions and found nothing.

Then they do blood work and while they are running blood work the vet mentions that they want to check his organ function because last time they did blood work they found his liver enzymes to be a bit high... excuse me what???? why was I not told this???? She said they didn't say anything because everything else was fine so they weren't worried about it, but now they want to double check because he is having issues... wtf....

So... they do bloodwork and said everything looks great. Yet... he has a small fever and his eye is very red and swollen... plus he has hardly been eating for the past few weeks. I think there is something they are missing and they sent me home with an antibiotic and a wish of good luck.

I am NOT happy that I still don't know what is going on with my boy.

A friend of mine mentioned that his symptoms sound very much like possible ehrlichiosis and urged me to get a SNAP test done. I'm calling the vet tomorrow and asking that they please get us in to do a SNAP test so that if it IS the case we can start doxy treatment asap.

ugh...

eta: btw I live in a tick minefield so the possibility of ehrlichiosis is a very real possibility.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have an update on Joey. I feel like I basically just paid $300 for them to not tell me much of anything, but they did prescribe an antibiotic with steroid for his eye.

Basically his eye is swollen and putting pressure on his eye socket. They did an eye stain to check for scratches/abrasions and found nothing.

Then they do blood work and while they are running blood work the vet mentions that they want to check his organ function because last time they did blood work they found his liver enzymes to be a bit high... excuse me what???? why was I not told this???? She said they didn't say anything because everything else was fine so they weren't worried about it, but now they want to double check because he is having issues... wtf....

So... they do bloodwork and said everything looks great. Yet... he has a small fever and his eye is very red and swollen... plus he has hardly been eating for the past few weeks. I think there is something they are missing and they sent me home with an antibiotic and a wish of good luck.

I am NOT happy that I still don't know what is going on with my boy.

A friend of mine mentioned that his symptoms sound very much like possible ehrlichiosis and urged me to get a SNAP test done. I'm calling the vet tomorrow and asking that they please get us in to do a SNAP test so that if it IS the case we can start doxy treatment asap.

ugh...

eta: btw I live in a tick minefield so the possibility of ehrlichiosis is a very real possibility.
That blows that you didn't get an actual diagnosis?
Are you still going to Banfield? If so, might be time to switch. I hear so many horror stories from them :/
Especially if they aren't telling you important things like abnormal bloodwork results. That sucks.

I hope you get it figured out and he feels better soon :(

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ya I still go to banfield for now because I have one of those plans with them where you pay a monthly fee and I'm committed until the plan ends. It's a year contract. I'm asking them for a copy of his bloodwork results tomorrow though because I want a second opinion. I am still completely baffled that they never would have mentioned him having high liver enzymes. That's kind of a big deal is it not?

I really wish I could see the holistic vet that one of my coworkers sees... unfortunately that vet is insanely expensive.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Ya I still go to banfield for now because I have one of those plans with them where you pay a monthly fee and I'm committed until the plan ends. It's a year contract. I'm asking them for a copy of his bloodwork results tomorrow though because I want a second opinion. I am still completely baffled that they never would have mentioned him having high liver enzymes. That's kind of a big deal is it not?

I really wish I could see the holistic vet that one of my coworkers sees... unfortunately that vet is insanely expensive.
I agree, that's a huge deal. Every vet I've ever gone to, they call and tell you the results, even if it is all normal!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I agree, that's a huge deal. Every vet I've ever gone to, they call and tell you the results, even if it is all normal!
exactly. There's a vet clinic next to my work that I know a few people that work there. I'm going to have them fax his blood work results to my work so I can take them over there and have them look at them... I'm also going to get the SNAP test done. It's so unlike him to have a suppressed appetite too. He LOVES food. He will work for plain kibble that's how much he loves it and I usually have to float his food to slow him down. Him refusing food tells me something absolutely is not ok and I need to figure out what it is.

eta: he went from eating 3 cups a day to me being lucky if he eats 1 cup most of the time

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
exactly. There's a vet clinic next to my work that I know a few people that work there. I'm going to have them fax his blood work results to my work so I can take them over there and have them look at them... I'm also going to get the SNAP test done. It's so unlike him to have a suppressed appetite too. He LOVES food. He will work for plain kibble that's how much he loves it and I usually have to float his food to slow him down. Him refusing food tells me something absolutely is not ok and I need to figure out what it is.

eta: he went from eating 3 cups a day to me being lucky if he eats 1 cup most of the time
Not to mention that eye stuff is nothing to dick around with. I hope you get answers soon.

Members online

No members online now.