IF I get a puppy during school, how would it work out??

Well, I was curious, IF I got a puppy during the school year, how could I housetrain it? And how would this work out? I mean I take it out, when I get up, I take it out before the bus comes, then I take it out when we get home. But, any suggestions? Oh yes, Happy Holidays! :D And thank you for reading! :) But, I was just wondering, how do some people housetrain their puppy during school, (not homeschool, but public)?

I got Winnie when she was 10 months old, but she wasn't housebroken when I got her (kept as an outdoor dog by her previous owners). I got her as soon as school ended in May and worked with her during the summer. I was working, but work is a more flexible schedule than school. It would have been quite hard to housebreak her during the school year, I think...

I think it's best to get your puppy during the summer so that you have time to train him or her... During the school year might be a little rough with hours. I got my puppy in September but my 22 year old brother stayed home with hm 24-7 so i didnt have to worry about him anyway...

T

tessa_s212

I have never and will never get a puppy while I am in school. My mother is home all day to help, but she's awful at training dogs and I could never trust her with my puppy.

Do you have anyone that would be willing to help house train a puppy?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Maybe if you would tell us your daily schedule (time you wake up, time you go to school, time you get home, any other planned events, etc.) we would have a better idea of what's going to be needed in order to potty train the pup.

Though it would really work if you could get someone to come to your house.

Kiwii

TIGER.. Tiger.. tiger :)
lets go take a walk..

I currently go to school and have to leave Tiger all by himself at home. When I leave school I put him in a cage. People here might say it's a bad idea and its brutal, but I just got my dog :x (about 2 weeks ago?) I think that if you leave him in the cage during school time and take him out when you get home it's telling him to hold it in during that time period and only poop when you get back.

My parents work everyday in the school hours, I have an older sibling that goes to school with me. And there's no one home to help me look after Tiger. I don't want anyone to baby-sit my Tiger since he's only a puppy :) (the saying of, "...the baby will follow the baby-sitter and grow a "bond" if they see each other too much") lol

I wake up extra early now. (swtiched from waking up at 7:15am to 6:30am) and take him out to poop and pee at around 7am. After he runs around a few times in the park, I take him home and put him in a cage LOADED with food and water. When I get home from school it's around 3:30pm, he pees at 3:45 and poops at 4. At night he poops at around 7 close to 8. Then we take him home and he sleeps for the night until the morning. (same process)

He does sometimes make a few mistakes at home. I'm still learning from the professionals on this forum!
This method might not be the best. Just telling everyone what I do with my puppy. :) (posted to know whether this is good for use, if it is maybe you should give it a try?)

-Kiwi 14

Last edited:

joce

I always had to go to school when I got my dogs when I was younger.

I jsut took them out first thing in the morning and then as soon as I got home again. they all lived jsut fine although it may not be ideal.

I would say wait until the summer. I trained puppies when I was still in school, but I had my mom to help me. She didn't work at the time and could take care of the puppies during the day for me. Now I'm in college and I have just worked my schedule around Lola. In the morning, I have class and my boyfriend is with her and then we sort of switch. The most she would be home alone is two hours. I also have a friend who is willing to babysit for me, if I need to spend extra time on a project or something.

Members online

No members online now.