Dog Socialization problems

Okay, so my 1.5 year old Border Collie has some dog socialization problems. Living in the country for half the time I had her didn't help, and its my fault I did it incorrectly. But I am trying to change all that now. Just before I start, I wanted to make it clear in any nipping she does, she has NEVER bitten before. That would be a little more serious then what I need help on.

So it starts with just meeting another dog. The dog might try to sniff her and she will nip at its nose anytime its close to her or me. With a few dogs she loves to play and wants to just do it all day but those are dogs shes for some reason comfortable with(only 2). Although she will nip at them occasionally as well. I know very much about the Border Collie breed and I know she isn't trying to herd or control them, she does that with my cats, but with other dogs it seems to be out of fear almost. I hate to take her to meet new dogs unless I know the person well because she just lunges and nips at the other dog no matter how submissive or friendly the other dog is, she seems to be the dominant one.

She also does it with food and toys, even the other dogs. If they get close to it she will nip at them and grab whatever for herself. She is in no way attack like or anything just like she thinks its hers and no one else can have it. When she does that I take whatever it is away, make her lay next to it while the other dog gets whatever it is.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I take her everywhere with other dogs and I want her to meet other dogs without being mean or nipping at them every single time.

Members online

No members online now.