I haven't been on for awhile, just busy.....

mjb

One of my cats, Charlie, is in surgery today. He occasionally gets a swollen gum/lip that the vet says appears to be some kind of allergic reaction, but he has told me to always bring him in for it because they can get sores in and around the mouth that are malignant.

He went 2 weeks ago with his swollen lip and got a shot of steroids and antibiotics. The vet mentioned that he had a small lesion inside his mouth, too, and to bring him in for a recheck after the antibiotic treatment.

We went in Saturday. The lip was back to normal, but the place inside his mouth was still there. The vet said it needed to come out. We're going out of town for some of the holidays and having company when we're home. We asked to wait until after the New Year, but he didn't advise it. We also asked to wait until the end of the week, and then leave Charlie in the hospital to recuperate while we're out of town. Again, he said even the wait to Friday was too long for his comfort, so he's in today getting the tumor removed.

mjb

Thanks.

We are a little bit worried since the vet made it seem urgent. He also said he thinks he's catching it while it's small but that he occasionally has to take some bone with it when they've gotten bigger.

He's a sweet cat, but he was unusually affectionate last night, even for him.

Everyone else is well....our other cat Venus, and Spanky.

mjb

Charles is home. He had the lump removed from his mouth. It was connected to the bone, and they had to remove some bone with it. We won't hear from the pathology report for 7-10 days.

It sounds very painful. The vet doesn't seem to think he will have alot of pain. He just said that the antibiotics are very important because we don't want infection ending up in the bone. He's a pill to medicate!!

I'm just hoping the pathology indicates that it's benign, or that they got it all.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I'm sorry to hear they took some bone out as well. I sure hope it was benign. Praying for a speedy recovery for Charlie and I hope your nerves are okay! :)

mjb

Thanks for the well-wishes. I feel so bad for Charlie, but he's taking in stride. He's not himself yet, sluggish and all, but he seems remarkably well. The vet predicted he would need no pain medication tomorrow!! I sure would if it had been me.

On the down side, it seems the percentage of tumors in the mouth for cats being malignant is very high. (That sentence isn't composed very well at all)! On the plus side, the vet said it's not very common for cats as young as Charlie to get them, so maybe it will be benign.

Just a waiting game now, but we're awfully glad to have him home and just trying to keep him quiet tonight and keep Spanky from showing just how glad he is that he's home. Venus won't bother him.....not sure she's glad he's back, to tell the truth.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Gotta love cats. ;)

I hope waiting for the results will go quickly. To be honest, after Bella's surgery, I had forgotten that her eye was going to be sent to pathology until I got the call from the doc. I was just so happy that she was better, ya know?

When he's feeling better, maybe he can have some nummy tuna as a treat. :D ;)

mjb

I know what you mean. I know the surgery only happened today, but, once I got him home, I haven't thought much at all about the pathology. It was such a relief to see him home and not acting nearly as 'sick' as I thought someone who had a piece of bone removed from his mouth would!! I've just been glad to see my 'almost normal' cat here that I really haven't thought that much about the fact that we're still not done until we get the results back.

He did sit on my lap AND turn his motor on AND give me several head butts, so things are looking up.

Kase

I'm gad he is home and hope he is recovering nicely, I hope the results come back ok ((((good vibes))))).

mjb

Thanks to everyone.

We just got good news. The preliminary pathology report shows Charles's tumor is benign. No further treatment or surgery needed. We're very happy.

Barb04

Super Moderator
My thoughts are prayers are with Charlie. I hope you get good news back from the reports.

Members online