Lost hamster :(

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Well, he's done it this time. My fiance took the top off of the hamster cage and forgot to replace it. The poor little girl is always trying to lift the top off and I'm sure she thinks she's done something amazing, but now she has gone missing in the house.

I'm beside myself (yeah yeah, just a hamster, that's what I'm being told). I can't imagine being so small (but so fat) in such a big world. I'm sure she's exploring her little heart out, and the websites I've read say they usually return to their cages, but she has no way of getting into her tank if/when she does come back. :(

I'm really hoping she turns up soon. And as far as the fiance is concerned...doghouse.

Saje

Island dweller
:( She may come back. If I was you I'd look in every nook and cranny. We lost our hamster this way. It was heartbreaking :(

Brattina88

our hamster at work (I work at a day care) got loose yesterday :eek: I don't know if she's been found yet or not. Poor Mater :rolleyes:

My only suggestion would be to put the cage in the floor, so she could get into it herself is she finds her way back. Tip your tank(?) sideways maybe :confused:
It worked for us at work (the first time ours got out), but we have a regular wire cage.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
we had a hamster get loose--you'd be amazed how far they travel in a short amount of time! We were able to find her by putting out some food and seeing where the seed shells got piled up--then caught her--and it was several months!! Put some water out somewher too--hamsters are resourceful little things!! good luck finding her/him.

otch1

Head for the kitchen, late tonight, sit in the middle of the floor. She will most likely be exploring the potential crumbs and treats to be had, and will do this when everythings quiet and she can go undetected. It's possible you'll hear her and be able to corner her then. Can't remember how many times one of my kids hamsters or mice got loose. Almost always found them in kitchen. Good luck!

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I'll have to make him try that.
Unfortunately, his dog has a very guilty demeanor right now. I hate to think what might have happened to her.

Thanks for the advice, perhaps there is hope!

Good luck, I hope you find her. I just wanted to let you know there is hope. There were several times when I had pet rats that I thought they were lost forever, but they always turned up--sometimes it even took a couple of days. Otch1 advice is very good--leave some yummy stuff around for her.

Kase

I really hope you find her!

Years ago my hamster got out and was missing for a week.She was under the floor boards so we placed her cage next to a hole in the boards and she returned a week after escaping. She was fine but had burnt paws from the water pipes.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
He's got food in the middle of the rooms. There is a hole in the kitchen that goes back very far, there's no way to get in or see as far back as it goes, even with a flashlight. I hope she's just hiding out in there and will come out soon to get some treats.

Hopefully, she's not so fat that she got stuck somewhere.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I'm hoping she does too.
So many have told me that theirs have gone missing for upwards of a week or more! Ugh, I'm such a worrywart but it still gets to me that a tiny little domesticated critter has gone off missing, there's just too many things for her to get into.
The poor chubby likes to put all sorts of little things in her mouth when she finds them. She doesn't just eat, she harbours things, LOL.

Snark

Mutts to you
When my sister's hamster would escape, we would set up a 'stupid hamster trap' in the middle of the kitchen floor. It involved a bucket, a board and trail of treats up the board and in the bucket. Floyd the hamster fell (literally) for it every time. Hope you find her!

Maxy24

the bucket thing snark was talking about was a bucket tall enough so that your hamster cannot jump out of it but not so tall that he would be afraid to jump into it. You use a dimple wooden ramp up to the top of the bucket and fill the bottom of the bucket with food. Then turn out the lights and go to bed in the morning you will hopefully have a hamster in the bucket, you can put one in every room or just the kitchen or the room whee the cage was (the two rooms she would most likely be in.) i hope you find her!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
yup that was what i was going to write, the bucket thing really works, i used a staircase of books tho. Also go around the edges of rooms and most likely your hamster will be nestled up with some chewed up carpet in the corner of a closet. WE had one that got out, a three legger named Gimp that tried to move about 10 lbs of dog food into the back of a dishwasher. He was scooting a hairbrush across the kitchen floor when we busted him. Make sure tho that you block under the door to the basement especially if you have stairs that are not solid. the hamster can harm himself fatally if he finds stairs like that. Found that out the hard way. ANd watch out while loading the washing machine, a friend found that out the hard way too.

They will also look for water so bait your trap with a small undrownable bowl of water.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Haven't found her yet. :(
I've been looking for her, including the hole in the kitchen she may have gotten into. I wish I could see all the way back, but I think there's even a couple of twists in it.

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw a red stain on the kitchen tiles, thinking it was blood. Turned out to be a cherry jello stain.:rolleyes:

From the previous posts by others who had this happen, I am trying to keep hope up.

Members online

No members online now.