Something wrong with Nora's Ear!

avenlee

last night as I was going to bed, around 10:00 pm. My daughter came up and told me that Nora's ear was bleeding. I raced downstairs to look and it looked like it bled quite a bit. I got a warm washcloth to wipe it and I'm thinking she just maybe cut it scratching it. The bleeding stopped and I went back to bed.

Well, this morning she will not stop shaking her head. There's no more bleeding this morning. Could there be some dried blood in her ear and that's why its irritated?

I still have some ear flushing left over from Sadie's ears that the vet prescribed. Its called TrizEDTA (Aqueous Flush for Dogs and Cats) to see if that helps?

Any replies is deeply appreciated.

Debi

Poor Nora!!!! my first thought was that it could just be one of those superficial cuts like you get sometimes that happen to bleed alot due to blood vessels being so close to the surface. But...since she is shaking her head and seems to be in distress, I'm thinking it could be a bacterial infection. Or...maybe she scratched too hard from mites or an insect that got into her ear. If she didn't seem better after flushing, I'd imagine a trip to the vet is needed. Let us know how she is.....feel better Nora!

avenlee

I just put the flush in and she's not too happy with me as you can imagine. I looked at the ear again and it looks clear and not red or swollen. I think she did scrap it a bit with her nails from scratching it. Guess its time to clip her nails. She'll really love me then lol

She ran up the stairs and I bet she's under my bed now pouting. I probably won't see her all day now unless I go get her. She holds a grudge for a looong time. I'll keep my eye on it of course and see how it is on Monday. The vet charges extra for weekend emergencies. hate to bring her in for nothing.

Oh yeah, I meant to ask, would you recommend me to wipe it with peroxcide or something. Even apply Bacitration (sp. check)?

avenlee

Yes, she is white. And thanks Debi and Renee ((((hugs))) Nora would thank you too but she's still under my bed. lol

Debi

I LOVE Neosporin. Lol..Nora reminds me of Addie. Addie will do the exact same thing...go hide and pout for a LONG time over anything...nails, etc....even removing her collar. Thank Goodness she is ok with brushing. Nora probably read this already so she knows about the nail clipping....and she's staying under that bed for sure. I know what you mean about the high charge on the weekend for the vet!!!! I'm glad she seems to be much better. :)

avenlee

Just an update on Nora. Her ear problem was in fact a yeast / inner ear infection. she seemed fine for a few days with me cleaning and flushing, but yesterday her ear looked horrible and beginning to leak puss. I got her into the vets ASAP after I saw that. Actually my husband brought her in. They put her on the ear flush thingy and ointment by the name of animax (nystatin-neomycin sulfate-thiostrepton-triamcinolone acetonide ointment) geeeeeeesh all greek to me :) Poor baby's been through alot this week. I get up from my chair and she runs upstairs. LOL I'm going to have to give her a big present for all of this.

Debi

Glad to hear Nora is on the mend. That ointment is amazing..works fast to relieve the discomfort. I had thought it might be bacterial due to the bleeding, but I guess poor Nora just scratched a bit hard. Yeast infections are hard to determine until they are full blown. Poor Ham had one that I didn't have a clue about until he was suddenly shaking his head and walking crooked. It was good you were flushing her ear because the ointment is only really effective if the ear is cleaned out. :) feel better little Nora!

avenlee

Thanks Deb! (that's my name BTW :D ) She's back to her 'pepper' self and withchy as ever. Got to love them. She's such a drama queen.

I am also going to start getting into a weekly routine of cleaning both Sadie's and Nora's ears with perioxide. (1 part and 2 parts water) I think this may help with these flare ups.

Members online

No members online now.