Something's wrong with Hunter!

necterine0

Oooohhh! I need to know what that is!!! I'm thinking about installing a cattle zapper at this point! Please let me know what you know!

I will have my son ask his friend he installs fences. And i will get back to you on it

Sorry I missed the uproar until this morning! Hope Hunter isn't suffering TOO much for his sins - poor guy!

You really don't need to do anything fancy or expensive to secure the perimeter around the bottom of the fence. Just get some rebar and drive it into the ground around the base of the fence. You can even drive it all the way it, or leave a few inches sticking up, whichever suits you. Just figure out how far apart you need to drive the rebar to keep him in and get your sledghammer.

Last edited:

EliNHunter

Hi, everyone! Well, Hunter is still hurting. I've been giving him Ascriptin. It's the top 3rd of his tail... pretty sure it's sprained, poor baby. I'll give an update tonight when I get home.

As for the rebar... I've tried that! When he couldn't get underneath because of it, he started a snag in the fence (vinyl coated wire!) and then worked on it until he formed a hole and could fit his body through the fence! Guess he'll always be indoors even on nice days :(

Debi

Poor baby Hunter! All he wanted was a little doggie adventure (don't they all) I wonder if he didn't bruise himself when he was squashing under the fence. Probably HAD to keep going since he was all the way to the tail, but bruised it all the same. Thank Goodness nothing is broken...but feeling sooooo bad that our guy is hurting. Hugs to Hunter from Aunt Deb. Hope he feels better very soon!

gapeach

Big Mutts
That's hilarious about Rufus! Hope Hunter is feeling better now, poor guy. You would think that the pain would be enough to convince him not to do it again. My mama's dog Angel (white GS) takes an electric shock to get over their fence! My mama finally decided it wasn't working anyway and turned it off.

EliNHunter

Well, I'm home and Hunter was all excited and running around so I thought he was better. But the excitement of me getting home since subsided and he's laying by me and isn't too happy. I think he's getting used to the pain and just enduring it, poor baby. I think he just bruised himself terribly squashing under that small opening between a big rock on metal rods of the gate. And sprained the tail, perhaps. He is back to changing positions often trying to get comfortable. Any ideas on how to stop him from doing this? I was thinking about a livestock zapper wire along the bottom of the fenceline. After one or two zaps, I would hope he'd get the idea? :confused:

How expensive are the invisible fencelines? I'd hate to invest in a fence within a fence! :mad:

Amy, you can get a solar fencer from a farm store. They're about $50-$75. You'll have to get some wire and plastic insulators to hold the wire, but they're not expensive. That should stop him after one or two tries. He probably won't even want to look at the fence!

EliNHunter

Renee750il said:
Amy, you can get a solar fencer from a farm store. They're about $50-$75. You'll have to get some wire and plastic insulators to hold the wire, but they're not expensive. That should stop him after one or two tries. He probably won't even want to look at the fence!
Oooooh! A SOLAR fence??? Never heard of it! I'm googling right now.... thanks! :cool:

I'm gathering they're solar powered from the name it has? That would be perfect!

Yep, they've got an auxiliary battery, but they are primarily solar powered juicers. We've got one on the back fence and it does a good job of keeping the cows in - when some numbnuts doesn't disconnect it so they can cut through the pasture hunting . . . It cuts out having a cord running out to the fence, eliminating the possibility that Hunter might chew on it.

That might be what Onyx' people need to get as well . . .

EliNHunter

Good Morning, Renee! No, Hunter didn't knock anything out of joint because he's not limping around. He seems much better today. The top 3rd of his tail seems a bit swollen and tender to the touch, so I really think he sprained it --over extended it or what not. He can still wag it, though!

I e-mailed a company about the solar paneled electric fence. Saw the battery backup, too. Want to know what the "insulator things" are the wire needs to run through. Looks like that's what I might be getting!

EliNHunter

Renee750il said:
Here's what the insulators look like: http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=8&paID=1043&sonID=370&productID=1021

There are also insulators that go on wood posts. If you'll go to www.mytscstore.com and put "insulators" in the product search you'll see them. They hold the wire away from the fence posts so that the circuit isn't shorted out.
Wow... it looks like I could put those insulators directly on the fence and not even have to drive posts into the ground?

Members online

No members online now.