Dog Chews everything in sight!

Renee Dick

My husband and I have a one year old male Akita-Shepherd cross. He is a great companion. One problem that we have, and it has cost my husband's family a family heirloom, is that our dog, Grififn, chews on things. My mother-in-law is storing a bunch of stuff in our porch area, that is blocked off by a half wall from the backyard, where Griffin spends most of his time. He has plenty of toys, and a warm doghouse. My husband went out to the porch to light the BBQ tonight, and found our dog in the porch (he has discovered he can jump over the wall) and he had chewed the cover off of a bible that belongs to his mom. This bible was bought by her father just after he returned from the Vietnam war, and he had left notes inside, and had written his thoughts in it. This is a very valuable (though not financially valuable) item. It is irreplacable. I need to know how to deal with this, short of finding a new home, or losing my temper. Please help me!

Julie

I am back again.
First I would like to say I am sorry about the bible.
Most of my childhood pictures and scrapbooks were ruined when our
basement flooded during a flood.

Some dogs chew more than others.
I think it is enhanced by boredom.
Maybe you should bring your dog in the house, and get some family interaction.

I am a firm believer if a dog is always outside and never made part of the family, you will have problems. Now there is always exceptions to my rules such as aggression problems etc. They sometimes can not be as close in the family as a more placid dog.

The only other thing I can add is to make sure the dog has no access to anything of importance. I have had many things chewed up, but I expected it and never once thought of rehoming my dogs. My labs were chewers until 2 years old. I think they have gotten over it now. But I still can't hang my clothes on the line. Because they will be ripped down and made into a nice doggie bed in the middle of a hole they dug in the yard.

Do You Guys know how much I miss not smelling laundry dried fresh in the breeze????? Not to mention the extra electric for drying in the dryer. LOL

If you love your dog, you just deal with it. I don't know what else to say.

Best Wishes,
Julie.

Renee Dick

I appreciate your response. Firstly though, Griffin spends more time inside than he does outside. He sleeps outside only, and when we are away from the house. I don't work, and spend most of my days at home with him and our two cats. I love my dog, and do not want to find him a new home. I am simply looking for a solution to this problem. He has destroyed too many objects that do not belong to me and my husband for us to be able ignore this problem.

filarotten

Fila the love
I agree with Julie. More interaction in the home. Not so much alone time in the yard. The breeds of your dog like human interaction, and would rather be close to you. Dealing with a puppy can be rough. They don't know the difference between something of value and something that is not. You can expect a puppy to chew. The best thing is to block off whatever you don't want him to get. Give him lots of toys, raw bones and spend a lot of time with him. If he is chewing on something he shouldn't replace it with a toy or bone. Losing your temper will not stop the chewing. If that is his only problem why consider rehoming him? More than likely he will outgrow much of it but being in the house with the family could eliminate some of the boredom.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I don't think it's necessarily a lack of attention. Some dogs just simply like to chew.

Chewing is usually a puppy thing. I think your dog just needs time to mature. In the meantime, keep things away from him and keep him supervised. My dog was a horrible chewer up until he was 14 months old. Then one day, it's like he suddenly stopped. Now he only chews his toys, and only occassionally.

it sounds like your dog is just bored.. not mentaly stimulated..
maybe you and your dog should take a class ? activate him more and i´m pretty sure he will be too "pooped" to go on these destruction sprees..
my youngest dog Quira was a huge "chewer", she destroyed our bed +sheets,pillows, sofa ( you get the pic *S*) so i had to get of my butt and give her somthing to do.. we took an obe. class and spent a bit more time letting her use her brain and now she is much happier and relaxed (as am I)
good luck and sorry bout the bible.

Members online

No members online now.