Minnie has really found her voice!

little liz

little liz
I have noticed that Minnie has started barking a lot more lately. She is almost a year old and I was just wondering if the barking is just normal for her age or if it likely to have been sparked by something. And should I be discouraging her from this? I guess it could become a annoying if she gets any more voluble! if so HOW???

Herschel

Herschel started barking a couple of months ago so we taught him the command "quiet".

He doesn't bark in the house anymore but if someone comes to the door or he gets startled when we're out for a walk he will bark like crazy. While walking now we always keep a clicker handy and if we see something that is going to startle him we say "watch me" and click and treat constantly as we walk past.

Does Minnie bark in the house? Is she left outside? While walking?

little liz

little liz
well she barks if people come near the house or next door and while playing and if she doesn't like/understand something or if she is a hyped up and is told to go to her bed she barks in protest. It is not so much that she barks but that she has started barking for longer! The barking while playing thing is actually quite annoying and I have cut short playing time with other dogs who she barks at because of this. I also have to distract her and play with her and stuff if people are talking outside but I don't want her to think that barking means she gets my attention! Hmmmm:(

little liz

little liz
The command 'quiet' would be very helpful. What is the best way to teach this please?

I should point out that for the most part this is happy 'tail wagging so much she's about to take off' barking. Minnie does bark at things that she does not understand also but for the most part she is excited. Barking while playing is fine if it is just the odd happy woof but not when she stands barking continuously until the other dog starts running pouncing again or even strolling away because they have had enough playing LOL. That is annoying on the ears and not all dogs are up to continuously running around at breakneck speeds! she is too demanding!

She is not a guard dog...the barking when people come near her house are because she is excited and wanting them to come and see her. Yes again it is nece to be warned of people aproaching but not to the extent of extended barking until they leave. She does also bark at me if i am in the front garden sometimes, and she is in the house

Herschel

"For indoor barking, teach your dog to be quiet by distracting him, saying the word "Quiet" or "Enough," and then praising him for minding -- he'll make the connection soon enough, with repetition and lots of praise. Rattling a can filled with pennies is a commonly recommended distraction, and it works well. Shouting at your dog does nothing except make you feel temporarily better."

-http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=329&S=1&SourceID=28

Members online

No members online now.