Do you ever wish you didnt know as much as you did?

bubbatd

I'm still learning ....I feel sorry for people who think they know everything .

Romy

Taxiderpy
Sometimes it bothers me, but there's other times where I can sit back and smile...

For instance, I have a friend with a blue pitbull female he got from the shelter. She's gorgeous! We got into talking about dog food and he said he was feeding her IAMS...I cringed a bit but he kept insisting she had the most beautiful soft coat (which she does!!!) then I flipped it to...ya know, if you fed a premium food she'd be even softer and would just shine...about 6 months later (he's deployed right now) he messaged me on Yahoo to tell me he switched foods like I suggested and she's even softer and smoother and I HAVE to come see her!!! So, I guess sometimes it does work to tell them about better foods and stuff, she's now on Flint River Ranch (or something like that) :)
Nice!

I'm glad to be blessed with a little bit of knowledge about dogs. My dogs are a lot happier, better adjusted and healthier than they would be.

I'm so sad though. One of my friends who shows dogs used to feed awesome foods, but her collies hips were always a little boney. He's a very active working dog, under 2 years old, so I thought it was fine. Anyway, some other collie breeders convinced her to start feeding Purina.

Well, he is still skinny and I'm sorry but his coat looks like CRAP. Seriously. She's hoping it will come back in nice since he's also blowing it but holy moly I hope she sees the light soon because he will do much better in the show ring with decent nutrition. It's so brittle the hairs break in half if you pet him backwards *shudders*.

B

Blue_Dog

Yes. Even when I'm watching movies and TV shows I have to turn off the knowledgeable pet owner button to try and enjoy it. Only one of my friends is what I would consider dog savvy (actually she knows WAY more then me when it comes to dogs) the rest of them don't listen all too much. It's even worse with smaller animals like rats or hamsters because they are considered throw-away pets. You think some dog owners are bad and ignorant you should see the people with rodents, bad enough to make you cry.

~Tucker&Me~

It just hurts. I have done research. They call me the dog whisperer (which I hate lol,) They KNOW how much I know about dogs, yet they listen to my aunt who this isher first dog and her first food was royal canin because they have "cute shaped pieces and a golden retriever on the bag."

It makes me feel like they don't value my opinion.
I used to ask myself the exact same thing a few years ago. I think I understand better now why this happens.

I am very opinionated about everything dog. I won't deny it. When it comes to training, breeding, feeding, care, and a bunch of other things, I have my own opinions of what is best for dogs. When I was younger, I didn't have a good sense of how much is too much. If people mentioned they were feeding something I thought was less that great, I would give them my full and detailed opinion on what *I* thought was good food and why they should feed it instead. I think people who weren't serious about dogs started looking to other people because with me there was right and wrong and I was basically lecturing them.

I had to learn that in order to help other people's dogs, I had to come across as less imposing. When people ask I try to politely suggest things, otherwise for the most part I keep my mouth shut (unless of course a dog was being mistreated or something).

I find that unless someone asks me for a suggestion, they generally aren't going to take my advice anyway.

I frequently have to remind myself that ok, feeding Science Diet isn't great, but the dog is not being mistreated and is happy. It's unfortunate, but it happens. I try and be polite about respecting their decision while being open to any questions they might have.

Of course, this is for people that mean well but are naive, not about those who don't care or are abusive.

There are times I wish I didn't know, but for my dogs sake, I am glad I do.

Sorry didn't mean to write a novel :rofl1:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Well gee. I could go to dog shows and enjoy seeing the different breeds if i didn't know how screwed up they are.

I could buy treats without worrying about what is in them. ANd i could buy much cheaper food which would be better for my budget. But no...nada.

I could not be bothered by what i see other people do to or not do to their dogs.

I could not worry about ticks, fleas, and mosquitos and the diseases they carry. THat would be REAL nice.

I could look at the puppies that are being sold in the pet store and not want to scream.

YodelDogs

I have the hardest time when I hear someone talk about how they just took their dog to the vet and the dog was given a 7 way combo shot, rabies shot, dewormer, topical flea control, and heartworm pills all at the same time! :eek:

Criosphynx

Heres my deal. I've owned dogs for 3 years. Count 'em.

and in that time I've aquired a vast amount of knowledge. About everything, health, training, diet, etc.

It just iritates me to no end that if I can learn all this in 3 years people who have had dogs their entire lives can be so horribly ignorant. I'm talking the "rub the face in pee" "dog is trying to dominate me" "I should breed my dog because it exists" types.

The info is out there. The info is free. Its not hard to aquire.

I pretty much had to avoid dog people for a long time, until I learned how to ignore them. There was a period of time where I could not help myself.

especially about training. I get emotional about training. Can't help it, now that I know what I know.

pretty much now I've learned not to give any advice unless its asked for, because if its not asked for, they won't listen to you anyway.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
YES! All the time. And also, no. :)

I tested in the 95th percentile in high school (the ACT or something) and my dad in his great wisdom told me, "That means that 95% of the people you meet are dumber than you." Sigh. Thanks, Dad.

It is very hard, especially when you're young (and I'm still pretty young) and you learn all these great (prey model raw feeding) and not-so-great (thousands of animals dying in shelters) things. I remember when I first became enlightened about "green" living. I realized how EVERYTHING I did was soooo wasteful, and all the products I bought were so FULL of horrible chemicals, and tried to change everything overnight. And of course, I burned out on that in about a month.

I still try to live "green", but it's in babysteps now. The same way, I try not to feel too horribly guilty when I can't help out at ALL the shelter adoption events. I do what I can, and I'm going to feel good about that, rather than feeling bad about all the things I can't do. What I think, when you DO know the things you know, then you have to just do your best and be an example for others. Those that want to learn, will ask you why and how, and you can teach them. Those that don't want to learn, nothing you can do about it really.

Since I foster chldren and hear what people do to them and see the situations the state gives the children back to I haven't been as bad about dogs not eating the best food or about someone not taking their dog to the vet ASAP. When you see how kids are treated it is hard to be upset because someone isn't feeding their dog the best food they could be.

However, I can't stand when I see a dog that lives outside 24/7 and rarely or never gets any attention. That one is still hard for me even when I know there are children that live like this too. The dog food is important but not as sad to me as this.

I also hate how people treat any of their pets (like some said rats, hampsters, fish) bad or neglect them. I get so upset when I see anything suffering.

My daughter's boyfriend and my friend never take their dogs to the vet. My friend's one dog lived till she was 14 and her other one is around 12 now. My daughter's boyfriend dogs are 13 and 5 (Boxers). No heartworm, no shots, nothing! I couldn't do it but somehow these dogs are doing fine. My Mom rarely took our dogs to the vet when I was younger and my Poodle lived to be 19! Now my Mom's dogs are treated better then most children! LOL.

Like I said I don't agree with it and would never do it but I don't get as upset about it as I used to. I won't lose friends over it unless they are totally mistreated or being cruel. I can't even kill a bug and get upset when someone does if it is not necessary.

I'm still learning ....I feel sorry for people who think they know everything .
I don't think I know everything. hardly.

I'm talking about the things I KNOW for a fact. Like I know for a FACT that when my mom feeds a food where the first few ingredients are:

INGREDIENTS
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour,
And that chicken by-product meal is the ONLY meat in the entire food...

I know what I am talking about when I say that the REASON your dog is shedding so much, and the REASON her coat is dull, is because you switched her to that from a food that has this:

Ingredients:
Lamb,lamb meal, whole grain brown rice,
I DO know for a FACT that it was a step DOWN.

I don't ramble about things I am not sure about.

ETA- and LEARNING, is much different from what I am talklng about. learning means you know you don't know everything and are willing to try new ideas.

When I tell my sister in law the reason her 3 year old chihuahua's teeth are BROWN is because of that kibbles and bits she is feeding him, and her response is "Sometimes I put some toothpaste in his mouth," it makes me cringle. So sorry if I seem like a know it all.

Last edited:
I'd love to be able to turn off my dog knowledge switch. I get way, way too passionate about anything dog related and typically get myself worked up and upset if I can't get my point across or someone won't listen.

I know someone with an obese beagle mix. Seriously obese. His stomach touches the floor when he sits (and can only sit with his legs tossed to the side, by the way). Everyone just thinks he's oh so cute for being so fat as I'm just sitting there ripping my hair out. When I try to explain, all I get is "Oh he's not that fat.." or something along those lines. His back is as flat as a coffee table. I will not be surprised when this dog dies of a heart attack or something.

I'd love to be able to turn off my dog knowledge switch. I get way, way too passionate about anything dog related and typically get myself worked up and upset if I can't get my point across or someone won't listen.

I know someone with an obese beagle mix. Seriously obese. His stomach touches the floor when he sits (and can only sit with his legs tossed to the side, by the way). Everyone just thinks he's oh so cute for being so fat as I'm just sitting there ripping my hair out. When I try to explain, all I get is "Oh he's not that fat.." or something along those lines. His back is as flat as a coffee table. I will not be surprised when this dog dies of a heart attack or something.
A lot of people don't know that beagles and bassets get hip dysplacia too. It's horrible when a beagle is overweight. A lot of times, if they are BYB, their legs are really skinny too, that's too much weight for that poor dog.

Dekka

Just try me..
no.. because then my dogs would be getting a lesser standard of care than they do now.

Thats when I get really annoyed too. my friends chi (rocket)who is plain obeese, the one we took to the dog park yesterday. Every one kept commenting on Corona on how he was too thin. he is another chi, in amazing shape, his owner does alot of hiking with the little guy daily, he is out for like 1.5 hours a day hiking and playing. He is all mucsle and looks awsome, but yet every one kept commenting on how rocket my friends chi was in great shape. I couldnt take it nay more and said "corona is in amazing shape. rocket is a fatty".. I love rocket, but he is fat fat fat lol.

and the lady who was proud her pug beagle mis was almost 30lbs, but about the size of a small pug, it was SOOO fat. and she kept saying but she is so cute fat. i wanted to vomit.

I was giving her dog some little baby carrots as treats and trying to be nice and be like "if you just give her healthy treats like this, she will loose a bit of weight", her owner "but she loves mcdonalds, and wendys and burger king and all the good foods, not carrots.

yet the dog was eating all the baby carrots blaze was dropping behind him.

I never get why people like to have fat pets. to me its abuse.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
haha this is a fun topic for me. my answer... yes and no. I like that I know what I know so that I can provide a better life for Bamm...

But... at times I wish I didn't know what I know because I'm super super passionate about dogs, ESP training and I annoy people around me when I open my mouth about dogs or how I disagree with something or how that food is horrible for them, etc etc. I cringe anytime someone talks about training their dog with negative reinforcement or when they try and I get really heated up when someone tries to use negative training methods on my dog or suggest that I do so.

As soon as I open my mouth I get the rolled eyes from people or the, "here she goes again..." but THEN when someone has a problem with their dogs they come to me... wtf? I had an ex roomie just buy a puppy off kijiji.com and argue with me that her breeder is a great breeder (I wanted to vomit over that one). When I tried to explain to her that no responsible breeder would sell their puppy on kijiji she argued me and basically told me she knows what she's doing... yet then turned around and emailed me a few days later asking me for advice on types of food.

I don't completely write off other people when they don't treat their dogs to my standards... but unfortunately I do tend to put up a bit of a wall... not on purpose... but it happens.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
No.

Because I add a healthy dollop of common sense into my thinking and I appreciate not everyone knows everything about dogs, just as I do not. Plus there are TONS of topics I'm totally ignorant on, and I'd hope someone didn't look down on me because I haven't learnt about it just yet.

So no. Because worrying doesn't do anyone any good ever.

I don't completely write off other people when they don't treat their dogs to my standards... but unfortunately I do tend to put up a bit of a wall... not on purpose... but it happens.
No.

Because I add a healthy dollop of common sense into my thinking and I appreciate not everyone knows everything about dogs, just as I do not. Plus there are TONS of topics I'm totally ignorant on, and I'd hope someone didn't look down on me because I haven't learnt about it just yet.

So no. Because worrying doesn't do anyone any good ever.
Okay I worded it wrong, I don't necessarily write them off. If someone doesn't know something, I do my best to educate.

I'm talking about how my family calls me the dog lady, and the dog whisperer, and they KNOW how much I research and read all things dog. They KNOW that I am passionate about things I KNOW about, and then they do the opposite.

My parents did so good in the beginning. They researched breeders, I found them a good one. They were going to get on a waiting list. I show up at their house one day to a husky lab mix, SIX weeks old, that they paid $200 bucks off kijiji. And I pulled 12 tics off her THAT NIGHT. Fast forward. They get her on wellness food. Awesome. My mom loses her job- ahh that sucks, so they switch to kirkland. Still good!

They start giving her those wet beneful meals. "Oh but they have carrots and peas!" Okay dogs dont NEED carrots and peas. It also has tons of corn.

"Hey mom, dad, Mocha is getting pretty hyper, shes about 10 months old now, you really show crate her when youre not here. This is the same age Chance ate my couch."

"yeah yeah okay."

Dog eats the $3,000.00 couch. Cool. Great. They pay $100.00 to get it fixed, no big deal.

They switch to beneful dry food now.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

I just sometimes want to give up trying to help OTHER people with their dogs when I feel like I am talking to a wall.

I know that MY dogs are getting the best I can provide for THEM and I wouldn't change a thing about that.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
I don't have a hard time accepting people who don't know as much as I do about dogs. Or any of the animals I have as pets. I understand not everybody is as into research as I am and don't read up like they should.

But that doesent make me write them off. I try my best to educate them and then move on without constantly trying to lecture them. They can look at my dogs and see the difference. If they ask for advice I give it. But if the dog is happy and not being neglected I have no problem with it. If someone doesent feed Raw or innova I don't freak out. I just mention what I feed my dogs and how much they love it.

I don't feel like I have the right to tell people what is the right or wrong way to raise a dog. Like I said if they are getting their basic needs met then there isn't much that I need to say. Its their life and vet bills.

I know for a fact that I don't know it all. And I don't pretend to. Every dog is different.

Dreeza

I just sometimes want to give up trying to help OTHER people with their dogs when I feel like I am talking to a wall.

I know that MY dogs are getting the best I can provide for THEM and I wouldn't change a thing about that.
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I wish I could just throw my knowledge aside (& i doubt my knowledge is much compared to some people on here!!) & not let it personally affect me when I see people not providing the very best for their dogs.

My insistence on educating my best friend (& i can assure you, i really do it in the most humble way possible...I try to provide her w/links & bits of info that people on here have provided rather than me just preach it w/no evidence to back it up) is currently driving a wedge in our friendship. She no longer tells me certain things b/c she knows I'll have something to say...and i've pretty much tried not to tell her things unless they are really super important....but it eats me up inside NOT to say anything (so i get to live w/that).

After all that I thought I taught her...providing her w/endless advice (esp thanks to Doberluv!!!)...she ended up w/Barkbusters.

Enough said. I'm gonna have chronic high blood pressure until we stop living together.

Members online

No members online now.