Help plz

I just got a puppy from the Shelter the head of the shelter is a close personal friend ofmine.. she has a Border collie purebred at home her border collie had puppies. She got out of the yard and got pregnant. Im trying to define the Dog that the border collie mated with I cant tell.. If u would like to see a pic of the puppy since this forum wont let me do it my way Lol. email me.. or if someone knows how to post pics on this bloddy thing let me know Lol.. Ill post it on the forum.. okies..thanks for the help

pitbulliest

What a beauty..but it should still be with the mother..until its at least 8 weeks of age..much too young to be away from the litter.

From the looks of it, it seems like a purebred border collie to me...maybe some dalmation?...but its still too young to really be able to tell. Wait until its a little bit older..

Why did your friend leave a dog unsupervised anyways? That's not very good..it just ran out and got pregnant?...for someone that works in an animal shelter, its kind of strange that a) she didn't have the dog spayed yet and b) the dog was left unsupervised, OUTSIDE. I don't want to sound like a scrooge, but I hope she's keeping the pups with the mom until they're old enough to be adopted out into good homes.

Anyways, keep posting pics as your pup gets older and I'm sure we'll be able to help you out. :)

my wife thought that dalmation might be involved. lol..the lady at the shelter told me they were 6 weeks old and that was the available age for them to be released.. Go figure. Anyway bout ure question . The pure breed border collie the shelter ladie had .. was going to be sent to the farm. For Mating with other Pure bred collies Anyway. Apparantly the dog got out.. of her fenced yard. one of the kids must have not shut the gate.. They found her 3 days later... There were 8 puppies . and They were all 6 weeks old. this one was the runt and the last one to be had.. rest of em were adopted.. only reason i took this dog was i put in a request at the shelter any border collie puppy comes in notify me immediatly also was a good thing cause the shelter is taken care of its shots deworm spay or neuter and rabie shot.. Because I didnt get the puppy from the shelter. i didnt have to pay . when the woman who runs shelter is same lady got the puppy from.. Lol i didnt argue.. Anyway.. i had a quick question. this is my first puppie. and I feel like im babbying it to much. see the shelter said to take really good care cause its so smal.and i dont want to babby it to much. she crys alot and when i pick her up she stops. when she crys i come running to her rescue like an overprotected mother with her newborn.. LMAo.. I just dont want her growing up spoiled.
Thanks for all ure help and ofcourse will keep posting Pics. Btw i named her Already. We call her Sadie..(was gunna be lady but. we were like. Too much LAdy and the tramp )
Thanks for all ure help. I hope u can help me become a good father.. For some reason im the one who seems to be a mother figure.. Sadie doesnt acnolodge my wife. much.. i mean she pets the dog and plays it about as much as i do but i guess u have a connection with someone that feeds and waters u and takes u outside.? Lol.
Thanks again.
Frank McQueen :)

candy722

Cute puppy. Some people say 6 weeks is okay to leave their moms since they are already eating dry food. I personally thing 6 week is a bit young but it's okay as long the owner knows how to take care of a young puppy. I still think 8-9 weeks is better to leave the mom.

Yup, Frank, sounds like you're The Mommy. Sadie's missed out on some lessons her birth-mom would be teaching her between 6 and 8 weeks. One of those is becoming independent. For a Border Collie, I'd suggest some toys that provide something to do, like puzzle balls and puppy Kongs. Let Sadie play with these on her own for awhile. She needs to learn to amuse herself and be alone.

You'll also have to start addressing mouthing with her soon, too.

She's a cutie. You're going to have a great time with her!

Thanks u for your help everyone. Renee what is mouthing and Puzzle balls and Puppy kong.. Btw this is my first dog. My second pet and first dog.. my first pet was dawson a cat which was easy. THis pet is completly oposite. im trying to tell what she wants when she wines.. but. I sometimes mistaken. i can tell that when she is outside and doesnt have to pottey she crys and moans and wants to come back inside
What are those things u spoke up renee .. I really have no clue what those are. Money is no option tho.. i have a teething ring for her but the she cant even get it in her mouth.. Lol.. Plz help

Mouthing is when she wants to gnaw on you - your fingers, your hands, your arm, your feet . . . and those sharp little puppy teeth hurt! Plus, mouthing is a behaviour that a mother dog would address between a pup's sixth and eighth week. You need to discourage her when she does this; tell her "no," take her mouth off of you, give her a [safe] chew toy for puppies and praise her when she chews on the toy.

Puzzle balls are great toys, especially for inquisitive, active breeds like the Border Collies. You put treats in them and the dog/pup has to figure out how to roll them to get a treat to fall out. Wonderful things to keep 'em busy! Kongs are toys also, and there are different sizes for different size dogs and there are also puppy Kongs. They have a cavity that you can stuff things like peanut butter or cheese in, they're gnawable, and they can keep a pup busy for quite awhile. When she loses her baby teeth, try some of the Orbee toys (www.planetdog.com). They're wonderfully squishy AND virtually indestructible.

I'll bet that with her Border Collie blood you can get her to "play" herding her toys when she's older. Get a toy box of some sort (make sure it's not something that will splinter or paint chips will come off of if she tries gnawing on it) to keep her toys in. Scatter them out in the room, then let her watch you roll them and carry them and put them in the box. I'll bet she gets the idea and when those herding instincts start kicking in you'll be ahead of the game with something she can "herd;" her toys!

Thanks renee Preciate the help.. Sadie is always gnawing on The wife LMAo.. her hair mostly.. hehe.. anyway i bought her a puppy chew toy that helps fight cavitys and such but she cant even get it in her mouth. Lol and it said on the box for puppies i assumed they detached from the ring so she could play with the pieces but .. NO!!!!! lol. its huge lol.. Ill have to go to petsmart and check this stuff out. The dog section at our walmart Sucks.. heh. Oh btw had an issue to ask u all about.. when the pup Pottys on the floor. U are or arent supposta rub there noses in it and tap them on the hiney and say NO.. ? this is a contraversy around my house cause ive heard ure not supposta do it and Ive heard u are.. lol.. Maybe u can clear it up

Thanks.. Im headed to petsmart to see what they got

No nose rubbing! They have no clue what that's all about. When they're this young, you have to do most of the work. After eating, get your Sadie in the habit of napping quietly for a few minutes, then play with her for a few minutes, then take her to the door and have her sit, then on to the outside and tell her to go potty, or whatever phrase you want her to learn. Praise her lavishly when she goes, and be sure to let her stay out and play for a few minutes after she's done the deed so she won't decide that the fun's over after she goes.

You'll want to watch and see what kind of schedule her system works on so you can take her out in between feedings, too. Her kidneys will be pretty active at this stage in her development, so you may need to take her out every 2 hours - or even every hour and a half.

I really, really wish I could remember whose idea this was, because it's a great one and they deserve credit for it: one member was having problems with accidents in the house so she started scolding the accident! Her dog got the idea that the accident was a bad thing, and stopped having them in the house!

THanks for clearin that up.. i think im learning her system.. I forgot to mention this in my last letter Sadies food is put up after 6pm.. we go to bed bout 10 and then.. before we got to bed take her out.. this morning when i woke up. i had found her in the middle of the cats food bowl and food scattered all over the place... should i put the cats food bowl and water dish high up so sadie cant get it? or what? Last night was really neet I tought her how to sit by snapping. and pointing my finger at her nose. and she sits i feed her a treat. was so kewl.. Lol.. when she sees the snack its kinda hard for her to sit still but eventually i get her too... Im sorry for askin all these questions. Lol but like i said my first Puppie let alone first dog! ..
Thanks goes to u all. Its nice to know u all and like i said ill keep u posted belive me Hehe

It sounds like you and Sadie are doing pretty well!

But yes, you will have to put the cats' food up. No puppy can resist the lure of that lovely, stinky stuff. And you won't like the after effects of Sadie eating cat food! PHEW! :eek:

Members online

No members online now.