How vocal is your dog?

GipsyQueen

How vocal is your dog - and why do they bark?

Zora is WAY more vocal than Gipsy and she barks for totally different reasons. Gipsy would bark if someone rang the door, or she saw guest, or someone was in the yard. SOMETIMES if someone was walking by.
Zora barks for none of these reasons - but she's much much more vocal. She barks when she wants your attention, when she's hungry, when she wants something, when she's annoyed, when she wants to go out and just... because... she... can. So much barking. We're working on her not barking so much, but oh my goodness does she bark alot. She's a herding breed so this isn't too surprising but boy oh boy it can be annoying. :p

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
Lugia is pretty quiet, she used to be barky as a puppy (which I discouraged by hugging her every time she barked... she hated hugs as a pup). She'll bark if she hears a stranger moving around in the house, bark periodically during intense play sessions, and sometimes if she feels ignored she'll bark once to get my attention.

Circus (who's only 4 months old so perhaps it'll change as she gets older) as of right now is surprisingly quiet for a Koolie. My mum's Maltese dogs are WAY barkier than she is. Circus will bark maybe once or twice if she sees Lugia chewing something that she wants, and she'll yip once if we're doing a training session and she gets frustrated. I've left her at daycare too, and the workers always tell me that she loves to play with the other dogs but is quiet while doing so. The first week I had her she was *extremely* barky (mostly barking at my mum's little white dogs, they moved a bit too chaotically for her), and I'd discourage it by picking her up and holding her as a timeout, and putting her back down as soon as she settled. For the past month or so I've barely heard a peep out of her.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My two are incredibly vocal. Mia is the most vocal dog I've ever owned but Summer is close though. Summer is mostly excitement barking. At agility no dog can hold a candle to Summer's barking. It is non stop.

Mia barks all the time. Excited about something. A weird noise. She brought you a ball and you're not playing. The other dog is annoying her. The other dog is ignoring her. We're going on a car ride. She is kenneled. Other dog is getting trained and she is not. I came home and she's happy. The tennis ball is under the couch. There is a squirrel or mouse she sees. Etc

She also screams when excited.

Bristol the Shih Tzuish makes little to no noise. She only barks when she is playing. That is it, never at people, never at us, never at noise, never at anything.

Gage barks at other dogs, and if a stranger comes in our yard, or up to the fence if he is outside. Bits really about all.

Diesel barks at all.the.things inside and outside. Or on tv. Or at the neighbours. Or at the wind, the leaves, hell and gnat farts and he has to inform us lmao.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Moses barks if the doorbell goes, if he thinks he hears a noise coming from outside or if strange men enter the house. I think his lack of hearing worsens the barking, because he can't quite figure out where a specific noise is coming from... but we love him despite the delusions.

Cali is very vocal, and gets relatively annoying sometimes. Like Laurelin said about Mia: barks when she's excited, barks when she wants to play, barks when she's startled, whines when she wants something... just loud. However, if she gets too excited, she's completely silent and pins her ears back and wiggles her butt at about one hundred miles per hour. :p

ETA: I forgot to mention the screaming. If Moses goes to steal her food or a chew toy, she screams. A high pitched wailing noise that is nearly deafening. It's such a huge overreaction because she always steals his toys, and he lets her. But the other way around and it's the end of the world. :lol-sign:

My yorkie/pom is fairly quiet most the time, he only barks when he hears something [thankfully he's not a phantom barker]. Some times he takes it too far when someone is walking by while outside.

My chow/husky is fairly quiet, but will bark if he hears something [99.9% it's someone outside door]. So I feel he does a great job there of not over doing it and only alerting when needed. He however does LOVE to 'talk' to you, and it takes very little encouragement to get him started [woo woo]. He def took the husky there.

My chow...extremely quiet.

Lyzelle

Zander rarely alert barks. But if he does, then I know something is seriously wrong.

He'll whine to ask for things, like going out, food, etc. But mostly he just talks to talk. Every morning we have a full conversation about his night. When people come over he'll introduce himself, then go lay down. He'll yell at the Child for doing something he isn't supposed to, or come tell us about it.

So he's definitely pretty vocal. Mostly vocal. Not barky, though. Just talking.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I tend to forget that Wesley is not the norm until I'm around someone else's dog and it isn't moaning, grumbling, whining, crying (yes, distinction) and barking 24/7. I'm not sure he even stops making noise when he sleeps. So yeah, he likes to talk.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Not vocal at all really.

He barks when he plays roughly or plays chase with other dogs (lol he plays with his mouth open so he can bark freely)
other than that, he is quiet :) which is funny because you don't think of aussies as a very quiet breed.

He will also alert bark at a knock at the door (one, single "AROOF") but otherwise..nada.

He barked at the store one day at something and all the employees got quiet and were like "..Merlin?" haha it isn't a frequent sound.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
She's a Dachshund. Nuff said. :lol-sign:

For real though, she's very, very vocal. Not just barking (which she does a lot of) but grumbling, howling, whining, screeching, play growling, ect.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I call Juno a wookie because she makes all sorts of odd whiny noises when she wants something. Barking though? Hardly ever. Lucy gets her going if someone comes to the door, sometimes, but I don't think she'd b that way without Lucy.

Lucy is annoying as hell amd barks at everything. She makes us all want to throw her into a wall.

Happy is quiet, probably because she's deaf so nothing sets her off lol.

ACooper

Orson *normally* only barks at (what we consider) appropriate times. Someone at the door, hears something/someone in our yard (not on the sidewalk or neighbor's yard....only OUR property) when he's asked to speak, and sometimes rowdy playing.

We were very strict on this when he was young, and he had Phoebe as a role model and she was a very quiet well mannered girl.

Now whining is another story......blegh! He can get on a Diva pity party sometimes that'll drive you nuts! Luckily the older he's gotten, the farther between those parties have become *knock on wood*

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
Beau is a Beagle need I say more?

Takoda does this dying banshee scream all the time, but rarely barks. If she barks at something, she means business.

thehoundgirl

Buster.. well he's a hound. So that doesn't really need explaining. :lol-sign:

Rudy he's not really vocal but has the most annoying bark.. ever.

Dixie is pretty vocal. She gets excited about mostly everything. :)

Airn

Gwen whines like no dog I've ever heard. She barks when she wants outside (I taught her to. Chris hates it, I think it's helpful.) She will whine about EVERYTHING.

I WANT ATTENTION. LET ME WHINE AT YOU.

I WANT FOOD. LET'S WHINE

THERE'S A DOG OUTSIDE. MAYBE IF I WHINE YOU WILL LET ME OUT.

I'M BORED. I'M GOING TO WHINE SO YOU KNOW HOW BORED I AM.

For real. She's getting awful about begging, too. She will sit by me and whine. And whine. And get louder. And louder. And look at me... and the food... and back at me. While whining.

She groans a lot too. She scoffs at me. I would consider her fairly vocal, but she rarely barks. She barks more when we're outside. Occasionaly when she's frustrated. (I found the ferret! Oh god what do I do. Whiiiiiine.Whinewhinewhine..... BARK) :rofl1:

Red.Apricot

Elsie's very quiet for a terv... which means she's pretty loud still. She alert barks.

Zobby alert barks, but only at other dogs. He doesn't care about people.

k9krazee

Crossbone is quiet unless in play mode.

He doesn't alert to the door, he doesn't bark at passersby, he doesn't bark when other dogs are barking at him, etc.

He barks when there's food or toys involved and he REALLY wants something (frisbee, steak, ball, ball, frisbee, steak).

Members online

No members online now.