Agility training

DJEtzel

Managed to grab some clips today of our little session. Worked the dogs on serps and planned to do some threadles, pinwheels, and short sequences, but never ended up switching. This was pretty much Karma's first session since her spay and she rocked it! Abby was awesome as well and Twister was well Twister...

[youtube]a3TNzhjLr2Q[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3TNzhjLr2Q
Absolutely in love.

adojrts

I have been training agility with my mal Wiley since last November. I had previously done some agility and low level trialing with my aussieX Zoe, and then had started training my first toller Piper who passed away tragically last summer. I knew I was going to need some extra guidance with Wiley, so I started auditing Silvia Trkman's Agility Foundations course, which was so fabulous that I changed my auditing spot to a working spot.

It's been a bit of an up hill battle teaching him to be sensitive to the bar, and use his body smartly, he's sort of a go for it now think later kind of dog, but we have worked lots on thinking in drive, proofing bars (taking single jumps while I try and distract him with a toy or purposely poor handling), and he's finally finally started to pick his feet up and take responsibility for the bar. Lots and lots more work do but... it's coming...

Recently we completed Justine Davenport's (Canadian agility prodigy) online handling foundations class. I watched videos of her dog at the 2012 Canada Cup and I decided I needed to train with this girl, so when I heard about her online class I was thrilled. We've done a couple seminars with her in person on her Ontario tours, and she is great to work with. The first seminar I did with her Wiley had been doing agility for 4 months, and we were just starting to piece things together, and he was insane. It was the middle of January and it was his first time in a facility large enough for him to fully extend in sequence (our indoor options around me are cramped). He managed to get himself tangled in a PVC jump wing (with the 5" wing gap stuck around his waist - he didn't notice until he didn't fit in the tunnel) trying to turn tight. So funny, so typical Wiley.

Anyways, here is a video of a course we did last night (we being Panzerotti, our friend Janie and myself). It was a jumpers course from the recent Canada Cup tournament. A little bit messy in the handling but our teamwork is a work in progress. I hope to debut him in AAC this September. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5gqmGvkSgc
When you posted this, your dog's name and breed tweaked my old noggin but couldn't place it. Then my ah ha moment! Congrats on being part of Trkman's Foundation DVD with the lovely tight wraps. Proving that big dogs can turn :)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Did sends with a jump last night, a low one but a jump nonetheless. Realized after I was done that I should have been calling cik/cap but since I'm a terrible trainer I totally didn't. Anyway, he was doing great again. I'm hoping to be able to test it some more at my house this weekend with some greater distances.

Working on weaves and frustrating myself and the dog, I need to go back and read some more stuff and just slow the eff down. Meant to work on contacts last night but I forgot. Instead we threw a sheep toy up and down the hall for a half-hour and worked on impulse control with the toy, then crawled into bed to snuggle. Whoops. This is why my puppy is behind in everything.

More jump work is on the schedule for tonight and hopefully will remember to work on the contacts. =P

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
chelsey your Toller puppy is cute as a button and it looks like you are doing a fantastic job of bring him (her?) up. Can't wait to see more! What venue do/will you compete in?

chelsey

:) Thanks. She is a really nice pup I am having a blast with. She is outgoing for a toller and very stable and has probably one of the nicest working pedigrees in the breed in North America today, so a lot of that is her (I swear she came at 7 weeks understanding english, lol).

I will do agility for sure (AAC), probably CKC obedience but when she is older, I also hope to do basic field stuff with her also if I could get back and forth enough times to her breeder who is a really talented trainer with an awesome set up.

I can't wait until she grows up, she will be a nice little dog. Will be extra nice if she stays under 16" but I doubt that will happen. She will be on the midget end of the 22" class.

Thanks for the comments about Wiley. It was really an honour to get that email from Silvia and we got a free signed DVD :) His physicality impresses me... now of course it doesn't always mean he chooses to turn tight on cue just because he can, lol. It is coming though. I think as we mature as a team the speed/enthusiasm will balance control in sequences better.

Have them both in an agility seminar this weekend. Half the day is novice/beginner dogs and Slice will work what is appropriate (just wanted her out working in a busier setting - and help fill spots to help the organizer break even, lol), and the other half is advanced handling that I will be participating in with Wiley. Should be a fun weekend!

Sekah

The Monster.
:) Thanks. She is a really nice pup I am having a blast with. She is outgoing for a toller and very stable and has probably one of the nicest working pedigrees in the breed in North America today, so a lot of that is her (I swear she came at 7 weeks understanding english, lol).

I will do agility for sure (AAC), probably CKC obedience but when she is older, I also hope to do basic field stuff with her also if I could get back and forth enough times to her breeder who is a really talented trainer with an awesome set up.

I can't wait until she grows up, she will be a nice little dog. Will be extra nice if she stays under 16" but I doubt that will happen. She will be on the midget end of the 22" class.

Thanks for the comments about Wiley. It was really an honour to get that email from Silvia and we got a free signed DVD :) His physicality impresses me... now of course it doesn't always mean he chooses to turn tight on cue just because he can, lol. It is coming though. I think as we mature as a team the speed/enthusiasm will balance control in sequences better.

Have them both in an agility seminar this weekend. Half the day is novice/beginner dogs and Slice will work what is appropriate (just wanted her out working in a busier setting - and help fill spots to help the organizer break even, lol), and the other half is advanced handling that I will be participating in with Wiley. Should be a fun weekend!
What's her breeding? PM me if you don't feel like publicizing it. I have a friend in Toronto with a Toller of a similar age with a rockin' pedigree. I'm wondering if there's a chance they're related.

She's gonna be an amazing dog as she grows. You can tell. :3

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
What's her breeding? PM me if you don't feel like publicizing it. I have a friend in Toronto with a Toller of a similar age with a rockin' pedigree. I'm wondering if there's a chance they're related.

She's gonna be an amazing dog as she grows. You can tell. :3
I'd like to know, too - I have people asking me for Toller breeder references pretty regularly, and that puppy is absolutely amazing!

Sekah

The Monster.

chelsey

Sue is one of those fairy tale breeders who is knowledgeable, ethical, and does everything right. She is honest and passionate, successful at what she does, and exactly the kind of breeder that should be supported. Slice is my second pup from her. My first toller was Piper, who I lost tragically last year from water intoxication at the age of 2.5, she was my heart dog and incredibly special, so of course I went back to Sue when I was ready for another crazy redhead :)

Foxgrove was featured on Breeder of the Pack a few years ago. Josh is Slice's grandfather and Raisin is Slice's grandmother :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awyu_cZ5M24
[YOUTUBE]Awyu_cZ5M24[/YOUTUBE]

chelsey

Hah! Yep. Jake from Foxgrove. So neat to see his littermate! I know his "big sister" Nixxy pretty well. She's everything I want Cohen to be. Such a stellar dog, and Jake's shaping up pretty well too.
Awesome! I've seen some pictures of Jake, he's very cute and sounds like he is doing awesome. I met Nixxy's mom, Sassy, a couple years ago and she is a spitfire dog, I've heard great great things about the Sassy-Dux pups - was an epic litter for sure! My friend works for CARDA (avalanche rescue) out in BC and trains and knows Skeena quite well.

Toller_08

She's from Sue Kish at Foxgrove. Her pedigree is here: http://www.toller-l.org/tollerdata/pedigree.asp?ID=36553

Is Jake the name of the pup? She might have another littermate in Toronto.
I'm not experienced enough in Agility to have anything to actually add to this thread yet, but I just have to say I am a little envious that you have a Foxgrove puppy! I would love one of her dogs someday. Your puppy looks and sounds wonderful!

FG167

Aleron

OMG that Toller puppy is adorable! What an awesome little puppy!

Got a few clips of playing around in the yard with Roust, Whimsy and Savvy. Nothing too special, just some wraps and me trying to make things up as I go LOL This was Savvy's first try at all 20" jumps for a whole wrappy sequence. I think he'll jump 16" in AKC but...just in case!

[YOUTUBE]Q-csA03MkI4[/YOUTUBE]

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well gamblers is over and I'm very happy with my dogs. Mia was stressing ringside a bit but really surprised me on the floor. I decided to do a short run with her and then just run the gamble and cross the line. She did everything perfect but refused the tunnels lol. But other than that she did great. She was upbeat and happy and had fun. She stuck with me the whole time.

Summer started off whizzing past everything but still kept up beat and happy and stuck with me. Then she started figuring it out. Also refused tunnels. Lol. I think she stressed a bit while my friend held her. It sucks having to run dogs so close but I am interested to see if she runs better this afternoon since she's not going to have to wait with someone else. She did not jump on the judge's table though, which was what I was expecting.

Overall very happy with my dogs and their debut. Accomplished our goal of happy and staying with me. :). First time ever running on dirt and first time ever inside too. So all good.

I need slip leads. Bad. Especially since I only had one run between the two.

Members online