Rescue dogs can't live with unfixed dogs?

Brattina88

Hey, some people pull dogs from pounds for the PURPOSE of breeding :( There are dog owners who have intact dogs who are VERY irresponsible. I agree with Joce, not all dog owners are like Chaz Members! ;)

Pops2

true it's how lana lane got much of her foundation stock for the alapaha

but i seriously doubt some one involved w/showing dogs is going to breed to some pound puppy, yet most rescues consider them irresponsible owners because the dogs are intact (required by the registries).

elegy

overdogged
Hey, some people pull dogs from pounds for the PURPOSE of breeding :( There are dog owners who have intact dogs who are VERY irresponsible. I agree with Joce, not all dog owners are like Chaz Members! ;)
if the shelter/rescue is spaying/neutering the dogs they're placing, that's not going to happen.

joce

if the shelter/rescue is spaying/neutering the dogs they're placing, that's not going to happen.
No-but around here since our pound does not alter and people do get dogs to breed their,you have to be careful placing dogs.

Twice I have had potential adopters become upset the dog was fixed:rolleyes:They don't get it since they got fluffy unaltered from the pound and they just want some puppies.

Remember most times a person has an unaltered dog it is not a responsible owner. A lot of people don't care about altering and have no clue about overpopulation etc. I would look at a adopter that had unfixed dogs. But the ones I have would have been denied for many other reasons as well.

elegy

overdogged
I would look at a adopter that had unfixed dogs. But the ones I have would have been denied for many other reasons as well.
so in other words, you're denying them because they would not be good, responsible owners. not because they have intact dogs. which is how it should be.

joce

so in other words, you're denying them because they would not be good, responsible owners. not because they have intact dogs. which is how it should be.
yep.

I have also not run into anyone being denied for having an intact dog and that being the only reason. I foster and have an intact dog. I know of people who show and breed who have adopted through erie shores,probably not very often though.

I really do not think its even a bad policy though. Because again,most people are not us,their dogs are unfixed for many reasons but not usually good ones. But there should be exceptions for things.

Some rescues have all kinds of dumb rules. Must have fences,can not work full time,no kids, no big dogs etc etc. I think in the spectrum its a better reason than some other things!

I will say some of the dumb on paper requirements can be good for when you get someone who is in no way a good fit and will not give up or they threaten to sue etc. Its an easier way out for us. One lady let it slip they got rid of a high energy jack russel and they were trying to adopt an aussie mix! She then denied to everyone she had said that and then claimed it was a friends dog. So we denied her for something like not enough vet records. Its sad but you do have to cover yourself as we have heard of some places being sued over discrimination:eek:

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I had tried to get a rescue JRT for years but most places wouldn't even consider me because I had a house full of intact girls (even though I told them my retired male was neutered, so obviously I wasn't against it). I did find a few who were more realistic, though, and they approved me. Sadly, they never got in any compatible dogs ... but they were nice rescues!

GoingNowhere

Yep,because remember most pet owners are not chaz people and have their dog unaltered for a variety of reasons that may not make a lot of sense.
This.

I've spent several years volunteering with various rescues/shelters, and I think that the policy is a good one, given that the rescue is willing to make exceptions in certain cases. In my opinion, that question ought to be added to the application almost as a type of red flag - it shouldn't automatically disqualify an application, but the potential adoptee better have a good reason for it.

Most people with an unaltered dog don't have an intact dog because of dog sports or conformation. Most people with an unaltered dog aren't just waiting for their dog to stop growing, etc.

Most people with intact dogs either do it out of a pity for the dog's humility (AKA my dog won't want to be seen in public ever again!), a desire to breed the dog, or just an 'it's a waste of time and money' type attitude.

The rescue I used to work with once made an exception to this rule for a family that had an old retired police dog that was intact while in the force and was now 14 or 15 years old. That's the way I think it should be. Use the question as a little flag to tell the interviewer to dig a little deeper, but don't make it an end-all-be-all. Sure some rescue groups are extreme. But then, I can't completely blame them given the number of idiots they encounter on a daily basis. :(

Paige

Let it be
I think the best bet is to just keep looking at more rescues until you find one that fits your needs. I've gotten by renting at places that didn't want dogs, let alone big hairy intact male dogs. They met my dog and reconsidered. Even renting from an agency and not from the person directly. I am in no position to get another dog but I certainly wouldn't be offended if they denied me a dog because my dog is intact (well, he is neutered now so that's not an issue but he was intact for a good chunk of his life).I'd move on and go to another rescue/shelter.

Amstaffer

You'll find the right dog or they will find you ;)

I was torn between getting a rescue dog and a dog from a quality breeder after Athena passed. I wanted to go rescue but I also didn't want to have a dog that was spayed/neutered too early and I also wanted a puppy, which is nearly impossible combo. Well the "perfect' dog found me. I got Dotty before she was surrendered to a high kill shelter because a friend called me.

milos_mommy

I think in general, people with intact dogs (here at least) ARE irresponsible. Because they either think it's "cruel" to neuter or spay, or they might want to breed their bow-legged, heart murmuring, overweight cavalier or their 2 lbs chihuahua.

Here, if you have a "pet" that is not neutered, rescue won't adopt to you. But if you're a breeder with health tested dogs and titled dogs, they'll let you adopt.

mrose_s

BusterLove
We don't usually desex our dogs. Mum has never liked cutting bits out of her dogs, I get that. We arn't breeding, Buster got desexed because we already had 2 entire females. We were just going to manage Harry but he was too bloody determined to get to the girls when they were on heat, aftr 2 replaced doors we got him desexed because it was too hard and we didn't need hip dysplastic, bad tempered, ugly cattle dog/boxer/dane mixes.
We eventually got Sophie desexed after 2 mild uterine infections and we didn't want to waitfor pyo to hit.
Mac's on heat right now, I've been trying to convince my sister to desex her and I think she might soon. Mac is a simple little girl and she lives a charmed life and then every now and again she's kicked off the couch, the bed, the good blankets, made to wear nappies, can't be outside alone. Its not fair on her.

I don't think that all are iresponsable.

At least here many vets are push people to breed their dogs.

I know many people that don't want to breed but their vet tells them:

"you MUST breed him/her when she gets her second heat/ is one year old, or ELSE is going to die of cancer /sadness / to prevent any disease" :rolleyes:

And they don't care if the dog is a mutt, from a puppy mill or BYB.

Our Oso wasen't a pure breed GSD and the vet was asking us to add him in a "looking for girlfriend" list. :mad:

We don't have shelters our rescues, the only similar is a vet that picks feral dogs from streets and people give her unwanted litters to give then to adoption.

Last edited:

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
The rescues I worked with did have the question in the application, however, it was followed by a why and how the prospective adoptee prevents oops litters from happening. I don't think that's an unreasonable request from people who spend countless hours cleaning up the mess of irresponsible people. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't adopt out to people who show or have legitimate reasons not to alter their animal, they were just selective about the answers given.

I mean, we have very responsible owner here, probably the most responsible ones you can find, and we still have oops litters. But people here care and wouldn't sell their dogs in front of Walmart for $50 to the next best person.

i guess i am irresponsible as hell because i have 2 females that are intact and 2 rescues that are altered. if some rescue group that i was helping out had a problem with it, then the hell with them and they could find someone else to deal with the **** that comes with these dogs when i take them in.

Brattina88

I've filled out several applications for different things - pet related. I think the more details you can give them, and offer information about you personally, the better. For example, the question could be "Do you have any pets? If yes, are they spayed/neutered, and UTD on shots?" If you put NO, and nothing else, it would be easy to deny you right there.
If you call my vet, they will tell you per the computer records that Maddie is NOT UTD on shots :eek: but, that's because she's has had plenty, and I titer ;) so if I write that on the app, it just gives a little more insight so maybe thy could ask if I've titered. (you may have to contact you vet to release records prior anyway)
So, "No, I haven't spayed because I show, and AKC requires them to be intact..". Or whatever lol..... Okay.... Next question.... ;)

And I totally agree... If they don't agree, move on to another rescue ;)

Members online