Expecting another litter...

Dekka

Just try me..
The ones doing the demo in KY were all registered. Someone in the crowd asked.

The ones doing the demo in KY were all registered. Someone in the crowd asked.
Thats great for them, but not all departments are the same. And when it comes to finding a dog capable of doing police work, registration shouldnt matter. But some like to import dogs because they think their chances are higher in obtaining a dog able to do the work. Like Release the Hounds said, many police dogs can be from mixed breeding, or have disqualifying faults but that doesnt take away from their ability.

lizzybeth727

How old are the puppies now? Most assistance dog organizations (service, hearing, guide dogs, etc.) who take breeder donations want the dogs around 8 weeks old... not much older than that. Obviously it takes a tremendous amount of socialization to raise an assistance dog, and they want the most time they can have to do that. I don't know how old the puppies are we're talking about here, but just know that there probably is a time limit.

I could PM you the names of a few organizations I know who take breeder donations if you want them. Yes, health testing is extremely important, but probably more important is the temperment of the parents. Very few dogs have the correct temperment to be an assistance dog, and even then not every assistance dog could be a hearing dog, or a service dog, or a guide dog, etc.

The organization I work for gets all of our dogs from shelters. We go through extensive shelter evaluations to find a dog to pull from the shelter and bring into our program - usually we walk past about 300-500 dogs before finding 1 to bring back. Even then, about 40-50% of the dogs we get from shelters will not make it in our program, and we adopt them out ourselves (the shelters classify us as a rescue group). I don't know anything at all about your dogs, and I don't mean to sound terribly negative, but just so you know, not a whole lot of dogs can be assistance dogs. Good luck!

Dekka

Just try me..
Thats great for them, but not all departments are the same. And when it comes to finding a dog capable of doing police work, registration shouldnt matter. But some like to import dogs because they think their chances are higher in obtaining a dog able to do the work. Like Release the Hounds said, many police dogs can be from mixed breeding, or have disqualifying faults but that doesnt take away from their ability.
I never said or inferred that all dogs were. I was commenting on someone who said NONE of them were. All the ones I have met are. Thats just my experience. I never said ALL were everywhere, just that at least some in both Can and US are.

The ones I have talked too say they import because they have better 'stats' at getting what they want. Yes some wash out, but it seems like much fewer do, which is why they go with lines they know. The cost of buying even at super high prices is less than the cost of keeping and training. Thats why they worry about wash outs. This is what I have been told by the officers doing demos. I personally don't have any other experience than what they have told me.

Members online

No members online now.