The dog musing/vent thread

iriskai

Hopefully getting my parents' old freezer next week.. yay for raw storage!

Also continuing to source meat. Local butcher will order me cases of beef heart for 1.29 a lb and pork heart for .75 a lb!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Good dog news of the day: I took Cajun to our usual outdoor ice rink for some fetch over my lunch break. Unfortunately this city probably doesn't intend on people using these for dog exercise, so the rink does not have a gate and there is a good 8 or so feet of just open space between the boards. Normally this isn't an issue and Cajun has never even made an attempt to exit the rink, however today she was tempted... probably because there were kids playing on the playground behind us. I also normally have her drag her leash while we're there, just in case, but of course today was the first day I took her leash off because "it's never been an issue!"

Anyway, at one point I was a bad owner and was looking at my phone and out of the corner of my eye saw her trotting out of the rink with her tennis ball in her mouth :eek: After thinking all sorts of unpleasant words, I shouted for her to come and wouldn't you know it.... that dog whipped right around and came running back to me. And then promptly dropped her ball at my feet like this was all just part of the fetch routine.

Needless to say, I jackpotted the hell out of her with treats and then we pranced around together. I don't think the preschoolers and their teachers would have appreciated my ferocious Doberman coming at them :) And I am glad the ice rinks by my house have gates that shut!!

We haven't done a TON of work on recall but I've been pretty good about only using it when I know she's going to respond, and making it super fun for her when she does. Guess we're on the right track.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My two dogs had a knock down drag out fight this morning. I let them out to potty then started hearing a commotion and Summer had Mia pinned to the fence and both were making awful amounts of noise and snapping at each other. I am guessing Mia tackled Summer and Summer did not like it. Now they are growling whenever they get too close to each other.

Ugh they've always gotten along spectacularly so hopefully they cool it down.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I *finally* found a (high quality) boarding facility that accepts intact dogs! Whoot! I could not believe the amount of places that said, "Sorry, all dogs must be altered by six months of age." And it isn't as expensive as having a sitter come to the house.

Nice to know I have an option for the dogs should I need it. They said they'd be comfortable with Cynder's megaE, too.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Probably just destroyed a friendship for telling someone how I really felt about their dog's breeding and the ridiculous prices they're charging for unregistered pups.
Especially since Cobain was pretty well-bred and cheaper than what they're charging.

Oops.

:dunno:
Sometimes I find it really hard to keep my mouth shut. Especially after a few days of being stuck in the house, and having a few too many drinks.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
My dog's nose is amazing. She actually found an ibuprofen pill I dropped. This isn't trained, but I know she knew it had dropped on the floor by the way her ears went (I thought I had dropped it in the drawer the bottle was in)... so I just asked her where it went and she started sniffing the ground, and stopped when she found it. No other cue, except for stopping and holding her nose right in front of it.

She didn't even try to eat/lick it. Good job, Roxie. Good girl.

I think I am grossly under utilizing her abilities. I have got to get her into tracking or something when I get a car.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Got our first "is that dog going to eat me?" comment today.

It's always awesome to move to a new place and start over with the, "no, she's actually not a pit bull, and she's full body wagging because she LOVES people. The reason I'm holding her back is because she's a licker and most people don't like that, not because she's viscous".

Who in the hell seriously thinks a dog is going to eat them when they're full body wagging?

Lord, people. Canine body language ought to be like taught in health class or something lol.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Mia just fell and got stuck between the couch and the wall. I probably shouldn't be laughing at her but....
That's hilarious as long as she wasn't hurt lol.

Ok... vibes please. I'm competing in rally with Cricket today and tomorrow. I've never done rally before and I get really nervous going into something new. There's also a dog show and a few beezers showing today and tomorrow so I can't wait to watch them as well.

Anyways, Cricket and I have been practicing a LOT lately. She knows all the stuff we need to know for novice rally. Problem is we had a pretty sucky lesson last week. We were at a park and even though we found a secluded area of the park to work at she was so distracted that it was a fight just to get her focus back on me. Didn't help that squirrels were running around everywhere. Since then she has been a little off even in low distraction environments.

I'm not sure if she is "off" because her allergies are bothering her or if it's because I'm nervous about competing and putting too much pressure or what.

Our last practice was GREAT though. I used hot dog instead of regular training treats to encourage her more. Problem is we can't use treats in the ring so we'll just have to see how this goes. I'm going to practice her a little with hot dog before we go in the ring and hope that she stays interested.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
That's hilarious as long as she wasn't hurt lol.

Ok... vibes please. I'm competing in rally with Cricket today and tomorrow. I've never done rally before and I get really nervous going into something new. There's also a dog show and a few beezers showing today and tomorrow so I can't wait to watch them as well.

Anyways, Cricket and I have been practicing a LOT lately. She knows all the stuff we need to know for novice rally. Problem is we had a pretty sucky lesson last week. We were at a park and even though we found a secluded area of the park to work at she was so distracted that it was a fight just to get her focus back on me. Didn't help that squirrels were running around everywhere. Since then she has been a little off even in low distraction environments.

I'm not sure if she is "off" because her allergies are bothering her or if it's because I'm nervous about competing and putting too much pressure or what.

Our last practice was GREAT though. I used hot dog instead of regular training treats to encourage her more. Problem is we can't use treats in the ring so we'll just have to see how this goes. I'm going to practice her a little with hot dog before we go in the ring and hope that she stays interested.

The biggest issue will be your nerves, trust me. Nola did flawlessly at her trial, but I messed up a lot because I was so nervous and as a result we got points docked. Go for a run before hand, it'll help you both!

I used the highest value treats I had (hotdog, hamburger, ect) and did a mock run before we went in. It helped to keep her engaged and turned to "work" mode.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
The biggest issue will be your nerves, trust me. Nola did flawlessly at her trial, but I messed up a lot because I was so nervous and as a result we got points docked. Go for a run before hand, it'll help you both!

I used the highest value treats I had (hotdog, hamburger, ect) and did a mock run before we went in. It helped to keep her engaged and turned to "work" mode.
I'm going to try this as well. I'm also going to take some happy traveler for myself to hopefully keep me from being so nervous.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
What happens when you have too much alcohol after undergoing a morning of security training? This.
[YOUTUBE]Q2hASiIq5mc[/YOUTUBE]

Proof that my dog and my husband were made for each other. ROFL

Members online

No members online now.