Pick a state/area for me.

crazedACD

I'm wanting to move, far away, in the late Summer/Fall. I was planning to move to Arizona last year, but the school thing fell through and I wanted to finish it out here. So I am finishing that, but now I'm trying to settle on an area again.

I'd be looking to move into a home with a fenced yard, no shared walls preferably. Rent as cheap as possible, at least to help me make the initial transition. I will have plenty in savings but I want to be successful at this.

I originally chose Phoenix/Tucson, AZ for the climate...I loooove the desert. Not having to take care of a lawn, or rake leaves, or deal with too many ticks or mosquitos. Average rent was pretty low (not dirt cheap, but cheap), and there seems to be plenty of available housing. Jobs seemed plentiful on Craigslist and Indeed. Maybe not the best salaries in the country, but plenty of jobs. I don't know that it was overly dog-friendly though, there are some training facilities and dog activities but not a ton? But AZ is very far from me, and I'm not sure now if I want to go all the way there. I could be convinced, but even to get a plane out there to settle housing before I go, is quite a bit of money.

I've been looking at North Carolina. Greensboro or Winston-Salem area. Seems very dog friendly, lots of activities and training facilities. Rent is so dirt cheap. I'm not sure about the job market though...it makes me nervous, it's not like when you look at Phoenix jobs. The pay rate for some of the jobs listed is super low... for example, like a full out boarding kennel manager, is like $8-9/hour. That makes me really nervous. But on the plus side, it's an easy drive down there to scope it out, bring some stuff, get into housing.

I'm very unsettled on this and I'd love to hear some first hand experiences from people that live in these areas? I've also considered KY, TN, South Carolina..but I'm not sure. Would love any help, thank you!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Um, Mississippi. Because, me. :D I'm on the coast!

I do have a friend that lives in Kentucky and I could ask questions for you if you'd like.

I don't know what your situation is but one thing to think about is being away from everyone. I keep thinking about moving somewhere warmer like California, Arizona or Florida. I would be too far away from friends I know and my relatives though. I may end up moving someday. It's a difficult decision.

Members online

No members online now.