Payton

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I did think about tethering after the other night, yeah. It would prevent Payton from being able to wander off and bully Aug, and would leave Auggie in control of how close or far away he gets to Payton. I also thought about tethering him maybe not TO me but tethering him across the room, basically confining him to a little section of the room without using an ex-pen or a gate. I think I might try tethering and do some rotating... tether him to me for a while and then tether him elsewhere. Because right now I think if Payton were tethered to me Auggie would be all "=< =< I'll just stay over here then... away from you... mommy.... okay..."

It certainly seems to have less "but what if he tries fence fighting..." or "but what if Auggie has to pee..." downsides attached, at least in my mind, so I think it's worth trying for sure!

I kind of wish Auggie were the one instigating all this because I feel like I could deal with that so much more easily. I'm still trying to figure Payton out and now he's trying to change the rules too. Jerkface.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I like the tethering idea, when Josefina was a puppy & I was watching TV I would tether her on one side of me so the other dog(s) could approach on the other side if they didn't want to deal with her lol.

As she got older & "knew" the rules I would tie her a "chance" & if she started anything she would be tethered & she would lose free roaming for the evening. That is what worked for her.

Red Chrome

I don't think anyone meant harm the dogs. Or maybe I read correction differently. I just know Mia's was mostly ou of overstimulation so stopping her and revving her down helped a lot.

Anyways sucks you're having to deal with this. Definitely sounds like mom might be contributing to the problem unintentionally.
Thanks and yeah, I never meant to harm the dogs.

As I said, do what works best for you and your dogs. My personal dogs need something different as I'm sure others here do too.

Maybe get him in a reactive dog class or something of the sort?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I am interested in what you come up with as I also have teo dogs (females) that sometimes get into skirmishes, like you it came up all of the sudden in play the other day & now when I play fetch, Yumi (our other ddog) has to be on tie down so she doesnt pick on Josefina, who usually plays with Buddy while I play fetch with bear.

they get along the other part of the time, just during play they dont for some reason :/

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
We have gone a full week (working on day eight!) without Payton picking any fights with Auggie. Auggie has even played with him a bit the last two days - he did not want to play for several days.

Auggie being Auggie is probably part of why it has cooled off almost as fast as it heated up. Auggie does not want to fight with Payton and will not retaliate (yet.) He is doing a very good job of trying to diffuse what he might perceive as a situation. Obviously since he was on the receiving end and he is a dog he probably knows better than I do what "happened" so I am letting his body language tell me the story. If Auggie doesn't want to approach Payton, I believe him, and either send Payton away or put Payton in a down. If Auggie gives a calming signal, like turning his head away, I call Payton to me, both to reward Auggie for the calming signal and to reinforce to Payton "he asked you to leave him alone so leave him alone." When Payton gets to me he is rewarded for respecting the calming signal. Basically I've been re-reading my Behaviour Adjustment Training book and I'm working on both dogs playing some BAT.

I put Payton on Impulse Control Bootcamp. I already expect a sit or a down before most things anyway, but I stepped it back up. Sit before getting out of the crate, sit before going outside, sit before coming inside, sit before eating, if we're playing tug and I say "out" you immediately out and down. I didn't ask him for any of these behaviours, meaning I did not tell him "sit" before I open the crate door. I just waited until he offered it and only when he offered it did I open the crate door, et cetera. Also he must wait to be released. Most of this is normal routine for us, but if I'm in a hurry I might be a little lax on things. Bootcamp means me being in a hurry is no excuse and he MUST give me a sit and wait for release.

I also watch him like a hawk. At ANY indication that he MIGHT be starting to think of something I called him, broke his attention away from Auggie, gave him a "good boy!" when he got to me, and put him in a down to mellow out. If he looked like he was thinking about starting something and came to me before I got the chance to call him - which he did twice - I opened the cookie jar and shoveled a handful into his mouth. I can tell he is making good decisions to NOT react already and am never missing an opportunity to reward him for those good decisions.

If I can't watch him, I separate them.

We also do some round robin treating with everybody sitting/downing. I keep them apart but then slowly move them a bit closer and just reward in a circle. Payton is s-l-o-w-l-y learning to STAY PUT while I am working with Auggie as well (this has always been a problem, and often instead of working on it I just pop P in his crate instead of actually working on "stay on your bed.")

I don't think your situation sounds quite the same as ours. Payton only jumped Auggie during play one time, the other fights were not during play. You have one situation when you know it will happen, I had a couple of patterns but then the next time would totally break the pattern and leave me back at square one.
But it sounds like you need to work on Yumi's impulse control when Josefina is playing. I would not put her on a tie out and let her get frustrated watching you play with Josefina unless you are working with her (as opposed to just playing with Josefina), I would put her inside where she can't see and can't get herself worked up. Also in the experience of many people here bitch fights can be an entirely different beast than fights between males.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Also in the experience of many people here bitch fights can be an entirely different beast than fights between males.
Just wanted to reiterate this point.

From my experience, and this has been said before many times, when dogs fight, it's typically to make a point. When bitches fight, they're usually trying to kill each other.

Most of the time, that holds extremely true.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Just wanted to reiterate this point.

From my experience, and this has been said before many times, when dogs fight, it's typically to make a point. When bitches fight, they're usually trying to kill each other.

Most of the time, that holds extremely true.
^ This. Times 1,000.

Members online

No members online now.