Another person does not research the dog before adopting

bubbatd

Sad !!! But I'm thrilled that Ollie didn't work out with his 1st adoption !!! He's mine now !!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
To me that isn't nearly as bad an ad as usual. A LOT of dogs aren't good in multi dog or multi pet homes. But it's not a breed trait at all, I know BCs that live in homes with all sorts of other kinds of dogs and pets. So to say the owner should have researched the breed more makes no sense to me as most bcs are fine with other dogs.

It's really hard to know what exactly is going on here with the vague use of 'herding tendencies'. That means a lot of different things to different people. Many things ascribed to being 'herding' are really just a 'training' issue.

As far as not being compatible with another dog, that happens a lot regardless of breed. unfortunately in shelter environments and even outside it can take a while before you notice a problem. Many places you can't really test your dog with the new rescue together for very long at all. There may be no problem initially but after a week or two things can surface. It happens a lot that dogs react differently to a shelter environment than they do a home one. And sorry, the first dog was there first so it makes sense to me that you'd try to look for a better home for the newcomer. My priority will always be the dogs I have first. If something is not working out for them and putting them in danger or severely stressing them out and it's obvious it's not going to work then I'd have to find a new home for the new dog.

I do wonder why the rescue isn't taking the dog back though... That's really the only thing that stands out to me in that ad. So could it be an example of wrong breed? Possibly, but it could just very well be wrong dog. Jmo

Last edited:

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

It's really hard to know what exactly is going on here with the vague use of 'herding tendencies'. That means a lot of different things to different people. Many things ascribed to being 'herding' is really just a 'training' issue.
^^ Couldn't have said it better myself ...:thumbsupsmileyanim:

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I don't see that as too bad. Borders can be lovely pets and fit into a home perfectly. Others are more sharp and driven. There is no way of knowing what you will get just by researching the breed.

JoeLacy

I don't see that as too bad. Borders can be lovely pets and fit into a home perfectly. Others are more sharp and driven. There is no way of knowing what you will get just by researching the breed.
I found this to be very true. My Border is a great house dog but then I picked one that wasn't obsessively driven. There are tendencies in breeds of course but I also found extremely wide variances in individual personalities in Border Collies. Personally, I'm not convinced a blanket statement for "all" BC's apply.

Sorry to see the dog on CL though, rescue is a better option.

DanL

A friend has 2 BC's from the same litter, and they are totally different. Both are great herders but personality wise they are night and day. One is scared of any loud noises and will be hanging from the roof of her dog house in a thunderstorm while the other is not concerned at all. Both are outdoor working dogs, kept in large kennels until it's time to do their job.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I really don't think that's too bad *shrugs*

We've had Rory for almost 2 months, and it's been pretty difficult thus far to get him and the chis to get along. We still have to constantly supervise his interations with Tucker, and things can get really frustrating at times. Rory gets along great with all dogs, but there are times when he can become too rough with the chis and we have to direct his attention elsewhere (Buster Cube, frisbee session, ball, etc).

But yeah, I don't see what's wrong with that Craigslist add... it seems like they're trying to find the best possible home for their dog.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I do wonder why the rescue isn't taking the dog back though... That's really the only thing that stands out to me in that ad.
That was my first thought.
I don't know, the ad doesn't seem too bad to me either, no matter the breed, there is going to be great variances in dog behaviors. Also, not too sure about this rescue, but most rescues will make sure that the potential new owner is educated about the breed that they are taking. I mean, the dogs in the rescue have already been through so much, they want to make sure that their new home is permanent. I wonder if the people who posted the ad have even thought to contact the rescue, or if they think they have too much pride to admit to them that they can't keep the dog. Also wondering how long they have had the dog, I mean if it was only a short period I think they are giving up way too quickly.

JoeLacy

I met a trainer the other day that had a rescue. She had a potential adopter looking at one of her dogs. She said, she didn't think this dog was right for the owner. She told me the story, the dog was a puppy, the owner lived on the 3rd floor and worked long hours. Nothing about that sounded like a good fit to any of us other than the person who was looking at the puppy. I think many Rescues do look harder for suitable homes for the dogs.

My rescue for Jax required a home visit and an application and interview process that was very long. I paid a large adoption fee not a small rehoming fee. They wanted to know, I had the financial means to provide a good home for "their" dog and that I had experience with such a breed type. Jax was my first Border, but having an Aussie was close enough. I think rescues scrutinize more thoroughly and in many cases find better homes for the dogs.

Members online

No members online now.