At home workouts

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I am completely out of shape. I'm happy with my weight (if I lost 10 pounds I'd also be happy with my weight), I just have NO muscle, NO flexibility, and very little endurance (in terms of jogging, anyway - I can walk or ride a bike forever).

Now that I'm trying to be as active as I can be during my "down time" in order to keep myself busy, I am very interested in a workout regime I can do at home. I figured if I'm trying to keep myself busy, I may as well be productive while I do it. LOL I don't have time for a gym membership, and I don't have time to take a fitness class. When I have time to be home I need to be home, or the poor dogs will really never get any attention.

Now that I found that awesome walking trail by my apartment, I plan to take the dogs there at least three times a week and walk for an hour (or two, if I have the time), as long as the weather is agreeable. I may throw on a weighted back pack to make it a bit more of a challenge for me (and make me super glad I'm not a student anymore LOL).

But, more often than not, I'm getting home extremely late, or I've been on my feet for 10 hours at work and don't feel like doing anything super strenuous when I get home. For days like those, I'd like to just do something "simple"...nothing that will give me an insane cardio work out, but something that will still benefit me in some way.

Any ideas? Good websites? Videos? I do have a Kinect, so maybe even a video game?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator

*blackrose

Thanks so much for the links!

As much as I am going to have to beat myself in the butt to get myself to actually work out, I really, really need to. I walked for an hour tonight (probably....3 miles total, maybe, since I normally walk 2 miles in 40 minutes?) and it felt so good to just get MOVING again.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I've talked about it before, but in my recent transformation, I relied heavily on Beach Body's "10 Minute Trainer". I dropped over 80 pounds doing that exclusively for 6 months (along with a better diet).

That's really the key. You need to eat right and get active. Eat better, exercise more. Who knew? :dunno:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I do the insanity workouts.
Frankly, it works well for what it is. It sure as hell isn't pleasant but it does what it says it will.. gets you SWEATING and gets your body moving/HURTING.. all for 50 minutes a day.

I threw up a few times.
Had to pause the workouts more time than I can count to pant on the floor.

At the end of the day.. 80% of it is diet.
the other 20% is finding the time to exercise. I don't do insanity every day anymore, but I do make an effort if I don't, to do SOMETHING to get my heart rate up (jog, walk, swim, etc..)

You need to be reasonably fit for insanity.. It's a lot of jumping and endurance and honestly, the first 2 weeks it's very likely you will be sore everyday lol

that said, I loved the videos when my BF is away because I do them after dinner and then I drag myself in the shower and PASS OUT :rofl1: puts me to bed like a drunk baby

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
My job with the horses now is all the workout I need btw cleaning stalls & riding. But when I go home for a few months I have to work out. Nothing replaces the physical job I have but it keep me in good enough shape.

I run a mile every day
I do leg lifts & crunches every day
I have one of those stretchy band thingies (don't know what they are called lol), the toughest resistance you can get & I do five minutes of aerobic & strength training work with it. I'm also thinking of getting a weighted vest

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
At the end of the day.. 80% of it is diet.
This bears repeating. And by "diet" we mean what, how and when you eat, not "I'm on the Atkins/South Beach/Liquid/Latest fad diet".

There was a great GIF on theBerry recently I'll post here:

oh, you can out exercise diet :) I did all thru college and for quite a while after. Then I got to a point where I didn't want to do that anymore. I averaged close to 10K calories per day and that didn't count all the liquid carbs we'd drink :), I don't remember all the specifics, but I did diet analysis for a couple classes and lets say I was in the "danger" zone for almost everything

I was about 6% body fat and the best shape of my life, but my whole life was activity all the time. When I wasn't in class anyway, and I skipped half of those.

Juicy Lucy hamburgers on the way to class for breakfast were the norm :)

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
oh, you can out exercise diet :) I did all thru college and for quite a while after. Then I got to a point where I didn't want to do that anymore. I averaged close to 10K calories per day and that didn't count all the liquid carbs we'd drink :), I don't remember all the specifics, but I did diet analysis for a couple classes and lets say I was in the "danger" zone for almost everything

I was about 6% body fat and the best shape of my life, but my whole life was activity all the time. When I wasn't in class anyway, and I skipped half of those.

Juicy Lucy hamburgers on the way to class for breakfast were the norm :)
Forgot to include "Your Mileage May Vary" :D

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Hamburgers for breakfast is totally how some of the mega lifters I know eat. These are the same people who are always like "Why did you only eat TWO eggs for breakfast?!"

BUT eating a "good" diet (whatever that means for you) won't get you in shape, and OP did say she was happy with her weight, just wanted to get in shape. => The only thing that will do that is moving your body!

*blackrose

Yup, I really am happy with my weight. I've gained ten pounds over the past two years, but haven't gained anymore (I'm 5' 6.5" and 143lbs). Still wear the same size pants/shirts/what have you that I did when I was 133lbs and Mike actually likes me at the size I'm at because now, according to him, I have good curves versus no curves. LOL I like the size I am, too. I've always waffled between 130-140lbs.

If anything, I DON'T want to loose weight, or at least not dip down past 135lbs. I need to still fit into my wedding dress. o_O

But I am SO out of shape. Have no muscle besides what I need to wrestle an 80lb dog to the floor to trim nails or lift a 35 pound container of cat litter and carry it across the clinic. And endurance? Forget endurance. I can barely jog for two minutes. LOL I just ran through one routine of that "basic workout routine" Beanie posted and HOLY HELL. My thighs and arms hate me right now. And I didn't even do real push ups. :rofl1:

I'm going to walk for an hour (~3miles) every other day (my days where I'm not at work for 11 hours...) and then on the off days I'm going to do my "work out" routine. Which for now will consist of the workout Beanie posted, plus crunches. Because that apparently kicks my butt. Once it stops kicking my butt I'll move on to other things.

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We do about 45 minutes generally and most is stuff you can do without any equipment. Or you could buy some dumbbells and be even better.

We do squats, squat jumps, planks, hand walk outs, dumbbell rows, step ups, push ups.... and then stuff I don't know what to call them. The guys are more in shape and do harder stuff like burpees and one arm push ups and other stuff.

Usually about 6 of those various things for about 12 reps and go through the set 2x and then do a .25 mile sprint or maybe do 3 minutes of 45 seconds jogging then 15 seconds sprinting. Then repeat and repeat the end sprint.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Ack, sorry, I should have warned you the strength training workout is some serious stuff! Don't worry - there are other people who struggle to get through just one set. Keep it up and you'll be able to rock that ($*@ out in no time.
Then on to the advanced body weight workout!

LOL burpees.
Terrible name for a workout.
I actually find them kinda fun... but we all know I'm crazy.

Here's some home crossfit WODs too:
http://laxcrossfit.com/home-wods/

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh I can't do the burpees at all! He's easier on me and the other girl since we're a little more out of shape. :p

Members online

No members online now.