Food Rant

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Why cant I feed less than the recommended amount *sigh* I would love to have a bag of food last me more than a month...

Everyone always says that with better food you will feed less BUT oh no not Chloe see eats more than the recommended amount, If I gave her any less she would be nothing but skin and bones...

*sigh*

showpug

Is she on Evo? I can't keep weight on my dogs with Evo to save my life. I love the food, but they have to eat a lot to maintain their weight....:(

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Is she on Evo? I can't keep weight on my dogs with Evo to save my life. I love the food, but they have to eat a lot to maintain their weight....:(
Yep she's on EVO RM (has been for awhile now) and the small bags will last 2 weeks and the slightly bigger bags will last almost a month...

Dekka

Just try me..
It must be an individ dog thing. My guys are way way less than the recommended serving size on EVO (except sizzle who eats just over the recommended amount) , just bought a bag of Orijin, which they do well on, but Sizzle needs to eat 2X as much of it to keep weight on.

Have you had your dog checked for worms? EVO is very high in calories, I know of so many ppl who had to stop feeding it as the dogs got really fat (duh feed less of it, but they felt quilty)

I think it depends on the dog. I am feeding Timberwolf Organics (wild n natural variety) and LOVE it. A bag of food lasts me (no kidding) almost two months with three medium sized dogs. One weight 30 lbs one, 37lbs, and one 40-45lbs. I do mix in a little canned, but I use one can of food every two days. Half a can is split up between three dogs. I haven't had any trouble keeping weight on mine. They are all really easy keepers though.

Some dogs will need more or less food to keep weight on. My 37lb young girl eats double what the 40-45 lb girl does. She just needs a little more to maintain weight. Some dogs process certain foods differently. with the food I was feeding before I was feeding more, but also having trouble keeping weight on my youngest dog. I would just switch around until you find something that works for Chloe.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
It must be an individ dog thing. My guys are way way less than the recommended serving size on EVO (except sizzle who eats just over the recommended amount) , just bought a bag of Orijin, which they do well on, but Sizzle needs to eat 2X as much of it to keep weight on.

Have you had your dog checked for worms? EVO is very high in calories, I know of so many ppl who had to stop feeding it as the dogs got really fat (duh feed less of it, but they felt quilty)
She was checked a few months ago... and Chloe is nowhere hear fat, like I mentioned in another thread I had someone ask me if I fed her everyday

BostonBanker

Chloe must just have the metabolism we all wish for! A friend of mine had started adding just a little EVO to her dogs' food to up the protein levels, and had to pull them off it because they were all getting far too heavy, even her hard-to-keep-weight-on dog.

Meg's weight was okay on it; she's an easy keeper on anything, so I'm used to feeding her very little, but she just didn't seem to thrive on the EVO. I just started using Orijen as our occasional kibble (she's getting mostly raw), but I haven't used it long enough to have an opinion.

showpug

Chloe must just have the metabolism we all wish for! A friend of mine had started adding just a little EVO to her dogs' food to up the protein levels, and had to pull them off it because they were all getting far too heavy, even her hard-to-keep-weight-on dog.

Meg's weight was okay on it; she's an easy keeper on anything, so I'm used to feeding her very little, but she just didn't seem to thrive on the EVO. I just started using Orijen as our occasional kibble (she's getting mostly raw), but I haven't used it long enough to have an opinion.
I think if you add EVO to a grain based kibble even in small amounts you will get weight gain. The high fat and protein mixed with the carbs in tradition kibbles will put weight on. When you take the carbs out of the mix and feed EVO as the sole diet you get weight loss. I think that is why your friend was probably having those results.

BostonBanker

I think if you add EVO to a grain based kibble even in small amounts you will get weight gain. The high fat and protein mixed with the carbs in tradition kibbles will put weight on. When you take the carbs out of the mix and feed EVO as the sole diet you get weight loss. I think that is why your friend was probably having those results.
Perhaps. She was having allergy problems with one dog, so she switched them to Cal Nat to try and sort it out; then they all started to look pretty "ugh", so she had added some Evo. Even so...calories are calories, right? I'm not sure I get how combining it with a carb food would increase the weight that much. I'm not saying I don't believe you ;) , just that I don't understand it.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Yeah no kidding LOL...

Its not that I mind that she eats more than the approx. amount, I just wish that I didnt have to buy it all the time LOL...because I *think* I remember a few people saying that they have more than one dog, and a bag still last them a month or more...I have ONE 55+ pound dog and a bag barely last me a month... granted its the middle sized bag, but still....

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Jess I also every other day add rice to the EVO.
And mine are not thin by any means. I also mix pumpkin or veggies in it. They enjoy the changes. If you cook any meat add the juices from it to the rice and mix it in and watch her go nuts.

Members online

No members online now.