My Sheltie has Arthritis and Alzheimers

Max went to the vet for what we thought was a urinary tract infection. He was peeing in the house which he never really did before. Then in the past couple months or so he really seemed to forget things he knew. He would point to go outside, but at the wrong side of the door, the hinged part. He would forget commands he always knew. He goes to the wrong rooms when we call him. He forgets where his food is and doesn't eat much. He doesn't bark or go to the window when someone comes in. Even my dad who's car he doesn't like and he always barks at dad when he comes in, he just lays there now. Somedays he will just walk in circles around the table. Sometimes he will lay for a long time with his nose in the corner. Some days are worse then others. Sometimes he just seems to have no energy and sometimes he is almost normal.

Anyways, the vet did bloodwork. He has elevated white blood cell count, elevated liver enzymes, arthritis in his back legs and a cognative disorder, alzheimers. He also said he believes Max to be 10-12 and not 8 or 9 as we thought. There really isn't a ton we can do for him. Drugs are kind of pointless on such an older dog, I don't think you can "cure" alzheimers.

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions? Do you have dogs with alzheimers? How long do they usually make it? What is the right thing to do?

Hey thanks, I appreciate it. I will see if I can contact them and find out what they did for their dog. Anyone else ever have a dog with a cognative disorder?

bubbatd

My Golden IB acted that way , but was having seizures too ....hers was a brain tumor . I'm so sorry for you all....it's so sad .

otch1

Sounds familiar... these were my shelties issues, but cancer was also an issue and he was 15. Deprenyl would certainly be worth a try for cognitive disorder, as well as a very high quality raw diet, w/ 2 tb. cottage cheese for liver issues, vitamin c, 500 mg. MSM, 1000 mg glucosamine and daily SAM-e tab for arthritis and walking him. (You have keep him active, wrether he feels like it or not. Make him use those joints and use his brain!) This got my boy thru another 2 years past the time he was diagnosed to have to be put down. He was active, alert and had a good quality of life for those last 2 years. And when he was ready, he went quickly.

Thank you. That is helpful I appreciate it. I feel so bad. It's like he just looks at us with blank eyes. He doesn't seem to know who we are or even care anymore. He started shaking today too. His eye twitched a little and his head shook slightly. He is just like my grandpa was when he had a stroke, then had dymentia (sp?) and then he died within a few months. Oh god this is so sad, my poor little old man.

Groch

Gadget Hound
I feel so sorry for you and Max. Please follow Joce's link above as there are effective treatments for some dogs that have symptoms similar to Max's.

Whatever happens you must remember the great three years you have had with Max and what a fine life you have given your little old man. Remember how happy he was to find your forever home and the good times.

You did a great thing adopting Max and I am sure that he values every day you spend together. Prayers to you and Max.

He is having seizures now. Just had two in the past 30 minutes. We are calling the emergency vet right now to see if we wait out the seizures until morning or if it is best to have him PTS. He has no idea what to do or who we are. He is just lifeless and pale. He walks in circles...

He has a brain tumor most likely. We just took him in and given his age and the options to extend his life by 3 - 6 months, a year with surgery if many tests determine that surgery might help... we had him euthanized. The vet was the nicest woman and she thought that would be the best option. He is so old, and it isn't fair to put him through all those tests and steroids and anesthesia if he needed surgery, when the quality of life isn't even there. Max didn't even know us anymore, he didn't know who Max was. I think we did the best thing for him.

Bye Maxie.

Groch

Gadget Hound
I am so sorry. I am sure you did the absolute right thing. You gave Max a wonderful new life with a loving home and the best food and medical care and made the best choice when he needed you to.

You gave each other great friendship, love and joy in your time together.

Be strong.

George

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
so sorry for you all--it sounds as if it was the best decision to be made--and I bet Max would be grateful to you for being strong enough to make that decision for him.

bubbatd

You did the right thing .... I held out too long with my IB....hoping against hope . It wasn't fair to her , to us and to her son Bubba. Bless your dear Max...RIP .

Members online