Is there anything wrong with feeding Taste of the Wild?

noludoru

Bored Now.
I wasn't aware they had so many issues in the past. I feed TOTW and have for a few years now. It's affordable and Middie does really well on it.

Taqroy

Maybe I don't read the right threads but I've never felt like the kibble bashing is that bad (aside from brands like Science Diet, Purina, Beneful, etc). When I first joined I fed Purina, switched to ToTW after about six months, and switched to raw about six months ago.

I never had a problem with my dogs on ToTW but the recalls were what forced me over to raw. They were doing fine on it (except kibble gives Murphy death breath ugh) and if there hadn't been the recalls I probably wouldn't have ever switched.

I did just realize though - we had a really hard time keeping weight on Tipper with kibble. Then when we switched to raw she gained too much weight and just recently when we switched back to kibble for a month we couldn't get her skinny again. I have no idea if the food switch coincided with her metabolism changing naturally or if the food switch caused it. Now I'm curious though.

I look through these forums, and everyone bashes kibble. I feed all of my dogs TOTW, and they all get all the table scraps they can handle, most of which is a steak every few days and such. Is it that important to feed them RAW all of the time, or is that a status thing. When my Rottie had Cancer and wouldn't eat much, he got all the steak he could eat until the day he died, but I can't justify spending $10 day on 5 dogs each, when I don't spend that on myself. All 5 of them do get a 1/4 lb. uncooked burger once a week as a treat, but other than that, they get their TOTW, and the get all of the table scraps.

Hello tarmjr,
Kibble is the most inferior to feed. First is a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet. Next is frozen raw, freeze dried raw, grain-free low starch wet food and then kibble

And yes, a species-appropriate raw meat diet is that important... apparently we have to keep reminding the AVMA, AAHA and about 90% of vets out there about that.

You don't have to spend $10/day/dog... I'll start another thread on what comes down to under $3/day that saved my Husky's life.

Remember:
No annual vaccinations + feeding a species-appropriate diet = Healthiest Cats/Dogs = No vet visits = Unhappy Vets, AVMA & AAHA = Happiest Cats/Dogs = Happiest Pet Parents!
Bon chance, Roger Biduk

Barb04

Super Moderator
I had switched to Earthborn and so did my friend. All of our dogs started to get some kind of allergic reaction to Earthborn (mine excessive licking, hers had ear infections. She has finally gone back to TOTW and all is good again. I am using Canidae, and 4Health.

Those who feed or have fed TOTW do you have dogs with tear staining?
None here, just the very hard time keeping weight on Enda, and then her getting violently ill (throwing up, pure water poo, etc) and the only thing that stopped it was taking her off that kibble and putting her on another, I first did a small "test bag" of another kibble then put her back on the TotW slowly because I had JUST bought and opened the 30lb bag, she went back to the runs and I permanently switched her to something else (mostly varieties Fromm).

I didn't, gage did very well on it, I like many switched at the diamond thing, now we feed Acana grain free and honestly I have less issues with tear staining on Bristol then when she was on raw.

Those who feed or have fed TOTW do you have dogs with tear staining?
My Dogo has bad tear staining. It was bad on TOTW not to mention loose stool and vomiting. But for what it worth, he had bad staining on Orijen and Acana too.

My Greyhounds about ate me out of house and home on TOTW. They couldn't keep on weight and I had to feed so much, it cost me more to feed than more expensive foods.

Then my Doberman bloated on TOTW and I was done with it.

But every dog is different. To the OP, if it works for your dogs, fits your budget, feed it and don't let anyone make you feel bad. You do what works for your dogs. :) I have fed foods most people on online message board think are pure garbage, but my dogs do fantastic on them and when all else fails, I go back to them.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I do have to agree that you have to feed your dogs what is best for them.

I have neighbors that feed dog chow and the dogs are living long healthy lives. I could never suggest feeding them a more expensive food when they are doing so well on the dog chow.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
We sell a lot of TOTW at my work. Most dogs I know seem to do really, really well on it. My own eat it for training treats, puzzle toys, and sometimes when I forget to thaw them something.

I like it because it's a price I can sell to people who are feeding junk food, and most of them see pretty quick improvement. We carry Fromm as well but only the four star line, and sometimes the cost makes people :yikes:. lol can't say I blame them.

In general, I give it the thumbs up for being an affordable, healthy option.

Harlow had some UTI issues on TOTW, but that is my only complaint.
Whoa, interesting, Enda had some urinary problems for a while, and it was peak around the time she was on TotW, I've taken her off cranberry and she's still doing better now, she had "puppy vaginitis" and I noticed it would come back after she came out of season, but I've yet to notice it again this time, Hmm...

I do have to agree that you have to feed your dogs what is best for them.

I have neighbors that feed dog chow and the dogs are living long healthy lives. I could never suggest feeding them a more expensive food when they are doing so well on the dog chow.
Hello Barbo4,

If the dog chow you're referring to is Purina Dog Chow, those dogs are going to have very serious problems, just a matter of time...

The ingredients in this toxic mess are the perfect examples of what must be avoided... looking at Puppy Chow, there's only one meat ingredient listed as "beef" as the ninth ingredient... compare that to the best kibble, Orijen Puppy, which has ten fish/meat ingredients and not one of the ingredients listed below in Dog Chow...

They actually add dangerous color to the food to make it look better along with propylene glycol which is used in tobacco, anti-freeze, smoke machines, aircraft de-icing fluids, hydraulic presses, toothpaste, and cosmetics, as a solvent in acrylics, stains, inks and dyes, and in cellophane and brake fluid.

That's just for starters. All these other ingredients in this stuff are brutal for cats/dogs: Whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, whole grain wheat, animal fat, soybean meal, brewers rice, meat and bone meal, animal digest, sugar, fish oil, salt, dried yeast, phosphoric acid, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2 and menadione sodium bisulfite complex.

So pet owners can feed inexpensive, dangerous foods now and then pay big money to vets later, along with the pain and suffering that comes with it.

You're absolutely right saying "I do have to agree that you have to feed your dogs what is best for them" but this stuff is at the opposite end.

Products form Purina, Pedigree and Ol' Roy are among the best sellers because they're so cheap and they are among the three brands of pet foods that are the most dangerous for cats/dogs.
Best regards, Roger Biduk

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Whoa, interesting, Enda had some urinary problems for a while, and it was peak around the time she was on TotW, I've taken her off cranberry and she's still doing better now, she had "puppy vaginitis" and I noticed it would come back after she came out of season, but I've yet to notice it again this time, Hmm...
I mean, it MAY have been a coincidence, because Boxer's are prone to UTI's anyways.. But, she hasn't had any other problems, except with one other food that I'm aware of. The vet said she thought it was based on the protein levels of TOTW. :shrugs: May or may not hold weight, but like I said, we haven't had any problems since, so..

Barb04

Super Moderator
Roger Biduk, I do agree that I personally wouldn't feed dog chow, but my neighbor does. Her dogs (boxer mixes) have lived till 14 and 15 years old with no health problems except old age. There is no way she would listen to you or a nutritionist when she has had nothing but the best results using it.

As we both agree, it's a personal choice what you want to feed your pets.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Bumping this up as I just bought a bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine (with roasted Lamb). it was basically the only kibble I could find that was grain free and didn't have some sort of chicken in it.

Beezer can't do Chicken and now I'm thinking he's developed an allergy to grain, hence trying a new food. I'm a little concerned about how long this bag is going to last at $50 a pop if I'm feeding two dogs 3 cups each a day but I'm hoping it will clear up the allergy issues Beezer is having.

I am using up the last of our old food and adding a little of TOTW in. Belle gobbled it down like it was going out of style... but she also eats poop so I don't put much stock in her sense of taste lol. Beezer was a little more conservative about eating it but he seemed to like it well enough.

I'm hoping they do well on it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Bumping this up as I just bought a bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine (with roasted Lamb). it was basically the only kibble I could find that was grain free and didn't have some sort of chicken in it.

Beezer can't do Chicken and now I'm thinking he's developed an allergy to grain, hence trying a new food. I'm a little concerned about how long this bag is going to last at $50 a pop if I'm feeding two dogs 3 cups each a day but I'm hoping it will clear up the allergy issues Beezer is having.

I am using up the last of our old food and adding a little of TOTW in. Belle gobbled it down like it was going out of style... but she also eats poop so I don't put much stock in her sense of taste lol. Beezer was a little more conservative about eating it but he seemed to like it well enough.

I'm hoping they do well on it.
You shouldn't have to feed them 3 cups each a day on the TOTW, unless they're a lot bigger than I think :p

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Oh... because on the back of the bag it says 60-80 lbs 3- 3 1/2 cups a day
My general rule of thumb.. whatever the bag is telling you, give half of that. It's usually double what they really need. I mean, adjust accordingly, keep an eye on body condition, but usually for regular medium sized dogs with regular activity levels..2 1/2 is about the average.

TOTW is generally one of the lower calorie per cups grain free foods (not sure about hte lamb specifically). Some dogs do need near the same amount as they do on grain inclusive but others dont.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My general rule of thumb.. whatever the bag is telling you, give half of that. It's usually double what they really need. I mean, adjust accordingly, keep an eye on body condition, but usually for regular medium sized dogs with regular activity levels..2 1/2 is about the average.
TOTW is generally one of the lower calorie per cups grain free foods (not sure about hte lamb specifically). Some dogs do need near the same amount as they do on grain inclusive but others dont.
Hmmm interesting. Well they both could stand to lose a little weight so I'm going to cut back on the serving amount and see what happens. Beezer is pretty active... Belle is against all activity unless it involves a critter lol otherwise she just wants to sleep on he couch. So maybe I'll cut it down to two cups and just watch them.

Members online

No members online now.