Smooth and Rough Collies?

Aleron

I think you'd have about the same luck finding a working sheltie breeder as a working collie breeder. Both are primarily show and sport dogs now, not 'real' working dogs. I would say it would be easier to find a performance sheltie than a performance collie but it's probably due to the people I know and many of them competing with shelties.
No there are by far more performance Sheltie breeders than performance Collie breeders. If one wants a performance bred Sheltie, they would have a choice of many breeders and many litters. If one wants a performance bred Collie, it can feel like looking for a needle in a haystack and your choices are going to be pretty limited. That isn't to say that Collies from non-performance breeders won't be able to do performance. My Collie was up for and good at every sport I tried with him and he was from a pet breeder.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I guess it depends on how you define "working lines". To me it's is a pretty specific thing. It's doesn't refer to just one person's line or breeding program but to a background and pedigree of dogs selectively bred for the purpose of work. It's a segment of the breed's population being bred for the purpose of work. Plenty of people with show line BCs herd with them but that doesn't make them working line BCs, even if they have relatives who herd as well.

I did use to hear Collie people refer to Farm type Collies, which were AKC Collies that were much like the Corgi "thowbacks" (leggier, short backed Corgis from show lines). The person who initially peeked my interest in the breed had show bred Collies but her first Collie was a Farm type Collie from a pet breeder. I never knew the dog but from the pictures, I'd say he would be similar type to this dog.

That's a cool looking dog. I <3 the Sunnybank dogs. :)

I guess I always thought of her lines as working because they all work on a sheep farm, they're bred to work there, and they're all from the same line, but it makes sense to define it as more a segment of the population.

momto8

Our Sierra is a rough collie, I love her temperament! She is so sweet and loving, she is so loyal but a very protective dog. She gets along great with anyone and anything she meets. I would not say she has high prey drive, but she loves a fun game of chase with the other dogs! The only downside I would say is her barking LOL! She is a huge barker and loves to be very vocal, esp when she is not supposed to be lol! Her coat does take a little bit to groom, especially when she's shedding, but overall its not that bad :)

Members online

No members online now.