warts...

Has anyones dog ever had a wart?

Chloe has what appears to be a small wart on her face... from the pictures I see online that is what it looks like anyway.

It is pretty small and from what I read online they usually fall off on their own, so I dont really want to take her to the vet, she has been to the vet so much in her little life, if there isnt a reason to poke her I would rather not do it.

Is there anything I could put on it that would encourage it to fall off faster?

bubbatd

I don't really suggest this , but my Dad would tie thread around a tag wort and it would fall off from lack of blood .

Bailey08

This is one of the 5 million things I asked Bailey's vet about today. B has a little red bump under his chin. Vet said that it was common in juvenile dogs and was benign and would fall off on its own. He also said that if it appeared to be bothering Bailey (e.g., if he starts scratching at it -- I haven't noticed anything), I could put Neosporin on it.

I did some Googling because I forgot what he called it, and apparently it's a histiocytoma (there are lots of images if you want to compare it to what you see on Chloe).

I've both removed and waited... they will fall off...but god are they ugly...

removal (for two large ones) was $300 so I think in the future I'll just leave 'em.

right now it is very small and since it is near her mouth and I have her coat growing into the full yorkie coat, you cant see it without really looking for it, thankfully because I get grossed out pretty easily, lol... I am more worried about her passing it on to Armani, since I read they are contagious... they kiss each other all the time and there is no way I can prevent them from sharing a water bowl unless I separate them in different rooms, or crate and rotate, and thats not really something I am willing to do.

I guess we will see what happens, in about a month or so she is going to be spayed, so if it is still there then I will just have it removed, I just feel bad making her undergo a separate procedure.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I vote leave them!

I know one cocker that has loads of warts. The cocker's mom used to take him to the vet to get them removed but they always quickly grew back!
they fall off, grow back somewhere else!

Amanda885

yikes... costy! ..
warts are harmless really..i would say just leave it, unless it gets worse looking or feeling

adojrts

You may want to google plastic or ceramic food/water bowls/canine virus' causing warts, if you don't use stainless steel bowls. That could also be the problem.

Years ago, one of my dogs got a wart on the face, had it removed and it came back, then the vet asked if I used plastic bowls..................switched problem solved lol.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
You may want to google plastic or ceramic food/water bowls/canine virus' causing warts, if you don't use stainless steel bowls. That could also be the problem.

Years ago, one of my dogs got a wart on the face, had it removed and it came back, then the vet asked if I used plastic bowls..................switched problem solved lol.
thats funny because I had plastic bowls out the last few days and just thought today to change back to the stainless steel.

But it ended up not being a wart but rather some type of tumor (possibly cancerous)... I am waiting for a pathology report now before I decide what to do next.

PeggyPup

Love my BC and Pap!

Same here. When Luke was about 2 he got two warts on the top of his head. Vet told us to switch to stainless steel and the wart was gone forever!

Oh no, a tumor?! I'm so sorry to hear that. Please keep us updated, hopefully it's nothing cancerous!

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
thanks for pulling this up, I totally forgot to update.

The results came back clean... so we will just keep an eye on it and if it isn't gone by next month it will be removed when she is spayed!

And even though it ended up not being a wart, I took the advice and said goodbye to the plastic dishes and will only use the stainless steel now anyway... she doesnt need any more problems then she has!

ricky

A dog wart is the singular form of papillomas, meaning only one visible bump in an isolated area.

Warts usually occur on the aging skin of older dogs -- as if the loss of hair and muscle strength weren’t enough for them to deal with!

Their appearance will let you know if they are benign (non-cancerous) or cancerous.

There are three common appearances of dog warts:

1. Small, skin colored, resembling a mushroom on a stalk or a tiny finger. These common warts are benign and nothing to worry about, as long as they remain the same size and shape. It is still a good idea to have the dog wart examined by your veterinarian.

2. If that small, mushroom like wart begins to grow in size and ulcerate, your dog could have a problem. Have the wart diagnosed by your veterinarian, who will probably have it removed.

3. Black warts that are growing on the eyelid or around the lips could be malignant melanoma (potentially fatal skin cancer). These should be checked by your vet and removed immediately.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Oh looky, our "virtual doorman" (credited to Dekka!) now gives healthcare advice and his postings come courtesy of google, :lol-sign:

Members online

No members online now.