Dont put your puppy in a cargo hold!!!

The last post made me LOL.

My suggestions for shipping pups is tracking. I track my pups from every connection.
I try to book no connection..

They sometimes lose the paper work and they need someone to know in the connection or arriving airport to look for a animal.

When you make the booking get the tel# for cargo in each stop.
The only exception in Deltas case was Atlanta u dont get anyone direct there.

I never ship in hot weather cause simply my breed can survive the coldest temps.
The hot ones are not worth the risk for any dog let alone a coated breed.
I still freeze cups of water for them to lick.
I sent a bottled water, a slip lead and food for their trip.
I feed raw before they leave so they have less poops that are dry.

Train the pup in the crate before shipping it will smell like them and it will feel better.

I dont sell pups till 9 weeks sometimes 10 wks as a general rule and they are too big to fly. I did it once as carryon and bribed that pup with treats . He just barely fit..

So I took him out and he slept on my chest and we both feel off and some stupid fligth attendant freaked out on us.

I have had a few instances I needed to complain but only one pup that was shocked for a while.

Hope this helps. But I do appreciate the post makes me worry more and I cant stop shipping. We drive and meet people but most homes are on the other coast.

I remember I got a call from a Shiloh Breeder when a Movie star bougth her dog and wanted her to delivery all expenses paid for a Weekend in Hollywood.
She was afraid of flying before 9-11 imagine after she was like I wont deliver for a president let alone Ben Afflick.

He later sent his assitant on his Pvt plane to get the dog and that is how the dog was returned years later.

it seemes that the only safe way is to charter a plane and fly with your pets. And I dont mean getting a gulf stream or or lear jet but maby a Multi engine prop plane

Kama

I just wanted to add that I took my dog on a trans atlantic flight to Spain on Lufthansa. This was last winter. The flight was via Frankfurt and on the way there I had a long layover in Frankfurt. The airline took him off the flight, to a pet hotel where they took him for a walk, gave him water and then brought him back to the airport in time for the connecting flight. Overall, they did a very good job. My dog was a bit shaken given the circumstances, but I think Lufthansa was great. I would definitely recommend it if you are planning on travelling anywhere. European airlines seem to have a better idea on how to transport pets.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I would never do that.I dont think its for dogs to be shipped
Lots of people ship. Not that I have any clue what your post is supposed to say as it makes little sense. But there is nothing wrong with shipping dogs as long as you pay attention to temperature requirements and try to pick a non stop flight. To try to get the best dog possible when one wants to breed, often the best dog possible isn't the one in your back yard. You'd be lucky to find the best breeder you possibly could in your province or state. If wantign a pet I suppose one doesn't have to ship, but many peopel want dogs from far enough away not shipping isn't an option.

vmills

SimAlvin
There is a new airline catering to shipping pets

I made the mistake of shipping a puppy cross country via the cargo section and vowed never to do it again. When the poor thing arrived at his destination, he was so traumatized he would not come out of the crate. The food was gone, the water was disgusting, and the tiny crate smelled awful. He shook the entire trip home.

Fortunately, there is a new airline catering to pet transport - Pet Airways.

Lolas Dad

As a former long term airline employee (10+ years) and having numerous family members who have or are airline employees, I take umbrage to your post.

#1) dogs who are accustomed to them are not "traumatized for life" by being shipped in a crate.

#2) yes, an APU can be loud. Pets however are usually loaded last and kept on the cart until the last moment.

#3) it could be cooler or warmer in the cargo bin, esp. on taxi out and taxi in, but most dogs are pretty tolerant of these temperature variations. I don't ship if the ambient outside temp is going to be above 75 degrees. With smaller breeds, bedding can lessen the impact of cooler temps in the bin. Heat is the main enemy when shipping dogs.

Your post will make many people have great fear about something that the majority of dogs tolerate very well. Sometimes shipping is a necessity. If proper preparations are undertaken, it should not be anything for the dog OR the owner to worry about.
I have seen news reports of show dogs being shipped in the cargo hold and the dogs having problems. One dog managed to get out of the crate and ran off never to be found again.

I'd never fly my dog in a cargo hold and I drove cross country with my cat because I did not want to have him in the cargo hold. Luggage does get slammed around as another poster has said. I have had stuff damaged in my luggage after a cross country direct flight. You may want to defend the airlines because you work for them and has family that did and still are but you have to admit that the airlines are not perfect for handling luggage and other items without incident.

I used to work for Brinks. We also had an air courier service but contracted with Fed-EX to actually ship. We had to off load the bags that were sealed at the airport watch and count them as they were being loaded onto the aircraft, wait for the cargo hold door to be closed and watch the jet taxi down and take off as soon as it was airborne we were allowed to leave.

The next morning we would do the opposite for items coming in. We would be at the airport before the plane arrived. Then we would watch the FedEx guys off load the plane and count our bags as they came off. One time there were boxes that were marked radioactive on the conveyor that were hap hazardly placed there and were falling off the conveyor onto the ground :yikes: and not one person from Fed Ex seemed to care. They said it happens all the time.

So I know from experience on how guys load cargo holds on planes and how things get tossed around without a care in the world. :mad:

Lolas Dad

Lots of people ship. Not that I have any clue what your post is supposed to say as it makes little sense. But there is nothing wrong with shipping dogs as long as you pay attention to temperature requirements and try to pick a non stop flight. To try to get the best dog possible when one wants to breed, often the best dog possible isn't the one in your back yard. You'd be lucky to find the best breeder you possibly could in your province or state. If wantign a pet I suppose one doesn't have to ship, but many peopel want dogs from far enough away not shipping isn't an option.
Any good reputable breeder will NOT SHIP a dog. They will require that the future owner comes and picks up the dog themselves. A puppy mill broker on the other hand will ship dogs all day long.

bubbatd

I only shipped one pup . I knew the family , nice fall weather and a direct flight . He was in Denver before I even got home . I stuck around until I saw him safely loaded and in the air . Any delay and I would have yanked him .!! Dear Alex was Bubba's brother and didn't even dirty his cage !

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Any good reputable breeder will NOT SHIP a dog. They will require that the future owner comes and picks up the dog themselves. A puppy mill broker on the other hand will ship dogs all day long.
thats an incredibly broad and IMO ridiculous statement. plenty of pets go through travel totally fine, and plenty of GOOD breeders ship.
the ideal thing would be for owners to pick up their new puppy, but that isn't always possible. good breeders build up a solid relationship with buyers, especially those who plan on shipping and go from there.

Shipping is done only when weather is very good. dogs are put into a safe crate, sometimes even zip tied shut. with some water frozen and comfortable bedding

accidents do happen, and I feel for those who have lost pets during shipping. but the MAJORITY of animals that are shipped are totally fine when they arrive

as long as the breeder has a good relationship who hes shipping the pup to, and the people are on time and ready to pick up their new family member, then Im all for it.

I would love to go fly to a breeder to pick up my future puppy, but sometimes that isn't possible and the $300 shipping fee is just more do-able.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Thank you for calling Smudge's breeder irreputable. Maybe you need to get to know people within the dog show world a little better. So far you have come off as a donkey, but thank you.

Dekka

Just try me..
hmmm so if I ship a puppy to say.... ohh Georgia :D that makes me bad, but if it works out that the new owner is coming up and ends up picking up the pup then I am ok?

what a load of hooey!

bubbatd

Guess you can include me too Mafia !!! I would never buy on line without someone personally knowng the kennel and have them sent sight unseen . This gal picked out her pup at 4 weeks and had to wait until I'd ship at 12 weeks . Add: I also had one from Florida , but she prefered to drive up and pick her's up . Then there was a litter of Bubba's in Cleveland .....three pups were driven to me for their new homes . Luckily I had a good following and no one was disappointed .

Lolas Dad

Thank you for calling Smudge's breeder irreputable. Maybe you need to get to know people within the dog show world a little better. So far you have come off as a donkey, but thank you.
I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. We are both entitled to disagree with each others opinions but that does not give anyone the right to call each other names. What are we school children on a playground? :lol-sign:

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
So you can essentially call her dog a product of a mill of BYB but she can't offer a rebuttal?

Your logic is FAIL, good sir.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. We are both entitled to disagree with each others opinions but that does not give anyone the right to call each other names. What are we school children on a playground? :lol-sign:
you didn't state your opinion, nowhere in that post did you say "in my opinion" or "As far as Ive seen" or anything like that. you made a big generalized and insulting statement to not only those who breed dogs and ship pups responsibly, but those who own dogs from breeders who ship. and you expect people not to get offended?

"Any good reputable breeder will NOT SHIP a dog"
:rolleyes:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I don't think the issue is transporting an animal.

I think the issue is about the method of transportation.

I'd have real issue putting a dog in a cargo hold. Airlines are NOTORIOUS for losing and breaking things, no matter how comfy and warm the dog is I would not trust a 3rd party to look after my baby (essentially what a puppy is).

I wouldn't fly my niece out to France in the cargo, no matter how warm and cosy her crib was.

Not that I have a niece, but it's the same thing to me.

Members online