Disc Dog Training

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Well, I'm happy to say we've gotten a lot better in a week. He actually likes it now, as opposed to staring at me blankly while I rolled it, LOL. I doubt I'm a very good thrower, but he is an awesome catcher! He's very upupup and really likes to get off the ground all the way, it makes it look cool. He's really good at going behind me counter-clockwise on verbal, the other side is not as solid. He's getting better at bringing back the disc/not dropping until I ask. Now we need something a little nicer than the 'I love Petsmart' discs. :eek:

Thanks for the suggestion about tracking! He is really, really ball crazy so it was easy to reward any attempts at frisbee-chasing with a tennis ball. I found he really just needed more practice. It also helped to kind of throw it past him on a diagonal, so he would see me throwing it and be able to follow it, that taught him to track it so much better.

k9krazee

I think I need more structured things to do or work on.

I end up scattered and doing all the things or just playing fetch.

But I have to say, I am LOVING playing disc with Crosser. It's becoming all I think about on a nice day! I don't have a large area to play, and the field I've been using is not available anymore (UGH).

Videos to come soon! So hopefully I can get some feedback on things I'm doing right or completely wrong. I have no idea where to start or what to do (or what my goals should even be), but we're having fun!

SaraB

Yay! So glad everyone is having fun!

I have a .pdf of a checklist of disc things. You can pm me your email and I'll send it to you!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I think I need more structured things to do or work on.

I end up scattered and doing all the things or just playing fetch.

But I have to say, I am LOVING playing disc with Crosser. It's becoming all I think about on a nice day! I don't have a large area to play, and the field I've been using is not available anymore (UGH).

Videos to come soon! So hopefully I can get some feedback on things I'm doing right or completely wrong. I have no idea where to start or what to do (or what my goals should even be), but we're having fun!
haha I have the same problem, on both acounts :p I'm not structured, though I keep trying but can't seem to focus. Also, I woke up this morning and it was sunny, first time in a week, and all I could think about was playing disc! ^_^

I can't wait to see the video of crossbone!

I have a .pdf of a checklist of disc things. You can pm me your email and I'll send it to you!
Can you send it to me as well?? My email is the same as my name here @hotmail.com

Kootenay

I would love love love this, too, I'll send you a PM right now with my email address. Thank you!!!

Dex

I love all the excitement for disc happening on this thread!! Now.. if only the snow would stop maybe I could get out and do some more disc stuff outside!

I was out of town this weekend.. highlight of the trip was the green grass. Dex and I worked on our foot stall and it finally clicked for her! She can nail it every time now.

SaraB

Wellll we did have a great teacher! I would have passed on this trick without your help LOL
LOL, great teacher even though I caused Dex to ram her head into the wall?? "Just try it against a wall, the pressure of the wall will force her collect!" :rofl1:

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thanks SaraB for the list! That's super helpful, I printed it out and am going to put it in my doggy bag so I can make sure to have a plan each day.

Sekah

The Monster.
Uploading some photos of our recent disc excursion. I brought my husband so he could handle the dog while I handled the camera. It was chill, but so sunny.

Cohen tires out really fast, but I think we're both pretty out of shape after a long, cold and busy winter. We're working on some vaults and catching a disc from a back stall, but progress is slow. Her vault is super new, and it's more of a flip brushing my side than a real "vault" off my body. We're working on it though. :)

SaraB

Cohen tires out really fast, but I think we're both pretty out of shape after a long, cold and busy winter. We're working on some vaults and catching a disc from a back stall, but progress is slow. Her vault is super new, and it's more of a flip brushing my side than a real "vault" off my body. We're working on it though. :)
Great pics!

About the tiring out fast. Generally disc seems to be a lot more hard on dogs than other sports. I can generally do a 15 minute session in agility with either girl before they are tired, but we only do 7ish minute sessions of disc. It's better to keep them even shorter if you are trying to build drive in a dog, 5 minutes max.

Kootenay

Thanks SaraB for the list! That's super helpful, I printed it out and am going to put it in my doggy bag so I can make sure to have a plan each day.
THIS! Thanks so much for that!

Disc is the thing I am absolutely most excited to get into with futurepuppy. The waiting is killlllling me! Even once I have puppy, there'll be lots of growing up to do.

I've started some of the foundation stuff with Yarrow just for the fun of it (he has absolutely zero interest in frisbees, except as tug toys), I figure it is good practice for me.

k9krazee

Yes, thank you!!

Good to know its not just Crossbone who gets tired fast-- his body gets tired before he's "ready" to stop and I always have to be the bad guy who ends the game. I'm not sure that he'd ever stop. I've actually set a timer so I don't overdo it.

Dex

Yes, thank you!!

Good to know its not just Crossbone who gets tired fast-- his body gets tired before he's "ready" to stop and I always have to be the bad guy who ends the game. I'm not sure that he'd ever stop. I've actually set a timer so I don't overdo it.
The nice thing about ending the game before they are ready to stop is that it always leaving them wanting more more more!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Sekah, great pics! I'm kind of jealous of you guys and your adult dogs. Talon is still young so we haven't really done vaulting, and I'm so impatient to start!

whoo, 2 weeks till the disc competition! ^_^ ....(well, technically it's 2 weeks and 2 days, but i'm not counting those two days lol)

We've been working on his distance since it's D/A competition, he is doing so well! He caught a disc that was over 40ft away ^_^

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Has anyone done a distance and accuracy competition??

What did you get in your first comp? Do you do one round or two? What was the winning score, if you remember?

I'm going to one this Saturday with Talon! I'm so nervous. We went to the park and did two 60 second trial runs and I think he did pretty good.

Dex

Has anyone done a distance and accuracy competition??

What did you get in your first comp? Do you do one round or two? What was the winning score, if you remember?

I'm going to one this Saturday with Talon! I'm so nervous. We went to the park and did two 60 second trial runs and I think he did pretty good.
I'd say don't worry about the scores, go into looking to have a great time with your dog :)

The scores also depend on the field set up. A 30y catch could be 1-2-3 points depending on how the field is drawn. Some places do out of bounds, some do not. Novice usually gets one round, while Pro gets two.

Typically, once you start to develop a T/C game, you want to get at least five throws in during your 60 seconds. However, with my older dog, we get in three IF we are lucky because he showboats and I'm okay with that (he's having a good time, and that's what I want to see). He'll score anywhere from 1-3 points. Dex scores higher and I think her best was a combined two round score of 15. Her first ever T/C competition was at 10 months old and she score 1 point in Novice and took home 3rd place... placement all depends on who else shows up :p

Members online

No members online now.