Left Pivot (rally sign)

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
My dogs are funny. None of them will "perch". They will do everything to avoid putting their feet on the book I set down for them.

My left pivot was my starting point for the 3 steps back sign. That was my Laekenois. My Dutch understands heeling backwards. :)

monkeys23

She is so stinkin' cute! Its getting there. My one piece of advice would be if you are going to lure with the spoonful of goodies you should put it in your left hand. Reaching across your body is just awkward and makes it hard to place the reward so its in the right placement to reinforce straightness and your dog's butt won't tend to pop out to the left. It would also be much quicker for timing. I know all this because this is one of my bad habits my trainer pointed out that I'm working on fixing, lol.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
She is so stinkin' cute! Its getting there. My one piece of advice would be if you are going to lure with the spoonful of goodies you should put it in your left hand. Reaching across your body is just awkward and makes it hard to place the reward so its in the right placement to reinforce straightness and your dog's butt won't tend to pop out to the left. It would also be much quicker for timing. I know all this because this is one of my bad habits my trainer pointed out that I'm working on fixing, lol.
This. She's definitely getting it but your reward placement will likely lead to wrapping and forging. Switch your clicker hand and your spoon hand.

She looks good though! Once they get it, even a little bit, they tend to make great improvements in leaps and bounds.

Red.Apricot

Lol, yeah I know--I keep forgetting to switch back. She's been lagging while heeling, so I've been luring with my right hand to get her to pick her head up and look at my face (which has been working so yay) but it's going to mess this up. Thank you.

I'm super jazzed though, thanks.

And she is the cutest ever.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I've been working on left pivots hardcore lately. Iz goes in for our rally advanced legs this coming weekend and for my itty bitty dog that's been stepped on and is foot shy, it's been lots of work. But now that's she's got it, she's brilliant and so cute when she's slamming her hip into my leg lol.

Red.Apricot

So this is today, after the park. She was more up and crisp there, but whatever, we're getting closer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5d0b9njCOk

Yay!!! Are you going to do OB? Say yes. Please? Say it.
It was always my plan to do OB--I wasn't even interested in rally until I realized that my performance anxiety DOES apply to being in the ring, too. So, we're going to get our three rally titles and then do OB once I have some more ring experience. We've been training for OB since she was 8 weeks old, lol--it's what I bought her for. That and tracking, lol, and all we're doing is rally right now... owel.

Bragging: we got our RN in three runs, got 1st and high in trial and two 2nds (and those were on consecutive days) which I'm pretty proud of, since I've never trialed with a dog before.

I've been working on left pivots hardcore lately. Iz goes in for our rally advanced legs this coming weekend and for my itty bitty dog that's been stepped on and is foot shy, it's been lots of work. But now that's she's got it, she's brilliant and so cute when she's slamming her hip into my leg lol.
That's adorable! I wanna see!

I have such a crush on Izzy, btw. I'm constantly pushing videos and pictures of her at my boyfriend like LOOK SEE SMALL DOGS CAN DO STUFF LOOKLOOK and she's BEAUTIFUL, lol.

Also, left pivots are hard even for dogs that HAVEN'T been stepped on.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
That's adorable! I wanna see!

I have such a crush on Izzy, btw. I'm constantly pushing videos and pictures of her at my boyfriend like LOOK SEE SMALL DOGS CAN DO STUFF LOOKLOOK and she's BEAUTIFUL, lol.

Also, left pivots are hard even for dogs that HAVEN'T been stepped on.
Aweh! That's awesome. I'll have to try and get video sometime. Iz got her novice with a 4th and 2 HICs so I'm hoping we can at least pull off 3 legs this weekend. Shouldn't have a problem unless the world implodes. A couple HICs would be nice though as it is my home club show. I'll have to weasel my friends into videoing me =)

Red.Apricot

Aweh! That's awesome. I'll have to try and get video sometime. Iz got her novice with a 4th and 2 HICs so I'm hoping we can at least pull off 3 legs this weekend. Shouldn't have a problem unless the world implodes. A couple HICs would be nice though as it is my home club show. I'll have to weasel my friends into videoing me =)
That's awesome! Way to go Izzy!

I hope she does, I'll be rooting for her.

And you must get video, it is the law. ;]

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
We've been training for OB since she was 8 weeks old, lol--it's what I bought her for. That and tracking, lol, and all we're doing is rally right now... owel.
Great! Sorry, didn't know, and certainly didn't mean to offend...

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I wasn't offended at all--I'm so sorry if it came off that way. I'm just excited to talk to someone about OB. :]
WOOOOT well then talk my ear off, lady! :D I'm all about it. Maybe I should make a thread like our agility training one!

Red.Apricot

WOOOOT well then talk my ear off, lady! :D I'm all about it. Maybe I should make a thread like our agility training one!
You so should! I feel like we have a long way to go, and the more learning I do now the smoother our sailing will be, lol.

What I need is more practice in show environments--that's our biggest issue.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
You so should! I feel like we have a long way to go, and the more learning I do now the smoother our sailing will be, lol.

What I need is more practice in show environments--that's our biggest issue.
That's Keeva's problem too! Her ears are swiveling all around. At one Rally run she wouldn't down. This dog has gorgeous, stop as soon as you hear the command and not one step more, downs in motion, and she wouldn't down at all because she wanted to look around. :rolleyes: *sigh*

We're working on it. lol

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Sorry to butt in to the conversation LOL! But that's Kimma's problem, too, and exactly why we are pursuing Rally for a bit before OB (distractions in specifically that type of environment). I never thought of doing Rally, but just finishing her RN has been super helpful. Though I'm shocked we got the title in 3 attempts as the first time out she wouldn't even sit at the first sign HAHAHA. Boy was I embarrassed! But once she starts going, she's great. Snappy pivots, good DOR, nice retrieves, and consistent heel position. Put her in a ring, and forget it! Probably doesn't help that I'm nervous, too.

Of course, I was worried about distractions at agility and she just does her thing no issues. So I dunno. I would LOVE if we started an obedience thread like the agility one :)

ETA - I refer to the ears swiveling as "radar dish ears" - and Kimma has them :p

Red.Apricot

Haha, that's Elsie. The cutest thing is that she knows not to sniff... on the ground. So she wants to sniff way up in the air instead, which she NEVER does, y'know? And then of course I have bad ring-anxiety so I fall to pieces, which I know doesn't help her trust me (which makes me more nervous and so on).

Elsie refused a down on our third RN leg, too. She just stood there staring at me like, "THAT'S NOT WHAT WE DISCUSSED."

monkeys23

Lily was having one of those days today when we were working on left pivot. She was like "What do you mean? I totally don't do that." Oh dogs... LOL.

We totally need an Rally/OB thread like the agility one!

I was inspired by this thread to work on the left pivot with Squash, even though we are firmly at the novice level. From some of the suggestions here, once he learned to heel backwards I turned it into a game where I spun around backwards in a circle while he stayed in heel.

Being Squash, he loves that game SO MUCH that now when we are practicing the pivot, sometimes he keeps going and ends up behind me facing to my left or even on my right side facing backwards.

I think these should be introduced as new skills. :D

Members online

No members online now.