This dog is listed as a Pomeranian. . .

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
but is it even possible for a Pom to be merle? I'm no expert on Poms, but I've never head of one this color.

She's a gorgeous little pup. She's for sale and the ad says she's 12 weeks old. I wonder what she could be mixed with? What do you guys think?

Pomeranian Female-Blue Merle W/blue Eyes-12 Wks in Toledo, Ohio

Disclaimer: Not my photos.

Last edited:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
To me, in the second picture, when you can just see her back, she looks like she could be a Pom (besides the color), but her face isn't as delicate as a Pom's. The face looks like a herding breed to me, and that would explain the color. But she also has a curly tail like a spitz.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Poms can be merle... It's kind of like merle in chihuahuas though. It's a very controversial color and was almost certainly added in by crossbreeding fairly recently as it is chihuahuas too. Merle is such a fad color lately and has been crossed into a ton of breeds in recent years. Pits, cocker spaniels, chihuahuas, etc. I've even seen an advertisement for merle papillons, though I think that was a freak thing. It's dominant so the likelihood of it NOT coming in via a cross is very very slim. That and the added problems associated with the merle gene is what makes it controversial. I know the usual 'suspects' for the crosses are miniature dachshunds and shelties. That dog looks sheltieish to me.

The difference with chis and poms versus say... merle cocker spaniels is they can be shown (only AKC though I'm pretty sure, most other registries have forbidden them). I know there's a lot of anti-merle people in chis still though even though the breed club is at the moment allowing it.

I am pretty sure there are merle Ch poms but it's a similar story to the chis. The color is likely to stay in both breeds but almost certainly entered the breeds via cross breeding.

http://www.cantonpomeranians.com/merles-are-exotic
Arcadian Pomeranians
Pom Haven Pomeranians

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Ooh, thanks, Laur! I didn't know that.
She doesn't look like a purebred Pom to me, though.
I wish I could just go snatch her up.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Yep, the debate about merle in chihuahuas is interesting. I always think of Jessie's Chloe. I love Chloe. :p

BTW, the picture in that article almost gave me a heart attack. I wasn't expecting that. :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'm not sure what my own personal opinions on the whole thing are since it really doesn't affect me. My gut feeling is the American clubs should follow suit with the others and DQ them. But I saw that ad for merle paps once and my jaw dropped. I'd be more than annoyed if they started showing up in my breed.

StillandSilent

It looks just like my coworkers pet store pom, so she could well be purebred. Hers grew to be about 25lbs also.

Members online