Why Do Dogs Prefer Their Own Breed?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
VIctor prefers standard poodles to all others at the dog park because they are the ones most likely to play with him. He did go way overboard showing off to Mollie which is the closest to his own breed he has been around. Pepper seems to pair up with a dog, usually a girl the same size as she is at the dog park. Mary doesnt' care. She is happy with everyone.

joce

I have definitely seen this in dobes! Its like only other dobes can understand their goofiness:p Byron tries to play with other dogs of random breed that don't know him and they are kinda put off by the flying around and goofiness, while another dobe joins right in with the same thing.

Romy

Taxiderpy
We definitely see this in Strider. He is perfectly happy to play with any dog, but there is a definite "dumbing down" in his play, meaning, the other dog is running as fast as caninely possible...and he is cantering ahead barely out of reach.

Robert finally gave me the green light on another sighthound when we had a borzoi buddy for him come visit. Holy Moly. Neither of us had any IDEA he could move that fast, and play so hard for so long. Having Charlie as a play buddy doesn't even come close.

It's definitely true in Brussels Griffons! Honey likes to play with other dogs that are small and that like to play chase and wrestle--but when she gets to play with another Griffon it's a whole other level of all out sprints and what I call "griffy rolls" when they make them selves wipe out and roll around at full speed while playing chase.

Bo loves dogs of all kinds. He gets really excited to see them. The only breed that he didn't get all whiny about was a pug. It was almost like he didn't recognize it as a dog. It kinda made me laugh to see that he didn't seem to believe it was real. Maybe he thought it was a stuffed animal. It was incredibly cute and calm.

Giny

I see that with poodles too. It's probably because they can read their own breeds body language better, that's my thought on it. lol

Bailey08

I agree that it probably has something to do with play type, though my dog is a mutt so that's all I have to base it on. :) Bailey likes fairly physical wrestling type play (but not super physical like I've seen some breeds, like huskies, play). He'll run with the herding dogs, and initiate the running, but I think he prefers wrestling. He's actually very easy going with other dogs, though he stays away from really dominant dogs who get in his face.

He also has a thing for pugs. He likes to hump them. :rolleyes:

Tahla9999

Hmmmm, maybe it is because when they were pups, the dogs that they interacted with was each other and their parents. If they were a purebred, they would see dogs that look like themselves.

sisco16

koda bear
My sibes really seem to get excited to play when they see another sibe, they then have boundless eneregy, where she would just sort of bounce around and play with any other dog.

RD

Are you dead yet?
My dogs are like this. Border Collies are their favorites.

Eve tends to get lip-lifty with new, pushy dogs at first, but she's always been okay with every Border Collie she's met, despite their behavior.

Athebeau

Our Newf's love other Newf's the male HATES other male Newf's as they are competition. Our Newf's love all other dogs, my Dobe mix loves all other dogs, my Rottweiler loves Shepherds, Lab's, Newf's but she gets very aggressive towards other Rotties.

For myself I believe it's what the pup imprinted on during the critical period of socialization. You may find dogs from big breeders who don't get their pups out in the "real" world these pups may find comfort in their own breed as they imprinted so only on their litter mates and Mom.

Amber

I don't know if this has been posted, but do you think it could have anything to do with the dog being raised with their littermates (of a similar breed to that dog.)

Beagles are clannish. They speak one another's language...they do not get offended by long intense sniffing of privates or the need to be ON one another when sleeping. Many other dogs, and breeds...DO.

Doesn't mean they CANNOT interact with other dogs/breeds....you've seen mine. It just means they PREFER...to be with their own if they have an option.

I will go you one further S&S...my red Beagles always prefer to be with other Red's if given a choice...and my Tri's...with other Tri's. When I had a litter of 2 red and one tri girls...the 2 reds almost NEVER interacted with their sister...I always felt rather bad for her.
Oh so its NOT just my beagles! haha. I always tell people I got Kody when I lived in an apartment so I requested a "stackable" dog lol. I have noticed when I bring the beegs to the dog park if there are others, they all group up. Sometimes they even bring in a bassett or two. Until they see how long his ears are and then they SHUN him! Just kidding.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Keira, on the other hand, adores her breed! Probably because there is no other breed out there that seems to play like Dobermans do. Not that I've been around anyway. She can spot one a mile away and she starts wiggling and gets all excited. Well, until she gets close to one.. then she's very respectful, but still very happy. She's much more reserved around most other dogs.
My dobes have always recognized and acknowledged their own breed. Ilsa loved other dobes, Ronin loves all female dobes, and Kaylee gets all moon eyed and giddy around others of her own breed. :)

F

FluffyZooCrew

My guys all love each other, and I definitely see a connection between all my dachshunds, and between my beagles Bo and Katie, and especially Bo and Sam who is a beagle mix. Not so much between my Shih Tzu's, but Denver (foster pittie) and Blue have a very special bond, they absolutely adore each other.

No idea why they like their own breeds or how they recognize them, but it's something I've definitely noticed.

Members online

No members online now.